Surprise

Until I Die

 

“Surprise!!!” I sighed seeing the person who happily rang my bell at 7 early in the morning when I was still sleeping. I opened my door wider letting her in.

“It’s not surprising since you come here like everyday, Krystal. And where is the spare key I gave you that day?” I said while heading my way to the kitchen lazily without looking at her.

“Well unnie, you can just pretend you were surprised then. As for the spare key, I forgot it at home.” She said cheekily.

“So?” I asked straight to the point.

“What?”

“What do you want?”

“Aww unnie, it’s freaking Sunday, we should go out.”

“Yes Krystal, it's freaking Sunday, I should just sleep.”

“Cmon unnie, we’re going to the mall, or the amusement park.”

“You don’t actually think a mall or amusement park would be that crazy open at 7 in the morning just for you, huh?” I said while holding a cup to get some water.

“No, we’re having breakfast first I guess.” She grinned looking at the plastic bag she’s been holding this whole while.

“You know I’m not in the mood Krystal. I’ve been busy this whole week, you have no idea how tired I am.” I drank my water and put my cup into the sink, not planning to wash it as I turn slowly heading back to my room.

“When did you ever have mood doing anything since Tiffany unnie left, Sica unnie?” It was almost a whisper but I stopped immediately after hearing that name. 

“When was your last time hanging out with your family? With me?” she continued, louder.

I couldn't answer cause she was right, I very much don’t have time for them lately, I would choose to busy myself rather than having some free time. It’s because I'm trying my hardest to avoid thinking of someone.

“Look, my best friend’s birthday party in just a few days, and I need my sister to accompany me buying clothes, you have great taste in fashion unnie, I really need you badly right now.” Her voice slowed down, probably realized that she just started a sensitif topic.

"Why don't you just borrow my clothes since you never cared i would say no anyway?" I said slightly annoyed even though i knew she didn't mean it.

To be honest I feel guilty, I don’t really remember the last time I went to my parents' house, was it five or six months ago? They sometimes called, but the conversations never lasted more than 3 minutes on the phone, often me who hang up first. It always came up with reasons like busy or something. But here my little sister doesn’t buy that. She comes whenever she wants, even if it's late at night she doesn't care. Lately she comes more often, i just let her be cause i'm too lazy to guess what's inside her mind. Sometimes she just wanted to borrow some clothes since our sizes are pretty much the same, or maybe just checking whether if I was drunk or not ever since I was caught drinking soju in my room once.

“C’mon unnie, I missed going to mall with you, shopping and doing stuff together.” She looked at me with those pleading eyes.

I smiled thinking that it was quite a while too. I always plan my day on weekend with just sleeping. Maybe it won't be so bad going out with her.

"So? What do we have for breakfast?" I asked before turning my head to the plastic bag. I could sense her smile finally.

"Of course it's your favorite pancake unnie, and chocolate too...."

 

 

"Good morning Jessi." She greeted me with her beautiful smile as always.

"Good morning Tiff." I answered trying not to sound too awkward at the second day after our simple wedding.

"Um, I made some pancakes, you must be hungry since you didn't eat much last night." She turned around getting some plates and forks, and something I didn't fail to notice before she hid it behind her long sleeve, 2 inches long of burning flesh, the color was still red. Did she get it while cooking the pancakes? I wonder if there was more.

"Do you wanna put some butter?”

“Huh?” My thought distracted by her sudden question then I look at her holding a plate full of pancakes.

“Um, I don’t know what you like to put on, so I bought all these.” I could see half of the table was filled with some butter, maple syrup, chocolate, jams etc.

“What time did you wake up preparing all these Tiff?” My question seemed to surprise her, then I saw a slightly blushing on her face.

“It doesn’t matter Jessi, cause I don’t mind doing it everyday.” She showed her eye smile.

 

 

“You took too long, unnie. What were you doing in bathroom? Geez.” My sister crossed her arms while looking at me with unpleasant eyes.

“You complain again and I’ll change my mind.” I ignored her while stepping ahead to my big mirror. “Go and wait for me in the kitchen, I’ll be there in a minute.” I said trying to get her out of my room while I’m changing.

“Okay okay, just make it quick unnie, after breakfast we have a lot of things to buy.”

 

 

"Jessica, I'm such a useless father. Forgive me..." I couldn't look at him, my visions are blur with tears now.

"What about Donghae? I love him so much, I can't break up with him Dad."

"I'm sorry Jessica, but it's not just our company, think about our hundreds of workers, they still have family to feed, only you that can save their lives. Just this once Jessica,   please... and I won't ask for more." I wish I could say no when my own father who's already in his 50 starts to kneel down in front of me.

 

 

"What kind of present should I give her unnie? Since she's my best friend, I should make it a bit special you know." I spread some butter on my pancake while listening to her.

"Since you're her best friend, your presence at her birthday party is enough for her." I said without looking at her.

"You really think so?"

"Yeah."

"It's great to hear that unnie, i don't need to save money buying gift for your birthday then."

"You what? Is that how you treat your own unnie?"

"Well, since I'm your sweet little sister, my presence at your birthday should be enough for you."

"You little brat..."

"Okay I'm sorry, I was just kidding."

 

 

She is someone who once ruined my life, I should hate her. But her kindness made me do otherwise. It’s hard not to like someone who did everything to you without complain or hope something in return.

“Happy birthday Jessi.” I gawked at the candle light dinner she made for me as well as those beautiful lights she set up in the backyard.

I know I shouldn’t feel sad of how my wife treat me. But I couldn’t help myself to think how I celebrate my birthday with Donghae last year. We even promised to always celebrate it together in every year from then. My tears just went out without me realizing it.

"Don’t cry." She said wiping my tears with her thumb. It’s when I noticed the painful in her eyes, I realized she is hurting as well.

“I will let you go Jessi, but for now just let me take care of you. I'll do my best, and if you still can't love me, I will let you go."

 

 

TBC