CHAPTER 1: FIRST MEETING

Silver City College

 

As much as he hated the summer, he never felt so hot before in his life, queuing in a long line to get into the hostel. It was July, and of course, this was the time when the weather is the hottest, moreover, it was 12 in the afternoon. He was sweating all over his face and his body, and he let out a sigh, having to backpack a bag and on both his left and right side were the luggage he brought full with clothes and daily necessities.

      Lee Donghae wasn’t fully aware that somebody just got in the line in front of him even though he has been on that position for quite sometimes now. He stared at the rather taller figure in front of him, and managed a smile. He doesn’t care if somebody stole his line or anything because he was too tired to argue. He looked at his watch and then looked back at the taller figure in front of him and somehow Donghae knew he was not a very tall boy. He brushed his black messy fringe hair several times before he let out a yawn.

      Meanwhile, Cho Kyuhyun was mumbling alone to himself from the banquet hall.

      “Aish, I should’ve come earlier! Look at that freaking long queue!!!”

      Kyuhyun brought both his big bags and managed to arrive at the hostel outside and then he saw a short boy who looked quit dazed and then he thought to himself. ‘Hmm, would he be mad if I just stand in front of him? I can’t stand the heat at all!’ So, Kyuhyun stole the line from the boy and smirked to himself. ‘Haha… I did it!’

      Donghae was almost falling asleep when he finally arrived at the registering counter outside the hostel. He signed a couple of papers then was ushered by the staff of the hostel to the small hall of the hostel. To be honest, Donghae didn’t know anyone from this college. This was the first day of college after high school and nobody from his school went into this college, sad life that he had to be apart with his schoolmates. Sometimes, he thought that it wasn’t fair because his two best friends got the same college. But well, this is life and he had to live through it.

      He entered the small hall in the hostel and looked around. There were not many empty chairs at the back because obviously he was not early, but there are a couple of empty chairs at the very front of the hall. One of the empty chairs was exactly besides the taller figure boy who just steals Donghae’s line just now. He had no choice but to sit there.

      So, Donghae just sat there awkwardly and trying to look away from that tall boy on his left and turned to his right for another unknown boy. He managed a smile to the boy on his right but unfortunately, the boy wasn’t smiling back and just pouted on his own. Donghae felt disappointed with the respond he got from the boy and just ignored everyone while the next process of registering began. Just when he was about to be moody because of the tense environment, the tall boy turned to him.

      “Hi there.” A simple two-word that doesn’t really matter to anyone but it actually meant a lot to Donghae when he heard that words coming from the tall boy’s mouth. Donghae turned and saw the tall boy smiled widely to him and Donghae secretly smiled back to him too. “Oh… erm. Hi.”

      Kyuhyun looked at the short boy besides him. ‘Wow, so he is sitting next to me. Does he want to scold me for stealing his queue line?’ But the referred short boy wasn’t even looking at him after he sat beside him. Kyuhyun got bored looking around the hall because he knew nobody at all. Okay, he actually had some friends from his school which got into this college too, but they are not here at the moment. They told him that they will come at 3 in the afternoon. For Kyuhyun, that was way too late. He doesn’t want to be bother arriving late then have to unpack things when it’s already night time.

      So he picked up the courage and turned to the short boy and said, “Hi there.” The short boy looked surprised but he looked like he was smiling a bit before replied to him. Kyuhyun thought for awhile before bringing the topic. “There are lots of people today right?” asked Kyuhyun. The short boy smiled. “Yes, and one of them just steals my queue line, if you want to know.” Kyuhyun chuckled for a while. ‘Wow, this boy sure had some sense of humor.’ Kyuhyun replied, “I’m sorry. I didn’t notice that you’re there. Why didn’t you tell me beforehand? By the way, I’m Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun.” He pulled out his hand to shake with the short boy. The short boy pulled out his hand too and shook him. “It’s okay. My name is Donghae. Lee Donghae.”

      And that was the first meeting ever of Lee Donghae and Cho Kyuhyun. And because both of them registered together, they both became the roommates of the hostel. And their story just began.