Chapter 12

Can't you understand my heart?

Suyeon's POV

The next few days seemed to be completely depressing. Hyomin didn't join us for lunchtimes anymore. Instead, she spent her time with Woohyun and his friends.  As much as I liked Woohyun, I still wanted to have some time with my friend. I hadn't admitted it to myself as much but I knew I was incredibly lonely. I couldn't even tell her about the sweet words Doojoon said to me. Fear that she would ignore my words stopped me (not that I even had the chance  to talk to her). I missed my best friend more than anything. I just want to spend time with you the way I used to. No, not even that. I know that  I won't be with you as much but I do wish you would still leave a little room for your old friends. . . or do we not matter anymore.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The bell rang for lunch and Sunggyu and I went to sit at our normal table in the cafeteria. We didn't expect for Hyomin to come and join us but this time she did. She talked to us normally and for the first time in a long time I was so happy. Just her coming to spend time with us filled me with security that I hadn't lost my best friend. I guess she didn't forget about me afterall hehe. 
Surprisingly, Hyomin joined us for lunch everyday after that. She would talk about Woohyun with a huge smile on her face and it made me happy. I guess all I needed was to spend time with her a little more. I didn't hate her relationship, I just didn't want to be forgotten.

"Hey Hyomin, I'm so glad you came to see us without Woohyun. It's been a while since we just talked just the three of us. I'm happy." I said smiling at her. 

Hyomin replied, "yeah, I didn't have the choice of being with Woohyun this time. His class has gone on a trip for a few days so I can't be with him that's why I came here. When he comes back I will be back by his side. I can't wait. Hehe."

Her reply made me feel extremely sad. If she hadn't said anything I would have been fine. If she had just lied I wouldn't have cried. However, uncontrollably the tears fell. Immediately, I stood up from the safeteria table and ran off. How could she do that? How can she leave me for so long and then come back because Woohyun is not here.  How can she see me as nothing more than someone who is just a fill-in for Woohyun. Does ten years mean nothing to her!?  I ran until I was outside on the other side of the school. I stopped and leaned on a tall tree to to catch my breath. I crouched down and folded into a ball and cried. I cried so hard to the point where I could feel my eyes burning with the intensity of my tears. As much as I didn't want to cry, the tears overflowed like a river. 

I don't know how long I cried for but in the midst of my tears, I could feel someone crouch beside me and hold my shoulder. At first I thought it was Doojoon. He always had a knack for finding me when I was a hot mess like I was then. I lifted my head only to be slightly disappointed, it was only Sunggyu. He smiled gently at me and I couldn't help but smile back. He helped me stand up and embraced me in a hug and comforted me. This only made me cry more.

"It's okay, let it out. I'm right here and I won't leave you alone. I'm always by your side." His sweet words made the horrid thoughts I had surpressed for so long come out and I cried.

"I'm so sad and angry at Hyomin. She didn't even tell me anything about liking Woohyun. Did she not trust me enough? Was I too engrossed in myself to even notice!? Maybe that's why she doesn't want to be around me anymore! I just . . . I just want her to not forget about me, that's all. . . " I poured out all of my feelings as Sunggyu gently held me. 

Doojoon's POV

I had decided to go back to just hanging out with Hyunseung since Hyomin seemed to be spending more time with Suyeon. 'I wish that girl would stop and think about herself a little bit more' I would often think. Lately, all I kept thinking about was Suyeon. I just wanted her to be happy again and smile. Nothing made me happier than when Suyeon was smiling. I figured it was only natural I would feel this way since we are childhood friends. 

At lunchtime, I was walking around the school  with Hyunseung talking about how I was thinking of joining the soccer club. I love soccer. It's such a unifying game and there's an unexplainable feeling I obtain when I'm on the field and kicking that ball. While talking to Hyunseung, I spotted Suyeon. Her body was conformed into a human ball and I could tell she was crying. Immediately my heart began to beat faster and I wanted nothing more than to be by her side. At that moment, I wanted to be the one to comfort her and tell her whatever is wrong will be okay. Unfortunately for me, Sunggyu arrived to her side before I could. He embraced her gently while she cried. I just stood there staring. What else could I do? 
At that moment I realized that Sunggyu isn't all bad and he can take care of her. I should have felt happy about this but I could feel a bitter feeling developing inside me. The feeling increased to the point I couldn't look anymore so I turned around and walked away.