Chapter Six: A Childish Challenge

Shanghai, I'm In Love

 

chapter six:

a childish challenge.

 

 

“Yes, good! A little bit to right! Okay! It’s done!”

“Thank you.” Tao nodded to the photographer and headed into the make up room with a sigh.

“Good job, Tao.” Chen gave Tao a smile and threw a bottle of water.

“I’m tired~” Tao whined.

“Oh, don’t be like a kid.” Chen rolled his eyes, sitting down on the table, “Is it done for today?”

“Yep.” Tao sighed.

“If I bring you to meet Suho, will you come?”

Tao turned his face to Chen with a mischievous smile, “To your-lovely-boyfriend-that-you-miss-so-much Suho? Of course!”

“It’s just Suho, !” Chen threw the nearest magazine to Tao, whom laughing hard.

“Okay, okay.” Tao wiped the tears from the corner of his eyes, “Let’s go then.”

 

 

“Okay, bye.”

“Who called you?” Kai asked Suho who just got back to their table.

”It’s Chen.” Suho smiled brightly, “He’s going to come here.”

“Chen?” Xiumin asked, “Ah, your boyfriend from that time!”

“Ssst!” Suho put his finger on his lips, “Can you lower your voice?

“Oops, sorry.” Xiumin chuckled.

“You’re going to introduce him to us, right?” D.O widened his eyes in joy, “I want to meet him!”

“Well…” Suho scratched his not-so-itchy head.

“Oh, come on!” Kai kicked Suho’s leg under the table, “Aren’t we best friends?!”

“Okay, okay!” Suho chuckled, kicking back Kai’s leg, “I’ll introduce you to him.”

“So, how does he look like?” D.O asked excitedly, “He’s cute, right??”

“He is.” Suho admitted shyly, “I love his dorky behavior.”

“Aaw~” D.O squealed, “He must be so cute until you’re like this!”

Kai glanced at Xiumin like saying, Doesn’t he know that he’s cute too?

Xiumin answered with his eyes, Why don’t you confess already, Slowpoke?

Kai rolled his eyes and shrugged, “It’s not the right time.”

“What?” Both Suho and D.O asked Kai.

“Uh…” Kai glanced at Xiumin who was hiding his laughter, “Nothing…”

 

 

“I brought my friend here.” Chen announced to Suho, “I hope you don’t mind.”

“Well, no. But, why is he hiding his face like that?”

“Err…” Chen glanced to the masked man, “How should I explain this?”

“Are you an idol or something?” Kai asked him.

“Or a model?” D.O added.

“I’m a rapper.” Tao answered shyly, lowered his mask a little bit so they could see him.

“I know you!” Kai pointed excitedly, “Whoa! Suho, I don’t know that your boyfriend is a friend of this famous rapper!”

Chen blushed to hear the sentence.

“Hello, I’m Tao.” Tao introduced himself shyly.

“Aww~ as a famous rapper who always appears in dark style, isn’t he too shy?” D.O asked to Kai before turning his eyes to Tao again, “Where’s that bao zi by the way??”

“Yah! Who did you call bao zi, you dork?!” Xiumin sat on the seat beside D.O and put the glass a little bit too hard.

“Xiumin?”

Xiumin turned his face to the masked man and narrowed his eyes, “Tao?”

“Oh, hey!” Tao chuckled, “I didn’t expect to meet you here!”

“What are you doing here??” Xiumin grinned.

Tao pointed at Chen, “I’m here with my friend. He’s visiting his boyfriend.”

“Suho?? So, your ChenChen is Tao’s friend?” Xiumin asked in shock, “God, the world is surely so small!”

“Wait!” D.O raised his hands between Tao and Xiumin, “Do you know each other??”

“Yes, duh.” Xiumin rolled his eyes.

“I usually buy my coffee at Xiumin’s place.” Tao explained.

Kai kicked Xiumin’s leg harshly, “You never told us you know a famous rapper like Tao! What kind of friend are you, huh?!”

“Aish!” Xiumin flicked Kai’s forehead, “Respect your senior!”

“Senior?” Tao asked.

“He’s the oldest among us.” Suho laughed, “This is the first time you admit it, Xiumin!”

“Shut up!” Xiumin sipped his drink embarrassingly.

“In what year you were born?” Tao asked.

“Hmm, 1990.” Xiumin admitted it.

“It means you’re three years older than me?” Tao widened his eyes, “I should call you Gege, right??”

“Don’t!” Xiumin pouted, “It makes me feel older than my real age!”

Tao chuckled. And then they kept talking, ignoring the friends around the.

“Hee…” Chen chuckled, “So, this is the guy, eh?”

“What do you mean?” Suho asked.

“I’ve been eyeing Tao these days. And he has mentioned Xiumin’s name before. He’s so in love with your friend.”

“With Xiumin?”

“Of course, Grandpa.” Kai rolled his eyes, “Can’t you see the feeling in Tao’s eyes wherever he talks to Xiumin?”

“Ah…you’re right.”

D.O sighed, “But, I don’t think Xiumin realizes it. He’s too clueless.”

Kai rolled his eyes to almost laugh Suho and mouthed, Isn’t he too?

 

 

Luhan held his urge to chuckle when he saw Tao coming into the coffee shop, “Xiumin is not here.”

“I know.” Tao sighed and sat in front of the counter, “I’ve just met him in his campus.”

“I don’t remember I told you where his campus is.” Luhan raised his eyebrows.

“It was accidentally happened.” Tao sighed, “But, that’s not why I’m here.”

 “You like him, don’t you?”

Tao widened his eyes, “N-no…”

“Liar.” Luhan chuckled, “It’s obvious that you like him, you know?”

“So, he probably knows?!” Tao asked in panic.

“Of course no.” Luhan rolled his eyes, “He’s the most clueless guy I’ve ever met. If I can see your feeling to him in one chance, it will take hundreds chances for him to realize.”

“Ah…” Tao sighed in relief, “I see.”

“Maybe you will face obstacle to make him realize. But, well, it has something to do with it.”

“I know.” Tao chuckled, “Do you know that he has boyfriend or he’s straight or he has crush?”

“He doesn’t have a boyfriend. But, as long as I know he got his eyes to a blonde man who always comes here to buy coffee.” Luhan answered, “And of course he’s straight. He’s straight like a circle.”

“So, who’s this guy?” Tao asked nervously.

“Hmm,” Luhan tapped his chin, “He met him in his campus.”

“So, this guy is one of the students too? Is he between the best friends he has?”

“No.” Luhan shook his head, “He was there because of event or something. I don’t know. But, no he’s not a student. He’s a photographer.”

“Ahh…” Tao nodded, “What does he look like?”

“Tall, handsome, model-like, blonde, calm, perfect.”

Tao hid his face on his arms, “You’ve just made me unconfident.”

Luhan chuckled, “Let me ask you something. From all boys and girls in this Shanghai, why did you choose Xiumin?”

“Well…” Tao shrugged, “I don’t know the reason either. But, as long as I know, he’s the one who has been caught my attention since the first time I met him.”

“Love at the first sight?” Luhan laughed, “I never knew it still exists.”

“Stop it. You made me embarrassed.” Tao covered his red face.

“You’re too shy to be a famous rapper, aish! Where’s your fierce look when you’re on stage??”

“This is the real me.” Tao pouted.

“What a child.” Luhan laughed then widened his eyes when he saw the familiar figure who was about to enter the coffee shop, “Oh, the guy I said earlier! He’s coming…”

“Hi.” The blonde man said to Luhan.

“Hi, can I help you?” Luhan wore his sales smile.

“Where’s the clumsy barista?” The blonde man chuckled.

“You mean Xiumin?” Luhan glanced to Tao and saw the younger frowning, “He’s not on his shift.”

“I see.” Kris nodded, “I need two cups of vanilla latte.”

“Two?” Luhan chuckled, “It’s a new thing. You usually buy one.”

The blonde man smiled, “I’m meeting someone.”

“I see.” Luhan nodded and prepared the order.

Meanwhile, Tao was observing the guy from head to toe beside him.

Kris was wearing an over-sized low neck black sweater without anything inside, showing a little bit of his board chest, along with a jeans and sneakers. A half of his blonde hair was tied behind his head messily, but it looked so match with his icy face. As accessories, a pair of huge square framed glasses, without lenses, was hanging on his pointed nose and a silver necklace was around his neck. Tao noticed that Kris wasn’t Chinese although he had the oriental face. And Tao noticed Kris could be a model if he hadn’t chosen photographer to be his profession.

Tall, handsome, model-like, blonde, calm, perfect?, Tao thought, Maybe Luhan was right. Ahh…does it mean I lose my chance with Xiumin…?

“Excuse me.” The low voice interrupted Tao’s thought, “Do I have something on my face?”

“Uh…” Tao shook his head, “No.”

“So…? Why did you keep looking at me?”

Tao looked at the handsome face in front of him before pulling out his hand, “I’m Tao.”

The blonde man blinked before finally holding Tao’s hand and shook it, “I’m Kris.”

“Sorry for looking at you like that. But, I noticed you’re a photographer by the camera hanging on your neck.”

“Uhmm…” Kris nodded, “Yeah…?”

“How long have you been to be photographer?”

Kris looked at Luhan for help but Luhan just shrugged, “Hmm, about five years.”

 “I bet you have a good skill.” Tao gave Kris a smile-that-not-reach-his-eyes.

“Eh?”

“So, I hope I’ll see you again. Luhan, I’ll be leaving. Send my greeting to Xiumin.”

“Eh?” Luhan widened his eyes, “O-okay, err, bye.”

Tao stepped out from the coffee shop and disappeared in a van.

“Who’s that guy?” Kris raised his eyebrows to Luhan.

“A famous rapper named Tao.” Luhan answered.

Kris frowned, “Why do I feel like he challenged me?”

Luhan shrugged.

“Hmm, see you, Luhan.” Kris bid goodbye and stepped out from the coffee with two vanilla lattes on his hands.

What a childish challenge. It’s like that Tao’s holding a one-sided match. Ah~ how I’m waiting this for more, Luhan chuckled on his mind.

“Why are you chuckling alone after those guys left?”

Luhan saw his side and found pouting Sehun.

“What, my Baby Sehun is jealous?”

 

 

“You took a long time.” Lay chuckled.

“Sorry.” Kris smiled and sat beside him, “I met someone named Tao, a famous rapper or something, do you know him?”

“Tao?” Lay nodded, “He’s pretty popular these days. He’s a professional rapper with fierce performance. Why?”

 “Am I only the one who doesn’t know anything about this guy?” Kris huffed, “I don’t even know he’s a celebrity.”

Lay chuckled, “It’s natural. You’re a foreigner, right?”

“Maybe you’re right.”

“What did you two talk about?” Lay asked.

“First, he was looking at me. So, I asked him whether there was something on my face or not. He said no. Then, suddenly he gave me a kind of challenge.” Kris frowned, “And then he left me,”

“Heee…what kind of challenge?”

“I don’t know. After introducing himself and asking about me about my profession, he left me and Luhan.”

“Luhan?” Lay raised his eyebrows, “And who’s that?”

“One of the baristas in the coffee shop.” Kris answered casually, sipping his vanilla latte.

Lay nodded understandingly while his heart was feeling loss.

What? Am I jealous?, Lay asked himself, Naah, I’m not. But, why the hell am I feeling like this?

“Hey.” Kris nudged Lay’s side, “What are you thinking?”

“Nothing.” Lay shook his head, “You’ve known so many people here, haven’t you?”

“Yeah, I’ve been here for three months though.” Kris answered, then he caught a faint gloom on Lay’s face, “What? Are you jealous?”

“Huh?!” Lay made a face, “Not even in your dream!”

But, he couldn’t hide the pink tints on his cheeks, so Lay turned his face away from Kris before the older could realize it.

Kris felt a bubbling hope inside his chest. But, he couldn’t guess whether Lay had the same feeling with him or not.

God, he’s so cute, blushing like that, Kris thought, observing the pale man who was grumbling something sounded like ‘Stupid Kris.’ and ‘I’m not jealous!’.

“Lay!” Kris called Lay in inappropriate volume to gain Lay’s attention, raising his camera and focusing his lens to Lay, “say cheese!”

“Kris!” Lay slapped the arm of laughing Kris after being hit by the sudden blitz, “I told you not to do that!”

“But, you’re cute when you’re blushing like that.” Kris caught Lay’s hand, smiling warmly to the blushing boy.

“Wha-what the hell are you talking about?!” Lay showed his fangs, trying to be fierce while his cheeks were blushing.

Kris just could laugh his head off.

He sure couldn’t resist the pale boy in front of him.

God, let Lay to be mine, please…