Chapter 9

For A Change

Suzy woke up with a headache. She touched her head and sat up slowly, taking in everything around her. She blinked a few times to adjust to the light seeping through the window. She checked the time on the wall, it was 10 am. Her class doesn't start until after lunch so she wasn't in a rush. She felt a stinging sensation everywhere but mostly on her arm and shoulder. Her memory was still fuzzy and she could only remember some bits that happened from last night. 

She took a look at her arm. She traced her fingers on the red, thick line wincing as she touched it. She sighed deeply and stood up. She almost fell when her legs felt week, she looked down and cursed at herself when she saw the bruises. She walked over to the mirror and checked the wound on her shoulder. The wound was shorter but deeper. She then realised that she was still wearing the same clothes that she wore yesterday. That's when she got confuse. 

How did she get in her room? She searched around her room, looking for a clue when a bright coloured sticky note caught her attention. She pulled it off and read it. 

Don't go to school today. I already called in saying you're not feeling well. I left a glass of water and some painkillers on your bedside table. Take it whenever you're in pain. Oh, remember to eat. You're losing weight these days. Some of your brothers will be back early but I won't be back until late at night. Don't worry about me. I'm fine. Worry about yourself first. Call me when there's an emergency or you need help. 

Take Care, Suzy. 

-Sunggyu

Suzy read the note about twice and felt butterflies in her stomach and her heart started to beat faster. She felt excited, nervous and sick at the same time. She didn't even know why. She looked over at the table beside her bed and eyed the glass of water and painkillers. She walked over and took some before she took a shower. 

When she was done taking a shower, she walked downstairs and decided to eat breakfast. She made some toast and poured herself a glass of milk. She was about to take a bite when she remembered that she took medicine without eating. She cursed at herself then shrugged and took a bite. She wasn't hungry but it was probably best to eat something... or maybe not. She spat the food back out, her stomach wouldn't accept it. She stormed over to the bin and chucked the piece of toast away. Instead, she drank her milk and took some more painkillers. She then headed out to go to school. 

 

 Suzy walked to school really slowly. She left early because he was bored and lonely at home. She walked pass the cafe where Dongwoo worked and peeked through the glass window. She spotted Dongwoo talking to one of his colleagues, laughing and smiling. She felt reassured as she saw him happy and safe in that little cosy cafe. She smiled a little before leaving. 

Halfway through, a wave of pain hit her. She gritted her teeth and continued walking. She still had to wait two hours before taking it. It took her about an hour and thirty minutes to get to school because of the pace she was walking. She still had an hour to wait until her class began so she went to the field where she once saw Myungsoo. 

She sat on one of the benches carefully, trying not to hurt herself. She took a book out and started reading. However, she felt something block the sunlight from reaching her. She looked up, quite surprise because she didn't expect to see him standing there. 

He smiled and handed her a cup of coffee, "Want some?" 

Suzy gave him a soft smile and received the offer, "Thanks" 

Sungjong took a sit next to her; silence filled the air around them. They just kept their focus in the font, although now and then they would try to take a peek at each other. 

Sungjong had so many questions he wanted to ask but he was too scared. He was afraid that it might bring back bad memories for her and he was afraid that she might get hurt talking about it. 

Suzy let out a chuckle, "This would probably be the first time I've seen you quiet. You would normally be arguing to Sungyeol oppa or Sunggyu oppa. Mostly though, you’re this crazy oppa who has different stories to tell me." 

Sungjong looked at her, taken aback at what she said. He really didn't know what to say so he just looked down at the cup of coffee he was holding. 

"How did you know I was here anyway?" Suzy asked, not even taking a sip of her coffee. 

Sungjong shrugged, "I didn't. I was supposed to meet a friend but he had an errand to run so I came here to enjoy some peace."

Suzy nodded, "What about the coffee?" 

"It was for him." 

Suzy smiled, "Just a friend?" 

Sungjong laughed, "Just a friend," He confirmed. "Speaking of friends, you and Myungsoo hyung..." He trailed off. 

"We're not friends," Suzy finally took a sip of the coffee (which burned her tongue a bit). "We're siblings" She smiled playfully. 

Sungjong has this expression on his face where he looked shocked but confused at the same time. That expression faded away so easily and quickly. Seriousness took over and his voice was gentle, "Are you okay?" 

Suzy nodded slowly, "I guess." She paused before asking him, "Are you?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" 

Suzy just laughed it off, trying to hide the pain that she suddenly felt. "Do you have a free period right now?" She changed the subject. 

"Yeah, I have History next though. The joy!" He said in a sarcastic way. 

"I have History next too!" Suzy sounded very excited. 

Sungjong became serious again, "I thought you weren't suppose to go out?" 

Suzy shrugged, "It's my second day. I don't want to ruin my reputation." 

Sungjong laughed, "What reputation? This school doesn't really care. Yeah, they have good teachers and their image is good but they couldn’t' care less about attendance. They always said that it would be the student's fault for not being punctual and not caring." 

"Well, at least I learned something new today already." Suzy ruffled Sungjong's hair, "You're so cute sometimes you know." 

Sungjong raised his eyebrow, "Sometimes?" 

Suzy grinned, "Yeah. Sometimes you're a man. You can be so powerful and demanding that even oppas gets scared of you sometimes." 

Sungjong laughed sarcastically, "You're not afraid of me during those times?" 

"I don't think anything can scare me now." Suzy lied a little bit. 

They both laughed awkwardly, both knowing what she meant. 

They were silent again until Suzy stood up, really slowly. "I think I might go to the toilet." She lied. "I'll see you in class." She lied again. 

The innocent Sungjong just smiled with sadness, not knowing whether he should help her or not. He might not be smart, but it was obvious that Suzy was injured and she was enduring so much pain.

He watched as Suzy's figure disappeared in the distance. "Take care!" He shouted after her, not sure whether she could hear him or not. 

Suzy quickened her pace a bit because the pain was becoming unbearable. She stopped abruptly and searched her bag for the pills desperately. She finally found it and took some, drinking the coffee with it. The pain started to fade away slowly, still torturing her though but she could cope. 

She walked out the main gates and took a bus to the hospital. 

 

Sungjong was seating, quite bored in history class. The lesson started 30 minutes ago and there were 30 minutes left. He glances occasionally around, then at the door then at the window with a worried look plastered on his face. Suzy said she'll see him in class. Like, literally, she said that. She said she was only going to the toilet. Was she kidnapped? The worst scenario popped in his mind, was she ? Oh fudge, Sungjong started to panic. But the worst of the worst scenario popped in his squishy brain, what if their son of a potato mother came and got her and beat her up and buried her while she was unconscious which leads to her dying of suffocation when she woke up? 

Gosh, Sungjong needed some water to calm him down. He needed to see Suzy in flesh to calm him down. He was just being over the top, little diva he was. He looked at the teacher, who had his back him, and sneakily took his phone out. He searched for his hyungs contacts and texted them all. He pressed all the buttons he needed quickly and pressed sent. 

 

To: Gyu hyung, Grease hyung, Choding hyung, Ice Prince hyung, Dino hyung, Hoya hyung

From: Sungjong 

Did any of you see Suzy? Are you home? Is she there? REPLY ASAP.

 

 He didn't really want to make any fuss or make them panic about her 'disappearance' but he had to ask them. At least he asked them in a calm way unlike how he was freaking inside. 

Before he knew it, he got a message. He looked down and checked the name. It was Myungsoo. 

 

To: Sungjong

From: Ice Prince hyung

What are you talking about? Of course she's at home. Didn't you remember Sunggyu hyung say that she was going to stay home because of her condition? But no, I haven't seen her. Am I missing something Sungjong?

 

 Sungjong sighed as he finished reading the message. Sometimes he really wants to know what goes on in Myungsoo's mind. 

 

 To: Ice Prince hyung

From: Sungjong

No. Just wondering. By the way, hyung, where are you? 

 

 Sungjong was bored again. He waited for the others to reply and as he was about to focus on what the teacher was saying, his phone vibrated his hand. 

 

 To: Sungjong

From: Choding hyung

Nope! I haven't. She's probably at home. Don't worry. Hey, you're in your last lesson right? Can you buy me coffee on your way home. Buy some strawberry cake for Suzy too. I heard she loves them. 

 

 Sungjong sighed again and replied to the choding who only cares about coffee.

 

 To: Choding hyung

From: Sungjong

Why do you care about coffee so much? Like, seriously choding. Aren't you a bit worried about Suzy? Didn't you see her last night? GAH. Who told you she likes strawberry cake anyway? 

 

 Sungjong pressed the send button and at the same time, he received a message. 

 

 To: Sungjong

From: Ice Prince hyung

I'm in the cafe where Dongwoo hyung is working. I'll be on my way home soon. I'll text you then that Suzy is fine. 

 

Sungjong forgot that he didn't tell them that he saw Suzy and how she lied that she was just going to the toilet. Although, she could've went then left but who the potato cares!? She skipped a lesson and he fine well knows that she wouldn't do that. Just before, when they were talking, she was so worried about missing a day of school and now she's freaking skiving!

 

 To: Ice Prince hyung

From: Sungjong

What are you doing there? Is Dongwoo hyung there? Is he working? Hyung... okay. 

 

 Before Sungjong could even hit send, he received another message... from Sungyeol this time. 

 

 To: Sungjong

From: Choding hyung

Because coffee is amazing okay. I do care! What are you saying, Lee Sungjong? I'm sure she's fine! If she isn't, wouldn't someone be panicking right now? Because Sunggyu told me some time ago and now Myungsoo told me this morning. 

 

 

Sungjong scoffed. Myungsoo told him, huh? How the fudge did he know that? Oh fudge, does Myungsoo... stalk Suzy? Wait, wait, wait... did he stalk Suzy? This wasn't really important right now, Sungjong still needed to find out if Suzy was still alive or not. 

 

 To: Choding hyung

From: Sungjong

Just shut up already about the stupid coffee. WELL IF SUZY WAS FINE THEN SHE WOULD HAVE REPLIED TO MY TEXT. GAH. YOU ARE NOT HELPING. I AM PANICKING BECAUSE I JUST SAW HER BEFORE AND SHE SAID SHE WAS JUST GOING TO THE TOILET AND I'M PRETTY SURE IT DOESN'T TAKE AN HOUR... OH WAIT, AN HOUR AND 10 MINUTES TO GO TO THE TOILET. GAH. 

 

 That was it. Sungjong lost his temper and he's now taking it out on the choding who knows nothing and whose brain is so squishy and freaking innocent. Sungjong seriously doesn't know what to do anymore. If he told Myungsoo, Myungsoo would probably go nuts and find Suzy and be the stupid lover he is. Yes, he knows that Myungsoo likes Suzy. What is even more frustrating is that Myungsoo doesn't even know his feelings. His probably think it was some kind of disease or some kind of rare feeling. But, no. It isn't. Sungjong is so stressed right now that his on the verge o crying. The only thing that stopped him from doing that is the stupid potato message he received.

 

 To: Sungjong

From: Choding hyung

OKAY, LEE SUNGJONG. CALM DOWN. WAIT. WHAT? SHE DIDN'T STAY AT HOME!? BUT... BUT... SHE'S INJURED. SHE'S HURT. SHE'S IN PAIN. WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS EARLEIR, YOU DIVA MAKNAE? But... but... Suzy... she's... she's so fragile and... WHERE IS SUNGGYU HYUNG? 

 

 Sungjong suddenly remembered Sunggyu. He still hasn't replied and for sure he would be checking his phone to see if Suzy texted him or not. On the other hand, he was still injured and he could be busy. GAH. Sungjong was only young. He was the same age for Suzy for crying out loud. He shouldn't be the one who's panicking and losing his mind right now. He ignored Sungyeol's message and replied to Myungsoo's instead (which he received just a second ago). 

 

 To: Sungjong

From: Ice Prince hyung

I'm taking a shower here while scrubbing a hair dude’s back. What you think I'm doing? No, he's in a banana boat which is in a chocolate pool and he's eating a marshmallow. Yes, he's here. I wouldn't have come here if he wasn't here. Gosh, Sungjong. What is wrong with you today? You sound so impatient and not you at all. What is going on? 

 

 Sungjong lose the will to leave. Why was everyone so mean to him today? Most of all, why was he so sensitive today? Fair enough, he's freaking sister is missing and he doesn't know what happened to her but there was no need to worry this much? However, thinking about her injury and the look on her face when left was just... too much for him not to panic. 

 

 To: Ice Prince hyung

From: Sungjong

Okay, stop with your sarcasm hyung. It's killing me. Nothing. I'm just tired. Just be careful, okay? 

 

 Sungjong groaned in defeat, quietly, rest his head on the table. He was about to close his eyes when his phone beeped. He straightened a bit and checked his phone. He praised the angels because it was someone else. He thought it was going to be Myungsoo but no, it was Sunggyu. When Sungjong read his message, he wasn't sure whether he should be happy, relieved or be nervous about it. Suzy's injury wasn't that serious, right?