Chapter 3

For A Change

 

Suzy was the first one to wake up. She made her way downstairs and started to cook breakfast for her brothers. Not long after, they all started coming down one by one. They probably smelt the food and were hungry. No one can resist the smell of food. Suzy greeted them good morning with a bright smile on her face. Rays of sunlight would seep through the windows now and then, making the kitchen look a lot happier and brighter. 

"Good morning~!" Suzy greeted Sunggyu, who was the last one to arrive. 

Sunggyu did a double take, "Suzy, are you okay?" 

"Yeah! Why?" Suzy lied and went back to cooking.

"You look pale" Sunggyu went to take a closer look. 

"I'm just tired. Don't worry oppa" Suzy reassured her older brother. Luckily, no one else noticed.

She finished cooking the last at last and served them the last bit. Everyone thanked her and started eating like pigs. Suzy nodded and sneakily went out of the kitchen to go to her room. She dragged herself upstairs, opened her bedroom door and went back to sleep. She was tired and she couldn't look at anyone right now. Her body started to ache and the only thing she could do to numb the pain was go to sleep. 

Sungyeol took another spoonful of scrambled eggs. "So! Who was the 'victim' last night?" He said with his mouth full. Everyone looked at him taken aback, like he some kind of maniac or something. "What? I was just asking. No one came to our room last night and Myungsoo, Woohyun and I were listening to music so we didn't hear anything" Sungyeol shrugged like it was nothing. 

"Come to think of it, I didn't wake up as well. Probably cos I was too tired but I didn't wake up." Sunggyu looked around. "Did any of you get hurt?" Everyone shook their heads. It was silent and everyone was exchanging glances. 

"Maybe she decided to take a break just this once?" Sungjong spoke up. Everyone raised their eyebrow and looked at him. "What? Since Suzy just arrived, maybe she decided to take one night off"

When Sunggyu heard this, he looked around for Suzy, he started to panic. "Where is Suzy?" 

"She went upstairs" Hoya answered. It only took a few minutes for them to realise why Sunggyu asked. 

"You don't think she hurt Suzy right?" Dongwoo started to get worried. Myungsoo felt angry all of a sudden, Sungyeol felt annoyed and Sungjong want to slap his mother for her to get her senses back. Sunggyu was just worried about Suzy. 

"I swear, if that woman hurt Suzy, I'll burn her alive" Woohyun said through gritted teeth. Everyone nodded in agreement. 

"I'm with you on that one" Sungjong agreed.

"I didn't hear any screams or something like that last night though." Sungyeol said after taking a sip of coffee. 

"Just in case, let's go and check on her." Sunggyu stood up and made his way out of the kitchen. The others followed him up the stairs. Every step they took, the more nervous they got. They all shared the same feeling. They felt like once they reached the top of the stairs, there' going to be a death trap and the world is going to end. Even though they just met Suzy yesterday and found out that she was going to be their new stepsister, they already felt attach to her and felt like they needed to protect her no matter what. 

They were finally in front of Suzy's room. They started whispering and fussing over who was going to knock. In the end, Sunggyu did it since he was the oldest. 

Sunggyu knocked gently on Suzy's door, "Suzy?" No response. "She could be sleeping." He whispered to the others. 

"Knock again, maybe she didn't hear." Sungjong suggested. 

Sunggyu knocked again, a little louder yet there was no reply. "Let's just take a peek." He opened the door slowly and everyone tried to take a peek instead of Myungsoo who was calmly chilling at the back watching them. 

"She's sleeping." Hoya said. 

"Shall we go in and check for bruises and cuts?" Sungyeol asked. 

"Are you stupid? If she did get bruises and cuts, I'm pretty sure she would have screamed and we would have heard it." Woohyun replied. 

"Says you. You had your headphones in so how could you hear her scream?" Sungyeol shot back. 

"Shush!" Sunggyu stopped them. "Sungyeol has a point. I think we were all tired. Let's just go in quietly." Sunggyu opened the door a little wider. "And don't touch anything." He warned his brothers. They nodded and walked into the room too. Myungsoo followed them in. 

Sunggyu was the first one to approach the sleeping Suzy. His heart hurt a little just watching her sleep peacefully. He shook his head violently to get rid of any nasty images of his mother harming Suzy. He checked her arms and other visible flesh for signs of bruises and cuts but there wasn't any. 

"Nothing" Sunggyu said to the others. "Nothing" He repeated, relieved. 

Myungsoo watched Suzy continue sleeping. She looks so peaceful. She looks so fragile. She looks beautiful. He couldn't even imagine someone wanting to hurt such an innocent person. His anger started to appear again every time he thought about his mother touching Suzy with her filthy hands. Those hands that has done bad things. Those hands that could actually kill people. Those hands that he wanted to chop off. 

"Let's go before we wake her up." Myungsoo said as he walked past the others and made his way out. The others followed him one by one, looking at Suzy sympathetically before leaving.