CHAPTER 8: AGONY

Silver City College

 

It was the afternoon of the first day going into the new semester for Silver City College students and most students already finished with the lectures and they were getting ready for the tutorials in the afternoon. Some chose to go to lunch first and some just waited in front of the class for the next tutorial. Most of the cafés were filled with students. There are at least four cafés at Silver City College, two for each hostel; boys’ hostel and girls’ hostel.

      Donghae thought for a while whether to eat lunch first or waited at the tutorial class. Then his stomach made an embarrassing sound, so he made a decision already. He already arrived at the café where he always ate during orientation week. He opened his bag to search for his wallet but he couldn’t find it anywhere at all. “Oh, shoot! I must’ve forgotten my wallet and unintentionally left it in my room! I don’t remember putting it in my bag!” Donghae gulped at the delicious meal on the counter of the café. There are chickens; soups, sausages and a lot more food that will tempted everyone who was sitting there. Donghae had no choice but to go back to his room and grabbed his wallet.

      “Aish, why am I so careless?” babbling Donghae at himself. Donghae ran towards the hostel throughout the café and feeling thankful that he didn’t have to take the stairs to go to his room because his room was at the ground floor. He remembered his last lecture with Mr. Kim and suddenly he felt really stress. “How am I supposed to score in Biology if I couldn’t understand a thing?” He arrived at the front door of his room number 11 and opened the door without thinking and surprisingly the door was unlocked. He might not remember his wallet, but he surely remembered seeing Kyuhyun locking the door with the key. ‘Does the key broke or something?’ thought Donghae. As soon as he opened the door, he was astounded to see a figure lying on the floor, practically whimpering in pain. Donghae noticed immediately that it was Hyukjae by his blonde hair.

      “Hyukjae, what happened?? Are you hurt??” Donghae immediately moved towards Hyukjae who was frowning and whimpering while holding his stomach. He looked like he was in a serious pain. Donghae was worried about Hyukjae’s well-being and he hold Hyukjae’s hands and looked at Hyukjae. Hyukjae was mouthing something and Donghae paid attention to what Hyukjae was trying to say. “What is it, Hyukjae? Tell me slowly.” Donghae looked like he was about to cry because he felt totally helpless in this situation. What actually happened to Hyukjae? How did he end up hurting himself?  Donghae held Hyukjae’s hands tightly. What will happen if he wasn’t here? Hyukjae will suffer this alone and things might become worse.

      “Donghae…… I f-feel…… nausea……” Hyukjae muttered those words in agony. Donghae was panicking at Hyukjae’s words. “W-what…? You’re feeling nausea? You feel like throwing up? Is your stomach in pain?” Donghae can’t tell whether Hyukjae was listening to him because suddenly Hyukjae vomited at Donghae’s lap. Donghae was stunned and couldn’t move an inch.  The smell of Hyukjae’s vomit filling up the rest of the room and suddenly Donghae was feeling nausea too. But he held the sudden urge to puke and he put Hyukjae aside from himself. “Hyukkie, I’m going to go tell the warden about your condition. You stay here okay?”

      Donghae looked at the pitiful Hyukjae and without realizing it, a drop of tears were falling from his eyes. Before he stepped outside the room, he spoke to Hyukjae. “Hyukkie, don’t worry, I’ll be back soon! I’m going to go get some help, you stay there okay! Hold it for a little while!” Donghae stepped outside his room and ran quickly to the warden’s house on the level two of the hostel. He didn’t care if his shirt was messed with Hyukjae’s puke. He didn’t care if all the other students looked at him with a weird stare. He didn’t care if the other students covered their nose because of the puke smell. All he cared about right now is to save Hyukjae.

      Donghae arrived at the warden’s house after running upstairs. He was covering in sweat. He knocked the warden’s house several times and looked at his watch. He cannot delay the time now, because Hyukjae’s condition might worsen. He was getting impatient and knocked again. He tapped his foot several times because of nervousness. After what seemed like hours gone by, finally the warden opened his door. “Yes, how may I help you?” asked the warden. “Mr. Shin, help me please! My roommate… Hyukjae… he fell sick… I don’t know why… I think he’s hurting somewhere… he seemed…” Donghae couldn’t continue his explanations as he burst into tears. He sobbed hard and all the thoughts of his nuisance acts towards Hyukjae were running through his mind. Hyukjae might not like him as much as he likes Hyukjae, but after all Hyukjae is still his friend and roommate. “Help him please, Mr. Shin… I’m begging you… he’s my roommate… Mr. Shin…” Donghae ended up kneeling at Mr. Shin and he felt at loss. Mr. Shin got the message and hurriedly stood Donghae up and consoled him before they arrived at room number 11.

      Hyukjae was still lying around the floor while holding his stomach and whimpering in agony but there were more pukes founded spreading on the floor. Donghae bite his lips, trying to hold his tears as he watched Mr. Shin treating Hyukjae. Hyukjae’s face looked really pale because he kept vomiting and he looked like he had no energy left. Mr. Shin observed Hyukjae and then he made the decision. “Erm… boy, what’s your name again?” asked Mr. Shin to Donghae. Donghae looked at Mr. Shin and answered, “Donghae. My name is Lee Donghae, Mr. Shin.” Mr. Shin nodded. “Okay, Donghae. I need to send your roommate to the nearby hospital because he looks like he’s having a gastric. Does he skip any meals yesterday and today?” asked Mr. Shin. Donghae stuttered. “G-gastric? I-I didn’t know he have gastric. I-I’m not sure if he skipped any meals…”

      Suddenly, Donghae realized something. So for all this time, Hyukjae was actually skipping meals and Donghae hadn’t aware that Hyukjae was having a gastric. In fact, Hyukjae himself didn’t realize that he had a gastric because due to him skipping meals so frequently during the first week of the orientation, he developed the gastric pain. Donghae felt guilty because he didn’t take any initiations to ask Hyukjae to eat with him and Kyuhyun and Sungmin. He thought that Hyukjae was eating well all by himself so that’s why Donghae didn’t bother to ask Hyukjae for any food. What a bad roommate he was.

      “Donghae, you cleaned up the mess while I send your roommate to the hospital. I’ll be back soon so don’t worry.” Mr. Shin took Hyukjae to stand on his own feet. Hyukjae looked twice skinnier than he already is. Hyukjae mouthing something desperately and Donghae read his lips just to tear up more when he figured out Hyukjae were mouthing a “Thank you”.