Chapter 3

Seeing You Again (And We Meet Again Spinoff!)

 

I wake up to my cell phone blaring in my ear. I groggily pick up my phone and mumble, “Hello?”

“Is this Chelsea Kingsley?” a voice asks. “This is Jason Soto. We met last night at the party.”

I quickly sit up. “Yeah, hi!” I say.

“I spoke to the other executives of my company last night, and they all agreed with me; we would like to offer you a contract to air your show on our network.” Jason informs me.

“That’s great!” I reply enthusiastically.

“If you’re interested, drop by our studios at 2. We can talk over the details then.” he says.

“Got it,” I say, and hang up.

A few hours later, I grab a taxi and head over to HMTZ Studios, along with Tanya.

“So how’d it go last night with Eli?” she asks me in the taxi.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I mutter.

“What?!” Tanya shrieks. “Did you guys fight or something?”

“Yeah. It was over an executive at HMTZ.” I sigh.

“Wait… did you two get into legal trouble?” Tanya gasps.

“No! It’s nothing like that…” I abruptly change the topic. “So how was your date with Kevin yesterday?”

Sometimes I seriously consider having my best friend be my lawyer. It leads to awkward discussions about relationships while driving to serious business meetings.

When we arrive at HMTZ, we’re greeted by Jason, who leads us to a pristine white office, decorated with posters of popular TV shows.

 “We’ve created this contract,” Jason informs me, handing me a packet of papers. I give them over to Tanya, who reads over it. Her eyes are getting wider and wider by the page.

“How is it?” I ask her under my breath.

“These are… really, really good terms,” Tanya replies. “Mr. Soto, are you sure there aren’t any hidden catches here?”

Jason smirks. “We’re determined to sign on Chelsea, so we gave her a few extra perks.”

“This is a multi-million dollar deal, Chels,” Tanya whispers to me.

No. No way.

Out of shock, I choke on my own spit and start having a coughing fit. Tanya urgently pounds my back. “Um, give us a few days to think over this.” she hurriedly tells Jason.

“No problem,” Jason smiles. “But would it be okay if you grabbed some coffee with me some time, Chelsea?”

“Sure,” I say. My mind’s still numb from the contract. Multimillion dollars? Am I dreaming?

It doesn’t hit me that Jason’s asked me out on a date until we leave his office and Tanya shrieks, “WAIT, THAT JASON GUY LIKES YOU?"