14th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Europe, Aaron’s room

On the set: Aaron, NamTei on the phone

To be honest, Aaron didn’t completely believe NamTei when he said that he only called her to thank her. She couldn’t say what makes her think that way though; it’s like her sixth sense, the NamTei sense, telling her that he wasn’t telling her everything… But since NamTei seemingly doesn’t want to tell her, she decides not to ask either.

Thus, they talk about this and that for quite some time until Aaron suddenly realises something.

Aaron: Hey, I just noticed, but you actually have the same birthday as Taemin! And you’re even the same age!! Such a coincidence, don’t you think?

NamTei: Oh, I do? Today is Taemin’s birthday also?? I didn’t know… (A/N: Heh, who are you kidding…! ;-P)

Aaron: You didn’t know? (In a theatrical manner) Ahhh! How ignorant this world has become! Just where art thou, soul that can match my spirit?!

NamTei (unfazed): Ri-ght…

Aaron (continuing with her antics): Ahhh, how tragic my existence! Even he doth not understand the sufferings of a soul this superior!

NamTei: Aren’t you being a teeny-weeny little bit full of yourself right now?

Aaron: Ahhh! A stake driven through this innocent heart! Accusing me of conceit and vanity! Me! The epitome of modesty and… and… unvanited-etid-ut-et-pephum-bleh—

NamTei: Phuahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Unvanetid-ited-et-hehehehehehe! What the…! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aaron tries to act huffy but loses to the marvellous sound of NamTei’s laughter. Moreover, hearing it for the first time, it is just too contagious to resist. And before she knows it they’re both laughing like maniacs without actually remembering what exactly they’re laughing about again…

 

Scene 2: Seoul, just outside a certain dorm

On the set: Three in the dark unrecognisable figures

Figure 1: Damn, where is that stupid monkey! We agreed to meet more than half an hour ago!

Figure 2 (somewhat dreadful): I just remembered; a new store selling grilled chicken wings opened a few streets away today…

The three figures groan simultaneously.

Just then, another figure comes running down the hallway and halts panting before the other three.

(Entry: Figure 4)

Figure 4: Sorry, guys! But I brought us dinner! (Smiles proudly)

Figure 3: It’s eleven at night, hyung…!

Figure 4: And?

Figure 1 to 3 just roll their eyes, shake their heads, or sigh.

Figure 2: Anyway, do we have everything?

There are positive responses from everyone and figure 1 who’s standing nearest to the door opens it and they all walk in. They look around the dorm searching for a certain person but without success. Now, the only place left is his bedroom.

Figure 1: He wouldn’t have gone out or to bed already, would he?

Figure 3: Oh, come on. This is our lovely maknae we’re talking about! Where would he have gone this late? And if he’s already asleep we’ll just wake him up again…! (Said with a mischievous grin on his face)

Figure 4: You’re evil.

Figure 3: Thanks!

They have now all arrived at the door to their maknae’s bedroom and one of them is putting his hand on the door handle to open the door, when suddenly, laughter can be heard from the other side of the door. The four figures blink surprised and look at each other.

They decide to wait until their maknae has stopped laughing. But when even after five minutes he is still laughing and now actually sounding a little mental, they can’t resist their curiosity anymore. They silently open the door and peek through to find their maknae rolling around on his bed laughing like crazy and while holding his cell phone to his ear with one hand and clutching his stomach with his other.

(Entry: Taemin)

After staring at the sight with wide eyes for some seconds they all retract their heads and look at each other again.

Jonghyun: Did he open a bottle and started celebrating by himself, or something…?

There is a short silence filled with Taemin’s laughter. (A/N: Ok, I know that’s a contradiction but I think you know what I mean… ^^’)

Then, Minho’s face lights up.

Minho: No… Didn’t you notice? He’s on the phone…

Jonghyun: You mean…? Heh, that rascal…! And here we were thinking that he’d be waiting for us dejectedly while thinking that we’d forgotten his birthday…! (Grins)

Onew: So, were not going to celebrate anymore…?

Key: Whaaat?! No! Of course we’re still celebrating! Right? (Looks around for approval)

Minho (while grinning): Of course!

Jonghyun (also grinning): Naturally! By the way, the cell phone is mine…! Kekeke

Key: Okay! Then, 1… 2… 3… GO!

In the matter of seconds they push open the door, storm in, capture the surprised maknae, blindfold him, and drag him out to the living room. As declared, Jonghyun snatches Taemin’s cell phone from his hand and puts it to his mouth.

Jonghyun (in his most lovely voice; in English): I’m terribly sorry, my dear, but your lover has been abducted because he owes his hyungs a birthday party. I hope you will forgive us! So… sweet dreams, my love!

And he hangs up. (Jonghyun didn’t mean for it to sound… well, like a pick-up line… He was actually just being nice. Please blame his, um, limited English vocabulary… ^^’)

But now, there is this one girl somewhere in Europe who’s seriously questioning her sanity… Or is it normal to imagine hearing your idols voice over the phone after you’ve just talked with a friend…?!!

 

Scene 3: Seoul, SM Sumer Special talk show around 8 pm in South Korea and about 12 am in Europe

On the set: SHINee, other SM artists, staff, audience (fans)

It’s been about two weeks since Taemin’s birthday. Aaron has of course graciously forgiven him for ‘being abducted so abruptly’. Especially after Taemin had told her about the slightly embarrassing yet insanely funny birthday party his hyungs had thrown for him.

They continued on using the phone instead of chatting. In fact, now, they only use Skype when one of the two is in an environment where he or she can’t talk aloud. (Like a lecture or a radio show)

Or a talk show. Taemin is sitting on his assigned chair waiting for the short break to end and the show to continue, when his cell phone vibrates, indicating that he has a new message.

(Entry: Aaron on Skype as TaeminsWings)

Aaron: Hey NamTei, um I know right now you said you'd be terribly busy this evening... which is right now... but there is just this one thing I'd really like to hear your opinion on...?

A little worried, Taemin writes back.

Taemin: No, it's actually alright right now; we're on a break... :)

Aaron: Oh, I'm so sorry!! >< I didn't want to take up your break time! Then I'll just ask later! Bye!

Taemin: NO! Really! It's fine! Wait a second! I’ll call you!

He stands up from his chair and walks out of the set.

Onew: Hey Taemin, where are you going? The show is going to continue soon…!

Taemin (shouting over his shoulder): Ara…!

He then walks to some secluded corner and dials Aaron’s number.

Aaron: Hey…

Taemin (gently): Hey… So…? What is it?

Short pause.

Aaron (not knowing how to begin): Well... um... you see, this thing happened and... and I don't know to deal with it...

Taemin (softly encouraging her): Hmmm...?

Aaron: I... (Breathes in) Alright. This is what happened: Yesterday afternoon I met up with donutinlove and Kevin...

--- Aaron Flashback

They have agreed to meet around two o'clock in the afternoon for a reason that Aaron doesn't know. She has continuously tried to get it out of her two friends but they stubbornly insisted that it is a surprise and thus can't be told.

That's why Aaron is now trying to push her way through the buzzing town. She is a little late because she couldn't stop watching 'To the Beautiful You'...

Finally, she manages to reach the fountain in the middle of the square where they had agreed to meet and she looks around searching the familiar faces. But as this fountain is a commonly known meeting point and the square one of the busiest of the whole town... Well, she doesn’t see her friends until Kevin puts his hands on her shoulders and pulls her around.

Kevin (smiling): Seriously! Where do you have your eyes? I’ve been waving to you from right over there (points to the exact other end of the fountain) for the whole time!

Aaron (also smiling): Hello to you too…?

Kevin: Haha, hi!

Aaron (looking around): Where is Carole? I don’t see her…

Kevin (a little evasively): Oh that… um… she suddenly cancelled… Don’t know why either…? (Shrugs his shoulders)

Aaron (a little sad): Oh, okay…

Kevin: So, umm… Where do you want to go?

Aaron: Huh? I thought it was a surprise?

Kevin (mumbling kindly): Man, her and her stupid accurate memory…! (Starts walking off)

Aaron: I heard that! By the way, where are we going?

Kevin: And her hearing! (Keeps walking)

Aaron: Yah!

Kevin stops and turns around again.

Kevin: Aren’t you coming?

Aaron rolls her eyes but follows.

--- End of Flashback ---

Taemin (mumbling to himself): So, it’s something about that Kevin guy? And they met up alone? Why do I have a bad feeling about this…?

Aaron: NamTei? Did you say something?

Taemin: Ah no! Please continue!

Aaron: Okay… Well, after that he took me to various places. Like, for example, the flower market – gosh, it was sooo beautiful! (Taemin involuntarily rolls his eyes) Or the café he used to part-time at. He prepared me a drink… Hehe, he actually looked kinda handsome then… (Taemin hisses) NamTei?

Taemin (darkly): …nothing…!

Aaron (a little confused by NamTei’s strange mood): …anyway, after he’d treated me to dinner at this lovely and homely restaurant – if we’ll ever meet, I’ll have to show it to you; it was really delicious!

Taemin (mumbling to himself; this time so that Aaron won’t hear): Thanks but no thanks! I think I can do without that guy’s recommendations…!

Aaron (continuing): So, after dinner… he told me that this whole afternoon had just been preparation and that… the actual surprise was what was coming now… and that Car-I mean donutinlove was actually preparing it right now…

Suddenly Taemin feels like he doesn’t want to hear any more. But at the same time he knows that he will have to hear it sometime.

Aaron: I don’t know why I didn’t see it coming back then… I mean the way he was avoiding my eyes and blushing slightly… It was so obvious! (Now, Taemin is one hundred per cent sure that he does not want to hear the rest.) Well, he then brought me to a little park I never knew existed in our city…

Staff: Everybody back on their posts! We’re on air in five minutes!

Taemin doesn’t know whether to feel angry or relieved.

Taemin: Um, Wings… I’m sorry, but my break is over… I’ll call you back as during our next break, okay?

Aaron: Oh, of course! And sorry again! Then, till then!

Taemin: Yes… Till then…

 

------------------------

Heyyyy, my dear readers!!!

Thank you guys so much for being patient with me and all your good wishes!!! I'm so touched!! X')) (Although I imposed an AFF ban on myself I until the test, I couldn't help but sneak a peek on several occasions and read your encouraging comments and replies...! ^^ Ahh, really, I love you guys so much!! XDD)

Well anyway, now, I'm back!