10th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Europe, on a bus driving through the city

On the set: Aaron, Carole, Kevin, other people

Carole: Hey, Aaron! Now that the last class was cancelled, let’s go shopping, huh? (Looks at Aaron expectantly.)

Kevin (groaning): Again? You guys have been doing nothing else for the past three days! Are there even clothes left that you haven’t tried on yet?!

Carole (teasingly to Kevin and in a low voice so that Aaron doesn’t hear): Oh, come on! Don’t pretend like you didn’t enjoy seeing her (meaningful nod in Aaron’s direction) all dolled up?

Kevin evasively and while looking at the cloudless sky outside: I don’t know what you’re talking about…

Carole just rolls her eyes. Of course, it hasn’t gone unnoticed by her that her childhood friend has developed some interest in the brunette who is currently looking at the passing scenery; completely unaware that she’s the discussion topic of the two. Occasionally she’s looking around the bus with her brows furrowed but most of the time she’s just staring out the window.

At first Carole had thought that Kevin was just working his usual charms on Aaron; being the playboy that he is. And she had firmly told him to stop it.

But he wouldn’t listen no matter what and after a while Carole had noticed that even though he was still surrounded by girls, he no longer gave them pecks or placed his hands at places where they shouldn’t be. Compared to before, it now actually seemed like normal friendship.

Carole had always imagined Kevin to still be flocked by females even when he will no longer be able to walk on his own two feet and will have more wrinkles than women. But it looks like the girl who has the power to turn this playboy (that used to claim that two or three girls are just not enough for him!) into your normal love-troubled man has finally appeared. The way he’s desperately trying to hide his embarrassed face right now is the best proof.

-----

In the end, Kevin manages to convince the two girls that spending this sunny afternoon inside shops again is a waste and they agree to go to the park instead. It is an early summer afternoon and when they arrive at the park, it is already packed with other people who had the same idea. Some are pick-nicking; others are reading a book or just simply lying on the grass and tanning their skin.

They finally find a free spot beneath an apple tree and settle down. Carole’s eyes almost pop out of her sockets when Kevin takes of his jacket and spreads it out on the grass for Aaron to sit on.

Carole (completely stunned): Blow me down! That is his precious Diesel leather jacket!! When I once accidentally sprayed some water on it I almost paid for it with my dear life!! Holy cow, that idiot is in it that deep?!

Aaron, who doesn’t know all that, just appreciatively sits down. She lets her eyes travel over her surroundings; a small frown on her face. But then she sighs as if she’s dismissing a thought and directs her eyes to the roof of leaves above her. Kevin follows her eyes but he can’t detect anything unusual among the rich green.

Suddenly, Aaron gets up again and starts climbing the tree.

Kevin (surprised): Aaron? What are you doing?

Aaron (matter-of-factly): Climbing a tree.

Kevin: I can see that! I’m asking WHY you suddenly want to climb this tree!

Aaron (concentrating on climbing): …just a moment…

She’s now moving out on one of the tree’s branches and Kevin watches worriedly while constantly changing his position such that he could catch her, if she were to fall.

Carole (worriedly): Aaron, what are you doing?! It’s dangerous to go out on the branch that far!

Aaron: Just… a little… more…

She reaches out her hand and breaks off something from the tree.

Aaron (disappointed): (Sighs) It’s not ripe yet…

Carole (incredulously): You… you wanted to pick an apple?!

Kevin: Are you an idiot?! It’s the beginning of summer, right now! The season for apples is in autumn! You’re studying to be a biological laboratory assistant and you don’t even know that?! Seriously…!

Aaron (subdued): I’m sorry…

Kevin: Whatever… Just get down now, will you?

Aaron: Yes, sirrr!

She tries to crawl back to the stem of the tree but she keeps sliding back to her initial position.

Aaron (embarrassed): Errm… I can’t get down.

Damn, I feel like a cat that’s stuck on a tree! *cries*

Kevin face-palms himself.

Kevin (mumbling to himself): Why did already see that coming? (Then louder so that Aaron can hear.) Alright, then. Just jump down and I’ll catch you.

Aaron (a little panicky): Are you crazy?! Can’t you see how high this is?! We’ll both break all our bones!!

Kevin: Don’t exaggerate! And I’m not that weak.

Aaron: Don’t YOU exaggerate! It’s MY neck who’s in danger!! Carole, call the fire brigade!

Although this is going to be the embarrassment of my life!! Hu-hu-hu-hu…!

Kevin: Don’t you trust me even a little?

Aaron: That’s not it…

Kevin: Then jump. I’ll catch you. I promise.

Aaron: I…

Kevin: If we have to call the fire brigade, then you’ll be in the newspapers tomorrow, you know…

That is a defeating argument.

Aaron: Fine… I’ll jump…

Kevin: Good girl!

Aaron (threateningly): If you don’t catch me you’re dead!

Kevin: Sure, sure… so, let’s count to three. One, two, th—

Aaron: Wait!

Kevin: No backing out, now…!

Aaron: I’m not backing out… But I need to get in position first… (She slides down the branch such that she is now hanging on it like a sloth.) And I’ll count…

Kevin: As you wish…

Aaron: Alright! So… One, two, (draws breath) THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Kevin: Okay, you can open your eyes again. You’ve landed safely on the ground…

Aaron slowly pries one eye open but finds she can’t see anything. She hastily opens the other one, too. But even then everything remains all black.

Aaron (panicking): OMG, did I turn blind from the impact?!!!

Carole! Kevin! I became BLIND!!!! What do I DOOOOO???!!!!

Carole: Lift your head, you idiot…

Immediately Aaron looks up and is blinded by the brightness that is the daylight.

Aaron: Ahaha, so I’ve just been laying face-down…

She then grows aware of her current position in general. She’s lying on top of Kevin whose arms are firmly wrapped around her shoulders and waist. He really did catch her…

Suddenly, Aaron looks over her shoulder into the crowd of people that are lazing around in the park; her brows furrowed. There it is again… That feeling she’s had ever since they had left the university campus this afternoon. The feeling that someone is watching her…

The first time she’d noticed was when they were waiting for the bus to arrive. Then in the bus itself and now even here at the park. And now she even felt something like an irritated aura…?!

She waved it aside. All this just sounded way too unrealistic! Hahaha…?

But even when she went home later and also throughout the next day; that peculiar feeling didn’t disappear…

And the day after that, too… And the one after that… And the one after…

 

Scene 2: Europe, cafeteria on the university campus at around ten o’clock.

On the set: Aaron, a certain guy, other people

It’s break time and Aaron rushes down to the cafeteria to buy herself a snack. She’s a bit in a hurry because that stupid racoon of a professor (He got dubbed racoon by his students for the simple reason that he looks like one!) had overrun again...!

Fortunately, she already knows exactly what she wants to buy and needn’t waste time on deciding. Thus she skids to a stop in front of the pastries and checks the stock: There’s exactly one left.

Aaron: Pheww, lucky! These pastries are just too popular…!

She reaches out to state her claim on it (= grab it ^^) when precisely at that moment the guy standing beside her does the same.

Their hands touch above the wanted pastry and they turn to each other surprised.

Aaron: I, um…

I want itttt!! But…

Um you can have it…

She pulls back her hand and grabs another pastry instead. She then walks to the counter, pays her pastry and heads back to the lecture hall. The lecture is going to continue in a few minutes and if she doesn’t want the racoon commenting her late-coming, then she’s gotta hurry up.

But just as she’s about to enter the lecture hall someone lays his hand on her shoulder making her turn around startled. And to her amazement it is no other than the guy from the cafeteria holding that pastry out to her. When Aaron had run off, he had quickly grabbed that popular pastry after he’d overcome the initial surprise, had paid for it and run after Aaron.

Aaron (dumbfounded): What…?

Guy while making his voice sound deeper on purpose: Please take it. I insist.

Aaron (blinking): Huh? Errr… I…

She hasn’t noticed before but this guy’s get up is rather… unusual… He’s wearing a high-collar coat and his scarf is pulled almost up to his eyes despite it being a hot summer day. And he’s wearing huge dark sun-glasses even though they are inside a building… But his hair is charmingly dishevelled and Aaron can’t help but think that he somehow looks very handsome…

Aaron: Maybe it’s the mystery-vibe…? Because I can’t see his face at all!

Guy: Um, won’t you take it, please?

Aaron: Um, but I can’t just accept it… that’d be weird, no?

Guy: Hmm, then how about you tell me your name in return?

Aaron could have sworn that he smiled charmingly underneath his scarf!

Aaron: Is he hitting on me….?!

Guy: I’m not trying to pick you up, though…

Aaron: Mind-reader?!

Guy (kindly): So, will you take it or not?

Aaron: I…

Guy: Please?

Aaron: Just why do I feel like I can’t refuse this guy anything?! I can’t even see his face and yet I know that he’s playing his most adorable puppy eyes on me!!

Oh, damnit!

(Defeated) I’ll take it… (She takes it out of his outstretched hand. Then somewhat shyly) Thank you…

Guy (while smiling brightly underneath his scarf): You’re welcome! You looked like you wanted it a lot…

Aaron (slightly embarrassed): Haha, yeah… It’s my favourite actually…

Guy: That was more than obvious… (Smiles tenderly)

Um, so… farewell…

He turns around and walks away.

But suddenly Aaron remembers the pastry she bought herself.

Aaron: Ah, WAIT!!

She runs up to him and he looks at her curiously.

Aaron: Um, then would you like the pastry I bought, instead? I can’t eat the two of them anyway…!

Or I’ll get fat…! Unfortunately…

Guy (pleasantly surprised): Uh, you sure?

Aaron: Yup! So, here you go! (Hands the pastry to him.)

Guy: Erm, thanks, I guess…

Aaron: My pleasure…

Guy: Well, then… Bye…

He turns around again and continues towards the exit. He’s already reached the door when Aaron takes heart and shouts after him.

Aaron: AARON! MY NAME IS AARON!

The guy looks over his shoulders and sees Aaron hurriedly disappear inside the lecture hall. And a wide loving smile spreads on his lips.

Guy (softly): Aaron… Strength… What a beautiful and fitting name for my Wings…!

 

----------------------------

I really really need to thank all my lovely commentors who always lift my spirit with their comments!!! <333 BIG HEARTFELT THANK YOU!!! XDD