26th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

(A/N: Btw, this chapter corresponds with SHINee's One Fine Day Ep. 9 (Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7WN_sHlV3M; at 17:52 and 32:53) Watching this might help with imagining the places where things happen... ^.^)

 

-----------------------------

 

Scene 1: The next day, on a sunny morning, on top of the Jungfrau Joch (a mountain peak that can be reached by railway), 3571 meters above sea level and surrounded by firn.

(A/N: This time my description matches with reality; the Jungfrau Joch is really covered with snow all year round. ^^)

On the set: Aaron, Taemin, production team, other tourists

After being woken up by a call from Taemin at the crack of dawn and being ordered to take the train to Interlaken even before the sun had risen. After changing trains there and eating a croissant for breakfast at an interstation. After changing to another smaller train again and watching it fight its way across snow-covered alpine pastures and steep cliffs. After admiring the amazing view over the snow-covered mountains as the train stops for a short moment behind the windows knocked out of the solid rock of the vertical face wall, behind which the train makes his way to the top inside the mountain. After all that, Aaron, Taemin, and the production team finally arrive at the top of the Jungfrau Joch.

Tired from travelling and feeling the height and his rib, Taemin sits down at one of the tables near the big windows while the production team goes to take some supplementary shoots of the scenery. Aaron, who has followed him like a shadow, sits down at the table right behind him but with her back facing his.

Aaron (in a low voice): Are you tired?

Taemin (speaking quietly as well): A little.

Aaron: Me too. It’s normal. Because the body has to adjust to the thin air that comes with such altitude. There’s less oxygen in the air so even small exertions can make you pant…

Taemin: Sounds logical…

Aaron: How is your rib?

Taemin: Well, I can feel it a little… But it’s not hurting or anything!

Aaron just bites her lip and frowns unhappily.

Taemin: Are you still angry? But I can’t just stay at home and do nothing, you know.

Aaron: (Breathes out) I know… But I still don’t like it! You’re injured, for heaven’s sake! And injured people should stay in bed and rest! Even if they are idols and their company has paid a lot of money for this trip!

Taemin (gently): Thank you for worrying about me.

Aaron: (Sighs) Fine. Here. At least you should drink enough. (Hands him a bottle of water she had bought earlier without turning around) It helps with the height…

Taemin: Thanks. (Opens the bottle and starts drinking)

Aaron: I once came here with my dad and he got a horrible headache because he didn’t drink enough water…

Taemin: You came here before?

Aaron: Yes.

Taemin: So you actually know your way around here? You could be our guide!

Aaron (smiling): Well, it’s already been a while and we didn’t visit everything… But at least I can read the signs; I guess that’s an advantage…

Taemin: Hahaha, yes, that’s definitely an advantage! It’s all just gibberish to me… (Pouts)

Aaron: Are you pouting?

Taemin (surprised): How did you know?

Aaron (a little embarrassed): I can hear it in your voice…

Taemin: Really? Wow, you’re quite attentive…!

Just then a part of the production team comes back and Aaron hurriedly hides her face by turning towards the window and pretends to be very busy with her cell phone.

Upon arriving, Kihyun throws her a curious glance but because they just came back to get Taemin he doesn’t have the time to confirm his suspicion.

Out of the corner of her eyes, Aaron watches Taemin get up and walk towards the observatory deck.

Aaron: No, I’m not attentive at all. I usually miss things like the nuances in someone’s voice or the details in people’s facial expressions… It’s just with you that I am paying so much attention. Because you’re special. Because I like you.

No, Aaron hasn’t forgotten her little freak-out from the evening before. And neither has she forgotten the conclusion she had drawn from it. But despite that, she still couldn’t refuse, when Taemin had invited her this morning to accompany him today too. She can’t bring herself to run away because then she might never get to see him again. So, she decided to savour every minute that she could spend with him. And since Taemin hadn’t mentioned anything up to now regarding her confession, maybe he doesn’t remember and Aaron is being worried all for nothing.

She takes a deep breath and follows Taemin out on the observatory deck.

Only to receive the shock of her lifetime.

She is just in time to see Taemin jump onto the fence. A fence that is supposed to protect people from falling down onto the glacier a few hundred meters below!

But luckily, the production team feels equally scared by his behaviour and immediately makes him come down. Leaning back against the house wall, Aaron exhales relieved. She puts her hand on her chest, trying to make her now racing heart calm down.

When she looks up again, she meets with Taemin’s worried eyes. She pouts and glowers back at him.

Aaron (mouthing): Are you crazy?! I almost died of a heart attack!!

Taemin just looks to the side sheepishly.

 

Scene 2: Still on the observatory deck

On the set: Aaron, Taemin, production team, other tourists

Because Taemin had said whistfully that they should have shot the MV for their new single Dream Girl here on top of the Jungfrau, they really decide to “shoot” a Jungfrau version. Meaning, Taemin does some cute and handsome poses and dances a little in front of the beautiful panorama.

And while he does so he keeps glancing at Aaron. She is still standing by the house wall but her eyes are following his every movement. There is the most beautiful smile playing on her lips and the way she is looking at him lets his heart thump wildly in his chest.

After finishing the “shooting” the crew members are leaving one by one until there is only Aaron and Taemin left. He is still standing next to the fence; his back facing the breath-taking scenery while his eyes are searching Aaron’s. He is wearing that same gentle expression on his face and even from the distance Aaron can feel that there is something different about his gaze. It’s a gaze that makes her blush self-consciously.

All of a sudden, Taemin whirls around, puts his hands on top of the fence, and pushes himself up. The metallic grid clanks when Taemin’s feet hit it and the wind tousles his hair. He takes a deep breath and…

Taemin (shouting across the vast glacier and what seems across the whole world): MY WINGS, I LOVE YOU!

He then jumps down and slowly turns around again. When he lifts his eyes to look at Aaron, there is a shy but expectant smile on his lips.

But Aaron just stares at him, her eyes wide and slightly agape. Her arms are hanging limply at her side and the cell phone she had been holding on just now is lying at her feet.

Aaron: 

……..

R… Rewind…!

What did he just say…?

My Wings… I love you…?

My Wings… Me…?

… I love you…?

Loves me…?

He loves me?

N… No way…

(In a shaky voice)

W… what did you say?

Taemin (with his smile widening): I said I love you.

Aaron: D-Don’t joke with me.

Taemin (while walking towards her): I’m not.

Aaron: But…

Taemin halts in front of Aaron, forcing her to tilt her head upwards to look at him.

Taemin (while looking down at her lovingly): I think it was love at first sight. That day when I read your fanfic that portrayed me in a way that made me think you know me better than I do myself. And again on that day I got your picture and thought that you were the most beautiful girl I had ever met.

(Gently cups her face with both of his hands)

Then that day I saw you for the first time in front of your university and realised that the you that I had gotten to know on the internet really existed. And then the night when I learned that the girl I like actually likes me back. Do you know, that that night you made me the happiest man on earth?

Looking into Taemin’s sparkling eyes and feeling his warm hands encircle her face, Aaron has trouble processing the meaning of the words she has just heard.

Aaron: It’s the height… It must be the height…! I’m even hallucinating about Taemin confessing to me…!

(Dazed)

I… I should d-drink some w-water…!

She tries to free herself from Taemin but he just grabs her shoulders and makes her face him again.

Taemin (chuckling): Don’t try to blame it on the height. Your brain is working perfectly fine.

Aaron (giving him a doubtful look): You sure? You know, it’s imagining you telling me that you love me…

But instead of giving her an answer, Taemin just smiles at her.

Aaron: You know, I always thought that you wanting to see me fangirl and everything was a little strange. But don’t you think that this is going a little too far right now?! I mean I just imagined about you confessing to me!!

But Taemin is still keeping his mouth shut and Aaron feels like her heart is about to explode because of all the emotions she is feeling.

Aaron: Does he really not care at all?! So, that means, he is like that with other girls too?! He’ll let them imagine him confessing to them without saying anything against it, making them think that it was actually true?!

(Speaking faster and faster)

I know that you are a public figure and all; that your fans are what make you successful or not! But this is about your private life, you know?! Or are you saying that even your heart belongs to the fans?! (Tears welling up in her eyes) Do you want to be famous so much? Then what about the people who genuinely care for you? What about—

But Aaron doesn’t get to finish her sentence. Because at that very moment Taemin bends down and effectually shuts her up by sealing her lips with his.

It is not a deep kiss. It’s just a simple touch of their lips. But it conveys everything.

When Taemin pulls out again, he is still looking at her affectionately.

Taemin: My heart doesn’t belong to my fans. Because how can I give away something that wasn’t mine to begin with? (Aaron frowns confused and Taemin’s smile broadens) My heart has been with you from the day I was born and only now I have finally found it.

Hearing that, Aaron’s tears that had been stopped temporarily are now falling freely again.

Taemin (shocked and flustered): Hey, why are you crying? Did I say something wrong? Are you hurt?

Aaron (while shaking her head, hiccupping): N-No… I don’t know… I don’t know why I’m crying either…!

Taemin (after biting his lip): Then… are you happy?

Aaron while crying and laughing at the same time: Is that even a question? My heart is about to burst from happiness and I feel like I could fly!

Now, Taemin’s smile is stretching across his whole face.

Taemin (with a playful expression on his face): No-no, we can’t have that. My Wings taking off without me is out of the question!

And he quickly wraps his arms around her and hugs her tightly.

Taemin (mumbling into her hair): I will never let you go.

 

-------------------------

It's a confession!!!!! Kyaaaa!!

(Btw, comments are still very much appreciated! :D)