Plan D: Daehyun

Plan Z

Dear Diary

I'm so tired. I haven't had any sleep for the past four days. I'm both mentally and physically exhausted. I've been working hard, very hard to finding out his facts and data. I've finally found out everything about him though, after going through painful persistence.

I went straight to work after I'd found out that small piece of information about him which in other words, was his name. Jung Daehyun, it stuck to my head like glue. My mind automatically created Plan D and I just went for it. It was kind of like a subconscious planning.

Anyway, I did a whole lot of things over the past three days which makes me shudder in fright. It was scary, my plans were unbelievably unlike me. To start off, Plan D involved getting facts about Jung Daehyun. And the easiest method to get them was to obviously lay hands on his student records. It wasn't the easiest task in the world, trust me. But looking at the amount of luck I have (and the connections) I managed to get a copy, even if I wasn't the one who hacked the computer.

I was pondering in the library, the book was in front of me but I hardly paid any attention to it. It was sad seeing as it was a highly interesting book called 'Great Expectations'. I just stared at a random page, my mind trying to think up a way of getting Daehyun's records when the answer came right in front of my face.

A hand slammed my book shut and grabbed it out of my grip. Annoyed, I focused my gaze on the smirking face in front of me and demanded my book back.

"Not unless you tell me what's wrong with you," Himchan said.

I glared at him. Himchan is my childhood friend. We've known each other for a little more than a decade. Knowing someone that long allows you to know every single thing there is to know about that person. Up to the point when the other can tell when something is bothering you. However, being friends for so long also makes you sick of that person, in a good way. And sometimes, it's annoying when that person is pestering you to tell them what's bothering you. Like Himchan was doing at that moment.

Scowling, I tried to grab my book back but to no avail. Himchan simply hid it behind his back and still having that goofy grin on his face, he asked me what had been getting into me lately.

"Nothing," I said irritably as I tried to wrestle his arms forward. However, I failed to do so and it only resulted in me getting up and leaving that place.

Much to my annoyance, Himchan followed me and pestered me into telling him everything. I ignored him and left the library. Himchan grinned as he saw that I wasn't going to give in so easily and after putting the book on a random shelf, he tagged along behind me.

Did I mention how annoying Himchan was? It was one of those moments when he was high on caffeine and just felt like poking his nose into everyone's business. In the end, I just sighed and turned around to face him. I knew that there was no way he was ever going to give up in that state and I might as well tell him everything, seeing as we almost always confide in each other.

Himchan stopped in his tracks as soon as I turned around. There was a mischievous glint in his eyes and both of us knew that he had won.

"So tell me, what's your latest obsession?" he remarked.

"Obsession?" I repeated and chuckled afterwards. Himchan is always spot on when it comes to guessing.

"Yes. I know because you have that look in you that you always have when you're obsessed over something. That dreamy, dumb look as you're thinking about whatever you're thinking about. I see that look all the time, especially when you're thinking about Musiq Soulchild and Jay Park and well, whoever you like actually."

I blushed. Himchan really does know me well. I can't seem to keep anything from him, even if I try to, he'll know something's up at once. So I told him everything. Right from when I started having this huge obsession over Daehyun to my current process in the 26 Plans. As soon as I was done talking, Himchan stared at me with a weird look, he then shook his head and told me it was the most 'epic and lame thing' he had ever heard of. Trust Himchan to criticize whatever I was doing. I almost walked away from him angrily when he offered to help me

"And what do you suppose you can help me with?" I doubted him, big time. Of course, knowing him, who wouldn't?

Himchan grinned. It was a look he always had when he was coming up with one of his 'evil mad scientist' plans. I have to say though, most of his ideas succeed. He's just about as intelligent as me. We would've been competing for first place if only we were in the same grade. I folded my hands and waited for him to launch into explanation.

Still having that weird grin on his face, Himchan reminded me once again who he was and what he could do. It took me a few long minutes to actually figure out what he was talking about and relate it to my situation. When I finally got it however, I clapped Himchan on the back and praised him for being the smartest person in the world... second to me of course.

Himchan is the Principal's son. It's a fact that only I know. It's also the only reason why he's working hard in school. All those perfect scores and top grades are only achieved out of pressure of being the Principal's son. All the hard effort he puts into his work... It's more for having a father who rules his school rather than what he wants to academically achieve himself. Sometimes, I pity him for having to live that stressed lifestyle. But he always tells me that he's alright and that he doesn't really mind as long as he doesn't get into his dad's bad side. It must be really hard. I know Himchan isn't the type who loves school, he's barely like me at all. He's the type to go to parties and stuff. But I still admire him for putting up with his dad's expectations. Now, I'm not going to admit it to him ever and enlarge his already overly blown ego head.

He always boasts that he's the best. Even then, he went off about how getting a copy of Daehyun's records would be a piece of cake. Truthfully, I was more than a little nervous for him. I didn't know how he was going to do that and knowing his relation to the Principal, I highly doubted he'd be enlisted a less severe punishment if he was caught. I tried to make my point clear that if he was in any way uncomfortable with helping me with this, I would be glad to do it myself. However, he seemed confident and I just took hope in his assurances.

I felt bad to know that I was letting Himchan do the dirty work even though he volunteered for it. I was never one to force others to do my work when I could perfectly do it fine myself. I went home feeling pretty agitated. I knew Himchan was going to try and hack his father's computer and hacking wasn't easy AT ALL. Heck, there are a thousand different combinations of what the password could be. How in the world was he going to gain access? I became more nervous at that thought. Perhaps it would've been better if I had kept my mouth shut and firmly refused to tell him anything.

My concern for Himchan grew when I didn't receive any form of news from him till dinner. My parents noticed my changed attitude and asked me whatever the matter was. I just shook my head and told them that I was tired from all the late night studying I had been supposedly doing. It was a mistake choosing that excuse as they later demanded that I sleep early that night. So I had no other choice than to turn myself in early.

I couldn't sleep. Part of it was because it was only 9.45 pm while the other part was because I was still deeply concerned over my friend's quest at getting hold of those records. My anxiety grew stronger as time passed and I had nothing but the dark shadows of my room to distract myself.

Finally, when it was about two in the morning (yes, I couldn't get a wink of sleep until then), my phone vibrated and the light shone on my ceiling. I instantly grabbed it off my bedside table and to my delight, I saw Himchan's name on the screen. He had sent me a text message.

'Hey Jae Jae! Sorry I didn't text you earlier, I forgot. Anyway, just want to tell you that I have succeeded (but of course) and that I have sent an email which includes all the records of Jung Daehyun! Happy reading~ Oh and by the way, he's not bad ;)'

I silently rejoiced to myself and quickly typed a thankful reply back to Himchan. After that, I cuddled under my blankets. I would take a look at those records the next day. Right then, I needed to sleep. The good news finally brought me down to slumber.

The next day, I met Himchan before school started. He was chatting with some of the seniors but he spared me some time to ask me whether I had taken a look at the records. I told him I hadn’t and that I would be noting down every piece of information once I got back.

"By the way, how did you manage to hack in?" I asked curiously.

Himchan rolled his eyes. "My dad uses the same password for everything. Kinda unsafe, I know but it's great when it comes to these situations."

I chuckled and Himchan wished me the best of luck. I expressed my gratitude towards him but he just waved it off and gave me a smile before rejoining his group of friends.

I happily made my way to class. It was the first time I couldn't wait for school to end and get back home. I needed to look at those records. School was still awesome though, Daehyun and I exchanged smiles and he even muttered 'Hi' while walking past me, to which I didn't respond because I was too tongue-tied.

I rushed home that day, sprinting all the way and never stopping to catch my breath until I had reached my front door. I quickly unlocked the door and headed straight to my room, turning on my PC and tapping the mouse impatiently while the computer loaded. I checked my email and immediately caught sight of the one Hinchan sent the previous night, grinning as I opened it and downloaded the files that were attached to it.

It's probably the worst thing I've ever done in my life, breaking the school rules and risking getting into serious trouble. Yet it was still the best thing I've ever done because of the amount of information I learnt from that single file of student records. I learnt everything about him... Well, almost everything. It's confirmed that he's from Busan and he moved to Seoul with his family and attend high school here. I can't write down everything there is in the student records here but I have jotted down some important facts about him on the cover. I looked through his school records and was utterly surprised at his rather high grades. My Daehyun is so smart~

For the next two days, I spent my time researching about his previous school and Googling more information about him. I found out through his past achievements that he's actually good at singing. Strange. I'm not trying to compliment myself here but my voice isn't too bad either. I suppose this is one thing we both have in common.

Oh the loads and loads of stuff I dug up about him. I found out his parents are Jung Gyuri and Jung Hongjae. I surfed through an old article about him winning the annual Busan singing competition when I came to a particular part of the article which made me frown.

Here is an extract from the article:

‘Fourteen-year-old Jung Daehyun managed to impress us with his stunning vocals as he took the first spot in this year's annual Busan Singing Competition. Our reporter had the opportunity to speak to this young boy's proud mother.

"He liked to sing ever since he was young," said Mrs Jung Minhee. "Both my husband and I supported him and ever since then, he has had a passion for singing."’

I squinted my eyes and read it again, turning back to Daehyun's student records. Something was wrong here, in the records, it was said that his mother's name is Jung Gyuri while in the article, it's Jung Minhee. Which one is the real one? Confused, I scratched my head. Maybe the reporters messed up the name. It was most likely that it was messed up in Busan's local newspaper rather than Daehyun's official student records.

I continued my search for his particulars. I was obsessed over it like how I would be obsessed over a video game and I was glued to the computer screen for the whole weekend. Even my meals had to be taken up to my room. My mother finally pried me away from the PC and I reluctantly dragged my away from the chair. I was contented, I had all the information I needed. I looked down at the thick wad of paper in my hand, not only had I gotten myself to know more about him, I'd even found out basically almost everything that has happened in his life. There is one mystery though... Why did he move to Seoul all of a sudden? Furthermore, he was in the middle of a semester in school. I shrugged it off, feeling too tired to think straight. I only had enough energy to shower and write in my diary before turning myself in. I guess I should be going to bed right now, I've got school tomorrow.

Yours sincerely

Youngjae

P.S. I owe Himchan big time.