CHAPTER 7: MR. KIM

Silver City College

 Every students of Silver City College were very excited to begin a new semester with a hope that they will do well in terms of studies and sports. On the first day of the semester in a shiny Monday morning, all the students woke up early to take a bath and getting ready to go to classes. And the situation was no different for the four 18-year-old members of room number 11.

      All of them were getting ready with the books and bags and all looked very handsome with new shirts and ties. Donghae chose to wear blue shirt with a black tie and his hair isn’t as messy as usual. Kyuhyun chose to wear a simple black and white stripe shirt with a black tie too just like Donghae. Sungmin was unbelievably choosing a pink shirt with an extraordinary green bowtie to match it. It seemed like Sungmin really has a bad fashion taste. On the other hand, Hyukjae chose the purple shirt that matched his white tie. Donghae jumped from his bed to look in the mirror that was closest to Sungmin’s bedside. There was Kyuhyun in front of the mirror and Donghae playfully pushed Kyuhyun away to use the mirror.

      “Shush, shush! A prince wants to use the mirror, get out!” Kyuhyun was pulled over by Donghae as Donghae looked into the mirror, quite satisfied with his own look. “Oh, why am I so handsome?” Smiled Donghae at the mirror. A loud puke sound was heard after Donghae has spoken. Donghae turned to see Hyukjae doing the fake puke sound and Donghae just let it slide.

      “Well, today we are going to be apart in our own path. Good luck you guys!” cheered Sungmin. He high-fived Kyuhyun who was a lot taller than himself then he high-fived Donghae followed by the unwilling Hyukjae. Hyukjae didn’t look too good that morning, Donghae wondered why. “Are you sick?” asked Donghae to Hyukjae. Hyukjae his back and took his bag. “If somebody doing a puke sound, it doesn’t mean that they are sick. I’m going.” Hyukjae pulled the door and stepped outside the room before he walked away, leaving the other three in an awkward situation.

      “He is such a weirdo.” Said Kyuhyun as he took his bag and wore it. Sungmin nodded and took his pink bag too. “Yeah, indeed. He should’ve gone together with us to classes.” Said Sungmin. Donghae looked at both Kyuhyun and Sungmin. “But all of us aren’t having the same lecture and tutorial, right? Besides, Hyukjae’s the only one that took Physics so maybe he needed to find another friend that took the same course as he is, perhaps?” Donghae explained but he even doubted his own explanation.

      “You’re too kind, Donghae. That is why you just exploded the day before yesterday. He is a cold-hearted blondie, which you cannot tame easily.” Kyuhyun patted Donghae on his shoulder. Donghae pouted. He let out a sigh. “Maybe I am. But I can’t help it.” Sungmin then interrupted their conversations. “Guys, it’s 7:30 am already, the classes will start soon. Let’s go!”

      From their hostel to the lecture hall, it took about five minutes of walk to get there. The scenery of Silver City College was so beautiful. There were flowers and trees all along the road to the lecture hall. In between the lecture hall and the hostel, there are café where they have been eating there since Saturday. The weather was nice and sunny as the beautiful wind blew softly to their faces. The road to the lecture hall was filled with students coming from their respective hostel. The sound of the students talking was buzzing throughout the way. The sound of the students’ footsteps was clearly audible and most of them were excited to begin the semester with a motivation to do well in studies.

      Donghae parted away with Kyuhyun and Sungmin who went into the lecture hall 5 and lecture hall 3 respectively and said goodbye to both of them. Donghae was nervous. Apart from his roommates, he never knew any other students. Except his neighbor Siwon. Even though there were a week orientations, but during that period he stuck together with his roommates most of the time that he hadn’t made any other new friends. It sounded weird but it’s true.

      Donghae arrived at the lecture hall 6 for the Biology course and saw a few students entered the hall without any hesitations. Donghae had a few doubts in his mind before he motivated himself to enter the hall. Once he entered the hall, it was already half-filled with male and female students. The hall was not very big but it can surely fill a hundred students. The tables and chairs were positioned cinema-like, where the very back tables gets the highest position while the most front tables gets the lowest position. He walked through the lecture hall’s door and scanning through the hall to find an empty seat. Once he found it, he moved towards the seat and throughout the way, he managed to give a smile to the students whom he saw. And when he finally arrived, he took a seat and put his bag below, took out his note book and a pen and put it into the table. He turned to his left and gave a smile to the other male student.

      The first lecture of the day was Chemistry and even though some students were very eager to start the lesson on the very first day, most of them were relieved that the lecturer decided to only give an introduction to the topics that they were going to learn and introducing herself. So, the Chemistry lecture ended quickly and the next thing they were waiting for the lecturer of Biology.

      While waiting, Donghae just sat there and looked awkward because he really knew nobody. Then suddenly, from behind, he heard someone called his name. “Donghae! Hey, Donghae!” Donghae turned and saw Siwon. He beamed at the sight of a known face. “HI SIWON!!!” Donghae screamed Siwon’s name in an excited mannered but that just grabbed the other students’ attention to him. Donghae looked sheepishly shy and bowed his head to everyone. “Sorry. Sorry.” Siwon laughed. “I didn’t know you were the same lecture as I am. Which tutorial are you going to be?” asked Siwon. Donghae looked into his timetable and then he turned to Siwon back. “I’m going to be at tutorial 33. How about you?” asked Donghae eagerly. Siwon sighed. “Mine is 34. Too bad we aren’t the same tutorial.” Donghae nodded in agreement. Then, he suddenly remembered about Siwon talking about Hyukjae last Saturday and was about to ask him again when all the students’ conversations were interrupted by a loud bang of a lecture hall’s door. The Biology lecturer is here.

      Donghae didn’t know which part of the lecturer looked weird for him, either his very long and curly hair, or the glittering silver outfit that totally outshined himself in the crowd, or for the fact that he wore a magical hat-like above his long curly hair, or he didn’t even look like a lecturer at all. He looked more like a magician to Donghae. All the students’ focus was on the lecturer who entered the hall and took place at the lecturer’s spot before he looked around the hall and took the microphone.

      “Yeah. You guys looking good. Yeah. Looking awesome. Welcome, welcome. Are you ready to burn your brain up and learn some Biology?? I bet you didn’t! Prepare yourself kid. Don’t ever blink in this class or else you’ll miss everything. I never repeat the same lesson twice so you know what you’re going to do right kids? I’m Mr. Kim and one, two, three go!” The Biology lecturer didn’t even let the students absorbed what he just said to them and suddenly he began his lesson by talking nonstop and showing the slideshow of the presentation without any introductions on the topics with a really fast tempo. Donghae and the other students were very stunned at the situation and they had no choice but to jot down everything that they saw or perhaps noticed and they ended up writing like a worm-handwriting. Donghae swore that this lecturer is the weirdest that he’d ever encounter. Donghae also swore that the other students thought the same too.

      “Okay mitosis is a… you see that in the slide, okay next slide! Meiosis is different because… okay, you can see that in this slide, next slide! The reasons mitosis and meiosis are important because, you know it right, it’s obvious. You’ve learnt that in school before this right? Okay, next slide!” Donghae was having a nightmare he never thought he had. Suddenly, he regretted taking Biology course. Mr. Kim is a freaky dude.