CHAPTER 9: LATE NIGHT SUPPER

Silver City College

 

After the lectures and classes were over, Kyuhyun and Sungmin figured out what was happening to Hyukjae when Donghae told the story to them with tears in his eyes. Donghae told them continuously how he felt really guilty about not asking Hyukjae to eat with them and how he never bought any food for Hyukjae thinking that Hyukjae already ate. Sungmin and Kyuhyun consoled him and patted him several times before decided that they should wait for Hyukjae in their room. It was 6 in the evening and there were still no signs of Hyukjae.

      Donghae just made it on time to the English class after the lunch hour but he really had no mood to focus on the lesson. He kept thinking about Hyukjae’s conditions and he prayed that Hyukjae will be alright after getting some treatments at hospital. The weather seemed like it understands Donghae’s feeling and it was cloudy throughout the afternoon and the evening. Donghae too was feeling gloomy and he mistakenly entered the Account tutorial class instead of his English class. He skipped his lunch to clean the mess that Hyukjae had done because he really had no appetite at all. Now, Kyuhyun was forcing him to eat something because he was worried that Donghae could end up like Hyukjae.

      “Eat this, Donghae. You haven’t had lunch yet, you’ll fall sick like Hyukjae if you don’t eat something.” Kyuhyun shoved him some bread he just bought at the college mart. Donghae inhaled deeply then he exhaled loudly. “I’ll just keep this bread for Hyukjae. He can’t skip any meals.” Sungmin shook his head. “No worries, Donghae. We’ve bought plenty of food here.”

      Sungmin showed Donghae a bag full of food. He took out all the content inside and sorted it on his bed. There are four cups of ramen, one package of biscuits, six packets of bread, one box of hot chocolate mixed powder packets, and four bottles of various milks, two of them were strawberry and another one was chocolate and full cream flavors. Donghae was still hadn’t show any signs of excitement upon seeing all the food and drinks but instead he just replied shortly. “It’s okay, I’ll eat when Hyukjae is here. I want to do my homework and some revision first.” Donghae stood up from Sungmin’s bed and went towards his desk to take out his notes for today’s lectures and tutorials. He switched on the table lamp and started revising in his own world.

      After a while, their door was opened and Hyukjae entered the room with a bag of what seemed like medicines and he smiled bitterly upon seeing his roommates. The first word that Hyukjae ever uttered after he arrived was, “I’m sorry.” Donghae who wasn’t aware at Hyukjae’s arrival at first turned when he heard Hyukjae’s voice and he beamed when he saw Hyukjae. “Hyukjae!!!” all of the other roommates shouted his name. Donghae moved from his desk and ran towards Hyukjae and intended to hug him but apparently Hyukjae was feeling a little bit of awkwardness because of what was happening earlier and stepped back a little. Kyuhyun and Sungmin also went towards Hyukjae at the door and greeted him. Donghae realized that Hyukjae was still feeling a bit shy and stopped doing what he intended to do early. Instead, Donghae patted Hyukjae’s shoulder.

      “Are you okay there, Hyukjae? Sorry we’ve missed you. Come inside, stay in your bed. You must be feeling tired right?” Sungmin pulled Hyukjae to his bed and Kyuhyun took the medicine from Hyukjae’s grip. Donghae on the other hand was observing Hyukjae from head to toe. Hyukjae looked a lot better than before, and Donghae can finally see Hyukjae smiled. Even though it was more like a bitter smile of a sick person, it’s better than no smile at all.

      “Have you eaten yet?” asked Donghae to Hyukjae. Hyukjae nodded and after what seemed like a minute lying on the bed, Hyukjae stood and went to his desk. “Where are you going?” asked Donghae worriedly. Hyukjae turned and smiled a little before he answered, “I’ve got to catch a lot of lessons. Study is still our first priority right?” Donghae hesitated a bit. “But… you’re still recovering… aren’t you?” asked Donghae. “Don’t worry. I’ve taken my medicine already. Thank you, Donghae.” Donghae felt satisfied and really happy with Hyukjae’s respond. He nodded and he too moved to his own desk to start the revision.

      After showering and taking dinners together for the first time as four-members of room number 11, the room went silent again starting from 9 at night because all of them started to do their revision and tutorial homework. All of them had the same way of studying; they were all listening to music while studying. But of course, they listened to it with earphones so that they didn’t disturb anyone. Donghae really had a tough time with Biology and because of that, he peeped to Kyuhyun’s desk and saw Kyuhyun was doing some mathematics problems.

       Donghae took off his earphones and was taken by surprise to hear all of his other roommates singing while listening to their song. Before he took off his earphones, he couldn’t hear anything because he listened to it at full volume. And now when he finally realized the situation, he couldn’t help but to laugh at his roommates’ funny singing. But the funniest had to be Hyukjae. He was singing so passionately even though he was way off the key. Hyukjae wasn’t like this before. Did he already open up his heart to them?

      Donghae turned to Kyuhyun to ask Biology and noticed that Kyuhyun really have a smooth voice. He was singing to some random Japanese song and Donghae counted the numbers just like what Mr. Kim did in Biology class before. “One, two, three, go!” Donghae slapped Kyuhyun’s shoulder hard and Kyuhyun was really shocked at Donghae’s act and turned at him. “WHAT??” asked Kyuhyun in a loud voice because he was wearing the earphones with loud music. Donghae gestured Kyuhyun to take off his earphones and Kyuhyun understand what Donghae asked him to do and pause his music. Donghae asked Kyuhyun to teach him some Biology lesson that he didn’t understand since the lecture this morning and Kyuhyun was more than willing to help Donghae. But both of them didn’t realize that Hyukjae was surreptitiously looking at both of them from his desk.

      After what seemed like eternity, they finally took a break from the revision at twelve midnight. Hyukjae who worn a worried look on his face and Sungmin who sat besides his desk noticed it first. “What is it Hyukjae? Are you sick again? Did you hurt anywhere?” asked Sungmin with care. Donghae and Kyuhyun were both turned into Hyukjae’s and Sungmin’s desk and looked nervous. ‘Is Hyukjae going to vomit again?’

      “Erm… I’m hungry but I don’t have food with me. College mart must’ve closed by now…” Hyukjae looked so embarrassed with himself when he uttered that word. But he still continued, “But you know… it’s late… and I can’t skip meal…” Sungmin rushed into his bed without listening to Hyukjae’s further explanation and took the plastic bag that contains the food. He bought the plastic bag to the center of their room on the floor and started sorting the food out just like he did before.

      “Okay, guys! Let’s have a supper before we continue our activities. Hyukjae, come here! Kyuhyun, Donghae, come, come! Look what we have here. A bagful of food and drinks!” Suddenly, the very dull atmosphere of room number 11 has changed to lively. All the roommates including Hyukjae pull off from their chairs and went towards Sungmin’s side. Sungmin was just like a mother in that room. That is understandable because Sungmin is the oldest there even though they were all eighteen years old.  

      Sungmin sorted out the milk drinks and breads and even biscuits. Kyuhyun took a place besides Sungmin and Donghae sat besides Kyuhyun. Hyukjae looked quite doubtful at first before he took a sit besides Donghae. Donghae smiled at Hyukjae and patted him. This has become a habit for Donghae to pat Hyukjae whenever he can. Hyukjae blushed when Donghae did so but Donghae couldn’t notice anything because he was so clueless. “Okay everyone. Choose your milk now!” informed Sungmin and without hesitating any moment, all of them chose their favorite milk flavor. And it came as no surprise as Hyukjae and Donghae chose the same flavors; strawberry milk. “Wow, you like strawberry milk too?” asked Donghae surprised. Hyukjae nodded, also surprised and he drank the milk in no time before he replied to Donghae, “It’s my all-time favorite.”