33rd Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Seoul, cloud practice room, two days after SHINee’s returns from their trips

On the set: SHINee

A catchy and playful tune is filling the room and four figures can be seen moving to the beat of it. They alternately switch between practicing with and without music and always repeat the same part multiple times. But every time they do so they get better at it.

Finally they decide to take a break and they walk over to the fifth person in the room who has been sitting at the wall and observing them quietly but attentively all this while.

Jonghyun (after plopping himself down in front of Taemin): And, how did it look?

He smiles lopsidedly. Even though every fangirl would have been in heaven from watching them right now, but nonetheless they had only started practicing the new choreography yesterday.

Taemin (with a grin and while handing out water bottles to everyone): Looks good…

Key: No, seriously, maknae; we looked like monkeys dancing their tribal dance, right? (Then grumbling) I wonder if our fans would still support us, if they knew we look like this every time we start practicing!

The others just smile quietly; they know how their friend hates to look uncool.

Taemin (smiling encouragingly): I wasn’t kidding. Although, you’re only practicing the steps right now and nothing is in sync yet, the moves by themselves look actually quite good already! (Adding after seeing Key throw him a sceptical glance) Really!

Finally, Key seems to let it go and their conversation turns towards another topic.

Minho: And Taeminnie, what did the doctor say to your rib?

This morning, Taemin had finally gone to the hospital to get his rib examined by a local doctor. Mainly because Aaron just wouldn’t talk about anything else anymore. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to go but he had been so busy from the very moment he had landed in Incheon Airport that he simply couldn’t find the time. Moreover he had been careful to rest as much as possible and with the medicaments he had gotten from the doctor in Switzerland he hasn’t even been in pain.

But to calm Aaron’s, s’ and also his mother’s – apparently Minho had had the stupid idea to give her a call – worries he had cancelled his appearance on a radio show this morning and had finally visited the hospital. But of course, they had said the same thing again as the doctor in Europe.

Taemin (in a light voice): Oh, nothing special. Just about the same as the other doctor said too. That there wasn’t much he could do except giving me the pain killers and some minerals like magnesium, calcium and so on to help the healing process. So, no worries!

Onew: And what about the rest issue? For how long do you have to rest?

Taemin: Well, for about six weeks I can’t do any strenuous activities but absolute rest is also not recommended either. (Adding upon seeing his hyung’s sceptical looks) Really! Doing some coughing and breathing exercises every hour even helps preventing pneumonia or something! And the doctor in Switzerland also said the same!

Key (exhaling): Well, just don’t overexert yourself. And if you feel even an ounce of pain, go rest or to the hospital right away, arasso? (Raises his index finger at Taemin warningly)

Taemin (with an obedient smile): Of course, hyung. I’ll—

But he doesn’t get to finish his sentence because just that moment the door of the practice room flies open and Kihyun comes rushing in.

(Entry: Kihyun)

Instantly, Taemin’s expression turns serious. He hadn’t seen his bodyguard from his trip to Europe again ever since the trip had ended and the fact that he now wore a rather troubled look couldn’t mean anything good either.

Taemin (walking towards Kihyun): Hi Kihyun, what brings you here?

Kihyun (to all the members): Hello everybody. (Then turning to Taemin) We’ve got a problem; one of the camera men accidentally recorded everything. (Exhales heavily and looks at Taemin empathetically) I think you’ll need to prepare yourself.

Taemin (confused like the rest of SHINee): Prepare myself? And what exactly did they record?

Kihyun (while scratching the back of his head and only barely meeting Taemin’s eyes): You know… that time on the observation deck… after we filmed the Jungfrau version of Dream Girl…

Kihyun looks at Taemin questioningly hoping that the young man understood what he was hinting at so he doesn’t have to explain further. And finally it does dawn on Taemin and his eyes widen in dismay.

Taemin (scandalised): They filmed my whole—?! (Breaks off because he’s unable to finish his sentence and exhales exasperated) But that’s my private life! How can he—!

Kihyun (trying to explain the situation): He didn’t do it on purpose! He was already leaving when he heard you jumping on the fence again. (Ignored scolding comments from Taemin’s hyungs) He turned around and wanted to pull you down again but then you shouted. He was so surprised he stopped in his tracks and just watched you. All this while he still carried the camera on his shoulder and didn’t know it was still running! He feels really apologetic about it too; just now he kept repeating that he was sure he had it turned off. So please calm down! Your rib—

But his rib was Taemin’s least care right now.

Taemin (interrupting Kihyun with a dark face): Just now?

Kihyun contritely: They are watching the footage from your trips right now… They called me to ask if I knew what was going on… Since I had been with you even at the times when they hadn’t…

Taemin: Where?

Kihyun (frowning confused): Huh?

Taemin (getting louder with every word until he’s shouting): Where are they watching that goddamn footage right now?! Ouch!

He winces from employing too much force on his lungs and thus ribs as well and the others immediately crowd around him.

Minho (worried): Taemin! Are you alright?

Key (just as worried): Yah, calm down!

But Taemin just pushes them aside.

Taemin (through gritted teeth): I’m alright. It doesn’t hurt at all…!

But at the same time he as to breath in short, flat, breaths to keep the pain on a bearable level. s and Kihyun glance at each other worriedly. It is rare for them to see their maknae this riled up.

Then, Onew gently puts his hand on Taemin’s shoulder.

Onew: Alright, we understand. (Although they actually haven’t got a clue what is going on right now) Jonghyun and Key will go ahead with Kihyun and try to get the situation under control. (Nods at them and they leave hurriedly; then looks at Taemin again) Now, you sit down for a moment and wait until the pain subsides. Nothing good will come from you collapsing in the hallways.

And as Taemin can’t argue against this, he obediently albeit grudgingly does as his hyung has ordered. And after he has rested for about five minutes while cooling his chest with a cold pack he really doesn’t feel pain anymore even when taking a deep breath.

Onew and Minho help him up and the three of them also head to the small movie theatre where the production team is watching the footage.

 

Scene 2: Seoul, somewhere in the corridors of the SMent building

On the set: Jonghyun, Key, Kihyun, some other SMent family members walking on the corridors

Key and Jonghyun are hurriedly following Kihyun down the hallways and Key finally gets a chance to satisfy his curiosity.

Key: Erm, sorry to ask this but may we know what exactly is going on? Since we’re supposed to ‘get the situation under control’ and all…

Jonghyun agreeing: Yeah, just what did that camera man film that our maknae needs to prepare himself?

Kihyun: Err, is a bit awkward for me to say this but… umm… (Scratches his neck and avoids Key’s and Jonghyun’s eyes) he recorded Taemin’s confession…

Jonghyun and Key stop short.

Key and Jonghyun in sync: WHAT?!

Key still stupefied: Our maknae did what?

Jonghyun with a smirk: Boy, I got to see that!

And he starts off down the hallway.

Key shouting after him: Yah, Jonghyun! Wait!

But Jonghyun is already not listening anymore so Key and Kihyun are left no other choice but to follow him.

 

Scene 3: Seoul, SMent building, a moderately small room that was built especially for viewing footage and clips in production

On the set: The overall producers, coordinators, and of the ‘SHINee’s One Fine Day’ project, Taemin’s filming crew (because they are watching his footage right now) including Kihyun, Key, Jonghyun

The moment Jonghyun, Key, and Kihyun step into room all heads turn towards them. But as soon as they see that Taemin was not with them they turn away again.

But neither Key nor Jonghyun notice any of that. Because on the big screen at the front Taemin can be seen bending down towards a brown-haired girl and kissing her tenderly.

Jonghyun whispering to Key after he has stared at the still picture on the screen for several moments: Our maknae has really grown up, hasn’t he? (Grins)

Key simply gives him a light punch and then drags him towards the overall director.

Key (intentionally cheerful): It looks like you’ve filmed quite a scandal here, director…

Director turning around to them: Jonghyun. Key. (Nods at them) It quite does look like that, doesn’t it? (Looks at the screen again for a moment) It’s excellent footage… From a producer’s point of view, I mean. Too bad we can’t use it! (Laughs)

Jonghyun and Key give it another look too and they have to agree; it really had been recorded perfectly. Even the light is just right.

Jonghyun towards the director again: So, what are you going to do with it now?

Director (shrugging his shoulders): Well, I guess we’ll first have to see what the president thinks.

A seething voice from behind them: Absolutely NOT!

Instantly, all eyes turns to the door.

(Entry: Taemin, Onew, Minho)

Taemin (continuing in the same heated voice): Just delete it and pretend it never existed to begin with!

Director (apologising): I’m afraid it’s already too late for that. We already sent a copy to the president. He was in a hurry for an important meeting that’s why he could only get a few glances at it. But he said he’d look at it as soon as the meeting’s over.

Taemin momentarily closes his eyes and curses under his breath.

Taemin (flaring up again): That’s my private life you filmed there, you know?! And you just handed it over to the president like that?!

Just then the coordi noona steps next to them.

Coordi noona to the both of them: Um, the president’s secretary just called me. The meeting just ended and Lee Soo Man said you should come to his office right away. (When she sees everyone getting up and heading towards the door) Ah, only the director and Taemin though. Also he said to bring the footage and any copies of it along as well.

Taemin exhales audibly and lowers his head. Massaging his forehead he throws s a glance. They have been watching him attentively all this while and when they see him look at them now they give him an encouraging smile. He now doesn’t have a choice anymore anyway. Accepting that, Taemin once more gives an unwilling sigh but then turns around and walks to the door.

When he passes s Minho puts his hand on Taemin’s shoulder, making the maknae halt for a moment.

Minho: See you later.

Taemin gives a small nod and then he’s gone.

 


Hey everyone~

So, here's the next chapter... ^^ Hope you enjoyed it XD

Also, I'd like to tell you guys that I'll probably be away from AFF again during August because of my exams... >< Really sorry for that!! But I still plan to write another or maybe even two chapters until then! :DD