Chapter 10

Can't you understand my heart?

Suyeon's POV

After the assignments were completely finished, life pretty much died right down.  Amazingly, we all recieved A's in our assignments (except for Sunggyu and I who received A+). There was nothing that required my time anymore and things generally went back to normal. Thanks to the assignment, I had become closer to Sunggyu than I was before. He regularly came and spent time with Hyomin and I. I didn't mind and it was good since he knew about my feelings towards Doojoon, it meant I could still gush on about the events of that weekend. Don't push yourself so hard to the point that even I, your longest friend, can't even get the chance to see your smiling face. No matter how many times I replayed that scene in my head, I still felt the same amount of joy as I did back then. I would have hoped that more situations like that happened. . .. but nothing. Things just went back to normal.  I guess I can't be too greedy.

A few weeks later, Hyomin's birthday was approaching. Because I had no clue what to give her, Sunggyu and I decided to join heads and go shopping together for a gift for her. The weekend before her birthday, Sunggyu accompanied me to the mall. I swear when it came to gifts, the mall was like a maze. The more I searched, the more I became lost. Everything seemed to suit Hyomin's taste but at the same time, it wouldn't feel right. After hours of searching, I decided on some shoes Hyomin said she'd always wanted and Sunggyu bought her a cute bear-eared beanie.  After all that Sunggyu and I decided to buy some lunch at the food court. 
"I hope she'll like our gifts." I said still worried about my decision.

"She definitely will. You put your heart into finding the right gift afterall." Sunggyu assured me. 

"Yeah, Hyomin is such a precious friend to me. I just really want to spoil her on her birthday. Make her feel special, you know" 

"Haha, you're a very nice friend. How do you usually spend her birthday."

"Every year, Doojoon, Hyunseung and I plan a picnic and eat it wherever Hyomin wants. After the food, the singing and the presents, Hyomin and I go out and do some random activity of her choice. Last year it was  just the movies. It's been this way every year for the past 10 years. You can join us this year too. While I am at it, I better text Hyomin and ask her where she wants to eat her picnic and what she wants to do." Sunggyu smiled gently at me and nodded his head. I went ahead and started texting Hyomin

"Hyominnie~ Ur 18th is in a few days!!  Whr and wat do u wnt 2 do 4 ur bday this year??? ^_^" Almost immediately I recieved a reply

"Srry, Suyeon. I hve plans on my bday this yr. We cn celebrate it together another tme >__I read Hyomin's reply a little surprised. I was a little disappointed that I wouldn't be able to celebrate it with Hyomin as I normally would.  I lie, I was really disappointed. So much so, I said goodbye to Sunggyu, left Hyomin's gift at home and immediately ran to her house. What's so important that she would break a 10 year tradition??


When I arrived at Hyomin's house her mom greeted me and told me Hyomin was in her bedroom. When Hyomin saw me she had a huge smile on her face and I couldn't help but smile back, despite my disappointment.  She quickly sat me down and with much excitement she announced her important news.

"I have a boyfriend!!" She grinned ear to ear and I smiled back. I was so shocked at her news. I didn't even know she liked anyone.

"I'm not sure if you know him. It's Woohyun from the class right next to ours. Actually I've liked him for a few months now and we occasionally talk but recently we've been talking much more and getting to know each other better. To cut a long story short, he asked me out and I said yes in a heartbeat. He said he wanted me to spend my birthday with him, so that's why I can't do the usual. I'm so happy I just can't !!!!" Hyomin said and she hugged me. I was so shocked beyond belief. I was very happy for Hyomin but I didn't realize at that time what that would mean for our friendship.