Chapter 4

Seeing You Again (And We Meet Again Spinoff!)

 

“Jealous? No!” I exclaim. “Eli doesn’t even like me like that."

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” Tanya rolls her eyes. “But what happened last night at the party? Spill.”

I explain the events of the party, and when I finish, Tanya’s chuckling. “He’s jealous, Chels. Totally jealous.”

“Well, now he’s mad at me!” I sigh. “What am I supposed to do?”

“Just leave it to me and Kevin. We can set you two up.” Tanya suggests.

“The last time you tried to set us up we had to call the fire department,” I remind her.

“Just because we put you two in a room with a warm, toasty fire and champagne doesn’t mean it’s my fault you two almost died.”

“Eli accidentally knocked the wine in the fireplace, and we couldn't escape from the fire because you and Kevin locked us in."

“Well, at least the fire trucks came in time,” Tanya says, shrugging. “Anyway, Kevin and I are going to go to Plate and Pastry today. Want to make it a double date?”

“Sure!” I say, perking up. I’ll be able to make up with Eli. And I can bond with him over Plate and Pastry's wonderful baklava. 

By the time Tanya and I arrive at Plate and Pastry, Eli and Kevin are already seated at a booth. I can hear their conversation from here.

“So who’s the hot chick coming with Tanya?” Eli asks Kevin.

"She’s right there,” Kevin says, spotting Tanya and I heading over to them.

Eli whirls around, an eager, excited expression on his face. When he sees me, however, his happy face disappears and is replaced by a cold glare.

“You two obviously have some things to work out,” Kevin says, grabbing Tanya's hand. “We’ll just be over there.” They move to another booth, where they cuddling with each other.

Gag. 

“Look, Eli, I’m sorry for last night,” I murmur. Oh yes, Chelsea, lay on the cuteness and innocence thick. “Thank you for trying to protect me. It’s just that he was being nice, so I didn’t want to offend him.” I bat my eyelashes a few times to add onto the effect.

Eli rolls his eyes. “Fine. And I won’t overreact again.” I giggle and clap my hands. “And, Chelsea?” he continues.

“Hm?”

“You’re kind of failing at being cute and innocent.”

I huff. How did he know what I was trying to do? "I am not failing." I inform him. "I’m a very cute and innocent person!”

Eli scoffs. “Yeah, right. You’re about as cute and innocent as a toad.”

“What? Did you just call me a toad?” I shriek.

Eli shrugs. “Toads are loud and obnoxious, like you.”

I slap him with a napkin. “You , you know that?”

He grabs my hand. “Do not,” he laughs. I grin. I'm so happy Eli and I are on good terms again. I sigh happily. I wish I was stuck in this moment forever, with Eli's hands enveloping mine, the crooked-half smile on his face,  his warm, friendly eyes looking into mine. 

"Chelsea," he whispers. "I have to confess something. I-,"

My cellphone rings.

I ruffle through my bag and find my phone. When I look at the caller ID, my a sinking feeling fills my stomach.

 Jason Soto.

Eli glances at my phone screen and his face darkens. 

"I'm... just going to go over there," he tells me, gesturing in the direction of Tanya and Kevin. "Have fun talking to him."

And he leaves me open-mouthed, holding my phone in one hand.