Chapter 10

For A Change

 

On the way to the hospital, the pain slowly died away. As it slowly left, Suzy felt better. She looked outside the window, noticing that grey clouds had invaded the sky, and thought about a lot of things on the way there. She thought about the past, today and what's going to happen. She thought about last night, Sunggyu and Myungsoo. She remembered Woohyun blocking her, protecting her from the monster. She remembered Sungjong's cries. She remembered Sungyeol, crouched in one corner.

When she arrived at the hospital, she remembered all the memories that happened right at that spot; at that place. She remembered Hyomin. The last time she visited this place, was the day that Hyomin died. 

Suzy walked slowly inside the hospital. She made her way to the main reception, where a nurse was sitting. The nursed asked her what she needed and she asked to see Sunggyu.

The nurse smiled brightly, "You must be Sunggyu's little sister." Suzy nodded. "Wait here. I'll go and get him." 

Suzy sat at the nearby chair and waited for the nurse to come back. She looked at the patients walking past, either with a relative, a friend or a staff. She watched a small boy taking a sit next to her. His mother told him to keep still and that she'll be back in no time. She continued to stare at the little boy. She noticed how he had his hands on his knees; he was swinging his legs and humming a tune. What caught her attention though, was that he was bald. 

The boy noticed her eyes on him. He turned slowly, no longer humming but a smile appeared on his face. 

"Hello," He greeted. "I'm Nam Insu. What's your name?"

Suzy found the little boy cute, she grinned at him and introduced herself. "I'm Bae Suzy."

Insu nodded, still smiling. "Are you sick?" 

Suzy was taken aback by his question, "No, I'm not. I'm here for someone."

"Who?"

"My brother."

"Is he sick?" 

Suzy shook his head, "No. No, he's not."

They looked each other without saying a word until Suzy asked him, "Are you okay?"

He looked confuse, "Sure. I wouldn't I be?"

When Suzy didn't reply and when he realised she was hesitating and taking small glances at his head, his mouth let out a small, quiet chuckle. 

"I'm not sick," He said. "It's my sister who's sick." 

"Ah, I see."

"She has cancer. Leukaemia, to be precise." Suzy nodded. "One day, I visited her and she had no hair anymore. I didn't ask why but I know that she didn't like it. I know she felt alone and different and she hated those feelings. So in order for those feelings to disappear, I shaved my head." 

Suzy smiled warmly, "You're a lovely brother."

"Thanks."

"Is she older than you?" 

"Yes, she is." His mouth formed into a line as the smile evaporated. "She's seven years old." 

"I see. And how old are you?" 

"Nine years old." He smiled again.

Suzy felt like something was wrong. She could feel the boy hiding. He was hiding behind his smile. She looked deeper into his eyes, challenging herself if she could see what he truly feels, if his eyes shows other emotions. And it did. Now that she looked deeper, his eyes were cloudy. There was no brightness in it and you could clearly tell that he wasn't happy. 

"Why are you hiding?"

Insu knew what she was talking about. "It doesn't count as hiding if you found me."

"Why were you hiding?" She rephrased her question. 

"Because I'm scared."

Suzy felt her insides shatter into pieces. She took the Insu's hand in her and squeezed it. "Everything will be fine. Not now, but eventually."

He smiled sincerely, "I know." His eyes were soft. "You should remind yourself that occasionally too."

Suzy just gave a smile back in return. Insu was one of a kind. 

It was quiet again. They both turned their attentions back to the front, away from each other. Suzy found herself smiling a little. She didn't know how or why but the little boy made her day somehow. Maybe because of his warm and kind heart or how strong he was. But she found him quite interesting. For his age, his quite mature. 

Sunggyu arrived not that long after. He arrived with Insu's mother by his side. 

"Suzy," He caught Suzy's attention. "Are you okay?" 

Suzy shook her head, "Insu kept me company." She smiled at the boy sitting next to her. 

Sunggyu looked at Insu then at Suzy then at Insu's mother. His mother smiled at Suzy and motioned Insu to come with her.

"Let's get going, Insu. Your sister is waiting." His mother said. 

Insu looked at Suzy, held her hand and squeezed it gently. "Stay strong." He let go of her hand and smiled, "Bye!" 

Suzy watched him walk away. He seemed to be in a happier mood, which he always seems to be. 

"Are you okay?" Sunggyu asked, examining Suzy. 

"I'm fine now." She reassured him. "Do you have time?" 

Sunggyu nodded, "Sure. Why?" 

Suzy smiled warmly, "Let's go for a walk." 

"What for?"

Suzy shrugged, "I don't know." She looked him in the eye. "I just missed you." 

She just warmed Sunggyu's heart. "Let's go then. Let me just go and change." 

 

It was much colder now than before. Suzy and Sunggyu had walked to the park in silence. Just each other's presence was enough. Suzy felt at ease whenever Sunggyu was with or near her. She felt safe, she felt protected but she felt guilty at the same time. The reason why she felt guilty was because she couldn't protect him. She knew she couldn't make him feel safe the way Sunggyu made her. And this guilt, was eating her alive. 

Sunggyu thought Suzy's presence was warm. It calmed him down and it made him forget about his work. He felt like he was getting closer to Suzy each step he takes. He felt didn't feel alone. His thoughts soon wondered to their other sister. Although she wasn’t with them, it didn't feel weird at all. Hyomin's personality was completely different from Suzy's. She was loud, hyperactive and honest - way too honest. Suzy's more calm and quiet. She has that warm aura that can melt the winter away from your heart. 

As siblings, they all had a few things in common. All three were secretive, protective and kind-hearted. They were more like a package deal. Each one has their own charms. Only, one has already been taken away sooner than they had expected. 

Sunggyu sighed deeply, "It would have felt even warmer if Hyomin was here." 

Suzy looked at him at the sudden mention of their sister's name. Not once has he mentioned Hyomin since they met again until now. 

"Too bad she can't be." He continued. 

Suzy stopped walking completely. Did he know? She thought. 

Sunggyu stopped when he realised Suzy wasn't walking anymore. He turned around only to meet with Suzy's confuse yet saddened eyes. He walked over to her and gave her a big, warm hug. He closed his eyes as he pulled Suzy closer to him, until she could hear his heartbeat. 

Suzy was surprised at first and she could feel the tears reaching her eyes but she couldn't cry, not now. She shut her eyes tightly and forced her tears back down, repeating stay strong over and over again. She decided to stay strong for him since it's the only thing she can do. But this was too much. It was the first time that someone else hugged her other than her sister. Sunggyu might have hugged her when she was younger but she couldn't remember. She blamed her mother for that. 

His hugged felt different. Come to think of it, all hugs are different. Sunggyu's hug has that warm feeling to it but there was that protective grip. His hug was the type that would be able to calm and sooth someone. His hug was like falling asleep. It calms you down. 

He let her go and that made Suzy yearn for more. He looked her in the eyes and said, "Everything will be fine." He paused as Suzy's gaze turned into pools. "Not now, but eventually." 

Suzy found it amusing how she said the exact same thing to the little boy. "Eventually." She said. 

They continued to walk, both of their hands inside their coat's pockets. 

"I know about Hyomin." He said suddenly. "I know what happened."

"You know." 

"They brought her to the same hospital I worked in. The same hospital I work in now." He explained. "I wasn't her doctor so I didn't see her. Then again, I'm a paediatrician so I wouldn't have been her doctor in any case." 

"So how did you find out?"

"The doctor in charge of her told me. He knew that she was my sister. "

Suzy hummed. "He was a nice doctor."

"Yes, he is." 

"He was Hyomin unnie's boyfriend."

"I know."

"He's dead now too."

Sunggyu couldn't help but smile. Not because of what Suzy said but because he already knew the things she told me. 

"Do you know why he died?" 

"He saved a little boy's life by getting stabbed to death."

Sunggyu nodded, "He gave up his life for that one little boy."

"As I said, he was a nice doctor."

"Do you want to know who that little boy is?"

Suzy nodded and hummed, "Sure."

"Nam Insu."

"What a small world." Suzy felt a small smile creeping on her lips. "He saved a wonderful soul from going." 

"Wanna know something about Insu?" 

Suzy looked at him, "Okay." 

"Insu is Woohyun's younger brother." 

Suzy smiled, "What a small world." She repeated. 

"A small world, indeed." Sunggyu returned the smile.