21 - Heartbroken

Like Scattered Pieces of a Puzzle

Eunsuh's POV

 

I was on a date with Jonghun.

We were at Han River, on the boat that takes you from one side of the river to the other side and back. Jonghun held up my camera to take some pictures of us. As we watched the boat tread further away from shore, my mind digressed.

 

Seunghyun dragged me into the lake. That time, I was scared for my life, only to find out that he was joking. With all the luck in the world, I would be the idiot to trip on a rock and fall only to fall into Seunghyun’s arms, which eventually led to the freezing cold water. That night, I almost caught hypothermia but we had so much fun splashing at each other and trying to drown one another.

 

I felt something touch my shoulder, to find Jonghun’s arms around me, snapping me out of my thoughts. I just smiled faintly to hide my lack of attention.

“You seem deep in thought. Come on, it’s a date. Stop thinking about other trivial things like work.” He pointed out as he poked my ribs, making me jump. I pouted at him, since he intentionally did that, knowing that I was very ticklish.

The boat eventually came to its stop and we got off. It was still early afternoon and neither of us ate lunch.

“What haven’t you eaten yet while in Korea? I’m pretty sure your family already took you to Daeryodo.” Jonghun pointed out as he reached for my hand. I stiffened at first but eventually relaxed as I allowed the entwining of my fingers with his.

 

Come on, Eunsuh, you’re on a date. Let’s have some fun.

 

“Ummm….” I was deep in thought as to what we could eat. He normally liked everything that I liked.

“Have you had ddukbbokee yet?” He pointed out and he smirked when he saw my face lighten up.

It was one of the street vendor foods that I loved. Although my family never really recommended me to eat from street vendors, it was one food that I just couldn’t resist. Plus, street vendor foods were freaking awesome.

“Oppa, can we get it from a street vendor?? PLEASSSEEEE???” I pleaded with my puppy-dog pout, in which he was entranced in for a little bit before he blinked and snapped out of it.

“I thought your family doesn’t want you eating street vendor food.” He emphasized to agitate me as his lips curled into a slight smile.

“Don’t be mean!” I pouted. “Besides, you want some, too!”

My face lightened up when we walked over to the street vendor. The lady smiled at me, asking me what I wanted.

“Ahjumma, could I get 2 dishes of ddukbbokkee and 1 row of kimbab?” I requested and she smiled before she looked up at Jonghun. I looked up at Jonghun, too. He seemed confused at first.

“What?” He said, before he realized what was missing. “Oh, so you want me to pay?” He joked.

I clasped my hand together and acted like a little out of my character, “Well, it IS a date, right??”

“Oh god, stop.” He pulled me in for a side hug before he replied, “that character doesn’t suit you.” He winked, which made me scoff and playfully roll my eyes.

The lady scooped up two dishes of ddukbbokee and placed it in front of us. I held my plate and started eating as I was taking in my surrounding.My attention diverted to the place across the street.

 

“You pay for the meal” He had the audacity to demand that.

“WHAT? YOU are the gentleman, I presume?” I replied back. That scene skipped ahead in my head and fast forwarded.

 

“…you owe me a day.” I requested, or rather demanded.

It became quiet before he questioned, “Are you asking me out on a date?”

Now it was my turn to take in what just happened.

“No. Don’t even. Freaking A. BLEHHH”

 

Wow, I was stupid back then…

 

The scene played back in my head as the place across the street was where Seunghyun and I had lunch. It wasn’t long before Jonghun set down his plate, that made me snap back to reality.

“Did you want more?” He asked, which made me look down at my empty plate. I looked at him with pleading eyes, because I was still hungry.

He smirked before he turned to the lady and asked for one more dish. We ended up sharing the third dish. After we finished eating, we bowed to thank her, gave her tip and left the vendor.

After getting into a Jonghun’s car, we made sure we weren’t being followed by anyone, even went inside another parking garage and switched cars before we headed out and he took me to another familiar location.

 

--

 

I sat at the piano, and played a chord. Jonghun came beside me and played the left hand notes while I went about playing right hand. He took over, as he started playing the song Love Letter. I sang to the song, as it was one of my favorites. Well, to be honest, I liked a lot of their songs.

He took over the rapping part and I joined in later on.

“You always had the best voice” he complimented when we finished the song.

“Psh, it’s nothing compared to Jaejin oppa’s voice.” I countered his compliment. He started playing another tune, while my mind went off on its own again.

 

By the time we got back from lunch and our tour of Seoul, it was just us two. I sat at the piano and he soon followed to sit next to me. At first trying to get used to the piano since it's been a while, I started to play a few chords before I went off playing a familiar tune to the ear. Nervous at first, I started to sing before he joined in for the rap part and we sung together. Then he played their most recent album title song, I wish. That time, that song had so much energy, and it was really fun to sing it together.

 

I shook my head to snap out of my thoughts to see a couple of music sheets in front of the keyboard. “I wish…” I whispered, without knowing, and it caught Jonghun’s attention. He looked up, and back at me.

“Hey, are you okay? You seemed to be spacing out a lot today.” Jonghun was concerned, but I just couldn’t help it, anymore. I looked into his eyes as he looked into mine and saw a lot of things—regret, remorse, responsibility….and…love.

 

It really hurt that I couldn’t do it anymore. He tried and yet it’s me who is the that won’t accept him back…instead, I felt like I’m betraying him.

“Hey oppa,” I started with a whisper, but he heard me as he laid his hand on my shoulder to reassure me that things would be okay. “Can you do me a favor?” I continued.

He hesitated but stuttered, “W-what is it?”

It became quiet. I didn’t know how to put it without making it sound bad. “Don’t…” I took a deep breath before I continued, “Don’t…fall back in love with me.”

Silence hit us hard. It was as if time had stopped, in a not-so-good-way. “W-why…” he managed to utter.

I looked away. I couldn’t face him anymore. Not only did I feel really sorry but it was just something beyond me. “I-I don’t want you getting hurt…”

 

Jonghun’s POV

 

Those words alone had hit me like none other. It was getting late and we still had a concert tomorrow, so I decided to drop her off.

The ride home was silent, but I swallowed my sorrows and tried to make conversation.

“Hey, you’re coming to our concert, right?” I asked to lighten the mood.

She finally looked up after looking dead and responded, “Yeah, umm…I might be late, but I’ll definitely make it at the end to hang out with you guys..if you want..”

“That sounds great.” I responded. My heart wanted to rip to shreds but I simply swallowed that too.

She looked down again, deep in thought. I knew she felt bad, but I didn’t want her to feel bad. That wasn’t my intention..

“Hey, don’t worry about it. You’ll still be my favorite person no matter what. So don’t be so glum.” I managed to say, though deep inside, I just really wanted to jump off a building.

She let out a soft smile.

 

There we go. She finally smiled.

 

“Thanks…oppa” she uttered out, “Drive safely. Fighting at the concert tomorrow. I’ll cheer you on.” With that said, she got out of the car and waved at me to say good bye and turned towards her apartment entrance.

 

 

--

 

“Don’t fall back in love with me” That phrase echoed in my head as I was driving home.

 

She finally figured it out.

 

I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I grasped my shirt in the way of my chest as I tried to ease the sharp contraction that caused pain. It hurt so much.

As much as I wanted to tell myself that I knew that this was going to happen, it really hurt thousand times more when reality caught up. A tear finally escaped.

 

It’s happening to me all over again, but this time, I really lost her. Way to go, Jonghun. Idiot.

 

I cursed at myself and cried out as tears overwhelmed me by now. I felt the familiar piece in my hand, the puzzle piece. The only thing I had that was left of us. I placed the back of my hand over my mouth to muffle the sobbing.

 

I lost…her. It’s game over…

 

It wasn’t long before I realized that I was an unstable piece of reckless crap. I swerved on the wheel and immediately pressed on the brakes, causing the car to screech before it parked along the curb. 

I grabbed my phone and dialed a number as I tried to contain myself.

 

“Hello?” the other line answered.

“Hey…” I paused for a brief second, looking around my surroundings to find a bar, “Pick me up. I don’t think I’ll be able to drive tonight.”

 

 


I finally finished finals :D And had time to write this so I hope you guys enjoy :) Please comment. I'd like to hear your opinions or your thoughts. It took a while for me to update not only because I had finals but to find the motivation to update this fanfic. So PLEASE, comments do give me motivation :)

Hope you enjoy :)

COMMENT.SUBSCRIBE.