Chapter 5

Seeing You Again (And We Meet Again Spinoff!)

 

“Look, Mr. Soto, this isn’t exactly a good time for me,” I say irritably, holding my phone to my ear with one hand and eating cake with another.

“Call me Jason.” he replies smoothly. I roll my eyes.

"What is this call about?” I ask tersely. 

“Well, I just found this bakery. It’s the perfect place to go to with someone.”    

“No.” I reply crabbily.

“Fine,” he says.

I hang up.

Great. Now that Eli’s left, there’s no point in me staying here. I start to feel really angry at Eli. Seriously? Some guy just called me. Why's he getting all mad at me? Does he have jealously issues or something? I huff.

I look over to Tanya and Kevin’s booth and nearly vomit. They look like they’re eating each other’s faces out. What is this, the 10th grade? They could have some decency to save that for private places.

Although I wouldn’t mind doing that with Eli, no matter where we were.

Unfortunately, the chance of that happening is about as likely as Tanya and Kevin breaking up. Which is 0.

What's wrong with me? I said I was mad at him just 5 seconds ago!

I give up on my feelings. 

Well, I might as well go home. I grab my purse and head to the door…

Only to bump into Jason Soto himself.

My eyes nearly pop out of my head. Out of all the bakeries he decides to go to, he comes to this one? How is this even-

“Well, well, well,” he drawls, giving me an admittadly cute half-smile. “What a coincidence. Is this fate?”

I roll my eyes.  I'm smiling at his cheesiness despite myself. “You have horrible pickup lines,” I tell him.

“I am the KING of pickup lines.” Jason stares haughtily at me. “Obey me, peasant.”

“Pfft.” I snigger. “You're spectacular.”

“So, can I buy you a coffee or not?” he asks.

I sigh. “Make it a cappuccino."

A few minutes later, we’re chatting over our drinks. Jason’s describing a particularly snobby reality show host.

“And she said, ‘If it’s not Gucci I don’t do it.’” Jason slams his hand down on the table. “Do you know how much her Gucci handbags took out of our budget?”

“Hey, there’s this word. It’s called ‘no’. Go use it a few times.” I tell him. He rolls his eyes.

Suddenly I hear a cell phone go off. “That’s mine,” Jason says and picks up his iPhone. After a few minutes of listening intently to the person on the other side, he quickly gets up. “I have an emergency at work,” he informs me. “Do you want to meet up another time?”

“Sure!” I reply. I actually enjoy Jason's company. He's funny and a little self-depreciating and nice. He's really good friend material.

After he leaves, I feel a hand clamp on my shoulder. “Is that your new boyfriend?” Kevin whispers in my ear.

“What about Eli?” Tanya whispers in the other ear.

I shriek and nearly spill my coffee. “You guys scared me! And you were watching us the whole time? I thought you were too busy wrapped up in each other to care about anything else." Tanya and Kevin exchange glances and sigh.

“That's not true.” Tanya clears . “Hey, come over tonight. We rented ‘The Life of Pi’. I heard it’s good.”

“Will… he be there?” I ask tentatively.

“What if I said yes?” Tanya replies.

“He’s seriously pissed at me. And I'm mad at him too.”

“Chelsea. Do you know what movies are for? Clinging on to your boyfriend. This is the perfect time for you two to make up and to get all cozy with each other.” Tanya tells me.

After a few minutes of contemplation, I nod my head. “Fine, I’ll be there.” I say.

 I’ve decided. I’m going to make my move on Eli tonight. I’ll... uhh... kiss him. Yeah, I'll kiss him. And then confess my feelings.

I hope this works out the way I plan it too. Most things usually don't.