Chapter Ten: Flight(s).

Shanghai, I'm In Love

 

chapter ten:

flight(s).

 

 

Xiumin was biting his lower lip nervously. He couldn’t stop looking to the red clock hanging on the wide wall. The crowded around him was so insecure for him. He felt he was being watched although he knew it was just his feeling. He was wearing a white fedora and looking down to hide his face.

“Xiumin…” A man with black cap that covering his face and a mask on his half lower face called him, “Relax.”

“I can’t, Tao…” Xiumin whispered, eyes rolling everywhere wildly as he didn’t want anyone hear them.

Tao sighed and wrapped his arm around Xiumin’s smaller body, “I’m here with you. Don’t be scared.”

Xiumin finally relaxed in Tao’s embrace. He let out a shaky sigh. He didn’t expect their escape would be that worrying.

“Why Korea?” Xiumin asked.

Tao shrugged, “I don’t know. I let Chen pick the tickets for us. I don’t care about our destination as long as I’m with you and we can go away from this madness until it’s calmer.”

“Calmer? I don’t think it’ll take a short time.”

“I know.” Tao nodded, snuggling closer to Xiumin, “But I don’t think I’ll care about it either. I just want to be with you.”

Xiumin finally smiled, thumbing Tao’s hand lovingly, “I love you, Tao.”

“Me too.” Tao said smilingly then he groaned.

“Why?” Xiumin asked curiously.

Tao shook his head, sighing deeply, “I wish we were in a bit closed room so I could kiss you.”

“Stupid.” Xiumin chuckled.

They were chuckling together until someone interrupted their sweet moment.

“Excuse me.” A deep voice said, “Is this seat occupied? The others are occupied already.”

Xiumin, feeling familiar with the voice, looked up and widened his narrow eyes, “Oh! You!”

The familiar man raised his eyebrows in disbelief, “Xiumin? What are you doing here?”

Tao looked up and frowned, of course he knew that certain blonde man. He was the one who made him feel ridiculous after a childish exclamation he had said.

“Kris?” The brown locked man beside the blonde man asked, “You know them?”

“Of course, Lay. He’s Xiumin, the barista I told you. And this masked man,” Kris smirked, whispering, “must be Tao the famous rapper.”

Xiumin remembered Lay. He saw him at the coffee shop for the first time. And he remembered when Lay gave D.O his sign too. And he didn’t expect to see both Lay and Kris at the airport.

“By the way,” Kris broke the awkward silence, “this seat isn’t occupied, right?”

“Of course no. Please.” Xiumin nodded.

Kris pushed Lay down on the seat while he still stood beside Lay’s seat.

“Why don’t you sit?” Lay looked up to the tall blonde guy.

“It’s been sat by you, if you don’t know.” Kris chuckled.

“You sit here.” Lay was about to get up but Kris pushed him down again.

“No,” Kris shook his head, “You sit there. I’m okay standing.”

Lay rolled his eyes and huffed. He was getting used with Kris yield character. Somehow, he was enjoying it too. Because it meant he had soft spot in Kris’ heart. And he liked the idea.

Naah, Lay mentally slapped himself, Don’t be so high now, Lay. Or you’re going to fall hard if it’s not the reality.

On other hand, Xiumin was watching the other men in silence. And Tao noticed this. He nudged Xiumin’s side softly to gain the chubby guy’s attention. And when Xiumin looked at him, Tao gave him a small pout, indicating he didn’t enjoy the look Xiumin had given to Kris and Lay.

Xiumin raised his eyebrows in amusement to see the jealousy that clearly hanging on Tao’s eyes.

“Jealous?” Xiumin whispered.

Tao just let out a heavy breath, “No, I’m happy.”

“Okay, let me continue watching Kris then.” Xiumin said.

“I’m being sarcastic here!” Tao whined, making Xiumin laugh.

“Oh, God, Tao.” Xiumin said between his laughter, “You’re cute when you’re jealous.”

“Uhh…thanks…?” Tao said confusedly, making Xiumin laugh harder.

“Hee…” Kris smirked mischievously toward Tao, “So, you finally got him as your boyfriend?”

Tao could feel his face warmer, “Can you shut up?”

“What did I miss??” Xiumin asked, amused.

“This guy,” Kris pointed Tao with his finger, “once challenged me.”

“Huh?” Xiumin raised his eyebrows.

“He said he-hmmph…” Kris was cut by Tao’s hand slapped his mouth.

“Shut up!” Tao warned.

Tao’s hand was muffling Kris’ laughter. Tao glanced toward the confused Xiumin and stabbed Kris’ skull with his eyes, “Shut up! I won’t let you go until you nod your head.”

Kris nodded slightly, giving Tao his thumb up. Tao pulled back his hand and sat back beside Xiumin.

“Why can’t I know?” Xiumin pouted to Tao.

“Later…” Tao mumbled, face red in embarrassment.

Lay was giving Kris raised eyebrows as if he was saying ‘What the hell is going on?’.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Kris chuckled, poking Lay’s cheek.

Lay just shook his head, “Nothing.”

“I’ll tell you later.” Kris promised, “By the way, I forgot to introduce you to them.”

Lay smiled to Tao and Xiumin, “I’m Lay.”

“I know,” Xiumin nodded, “You’re the novelist who came to my university. You gave your sign to my best friend privately. I’m Xiumin.”

“Ah, I remembered that boy.” Lay nodded.

“I’m Tao.” Tao nodded slightly.

“The famous rapper.” Lay nodded, his smile fell down, “I watched the news. And I’m sorry for you. They shouldn’t have done that. Where are you going anyway?”

Tao held Xiumin’s hand lovingly, “Korea, Xiumin’s homeland.”

“I see.” Lay nodded, “What are you going to do there?”

Xiumin shrugged, “We don’t know. But firstly, we’ll visit my parents first.”

 “Will your parents be okay?” Kris asked, clearing his throat, “I mean…you are both men…”

Xiumin nodded, “They’ve known it since years ago that I’m into men.”

“How long will you be there?”

“Until the media is cool enough to be explained about this.” Tao sighed, “And I don’t know if it will take a long time or not.”

“Don’t worry.” Xiumin smiled to Tao, assuring the younger that everything would be better soon.

“Why can’t they accept about the fact?” Lay asked longingly, “Loving someone isn’t something wrong…”

“My profession, our gender and media are wrong.” Tao sighed, “I wish I wasn’t a public figure…”

Tao felt a tug on his jacket and looked down to see Xiumin pouting with sad face.

“Don’t talk like that…” Xiumin whispered, “It makes me feel guilty…”

“Don’t be.” Tao whispered back, snuggling his face on Xiumin’s shoulder, “I regret nothing because I’m with you.”

Xiumin hugged the taller man back, hiding his sob on Tao’s shoulder.

Kris sighed. Sometime he couldn’t understand why people minded other people business. Really, interfering something could kill one day. He turned his face to Lay and felt his chest tight to see the almost cry face Lay was wearing while looking at the hugging couple. He knelt down in front of Lay’s knees and put both of his on them. Lay, feeling a pair of large hands on his knees, looked down to see Kris staring at him intensely. He raised his eyebrows as a question.

“Don’t wear that face.” Kris said.

“Wha-”

“Few days remaining to my dad’s death anniversary. So, please?” Kris continued whisperingly, cutting Lay’s word midway.

Lay stared back. He understood what Kris meant. He didn’t want to be sad before the day. Because the date when the one you loved was gone had been sad enough to remember. Lay bit his lower lip and managed to smile to the blonde guy on his knees.

“I’m sorry.” Lay whispered.

Kris smiled and ruffled Lay’s locks before standing up to his feet again.

DING DONG! Attention, the flight to Korea with number xxxxxx will take off soon. For all passengers, please check in on our counters. Thank you. Once again-

Tao got up from the bench, pulling Xiumin with him. They turned their bodies to face both Kris and Lay, smiling.

“It’s time for us to go.” Tao said, “See you later, Lay, Kris.”

Kris pulled Tao into a friendly hug, whispering, “Be safe.”

“Thank you.” Tao replied, feeling the comfort pats from Kris on his back.

“Bye bye.” Xiumin waved his hands to both of Kris and Lay before following Tao, tangling their hands together.

“I hope they will be okay…” Lay whispered, face falling down at the same time with his waving hand.

“Lay, what did I tell you just now?” Kris frowned to see Lay’s face.

Lay smiled and pulled Kris to sit on the bench beside him, “I’m sorry again.”

“It’s okay.” Kris sighed, smilingly.

He picked out his camera from the bag pack and focused it to Lay.

“What are you doing?” Lay gasped, hurriedly covering his face.

“Lay, remove your hands.” Kris lowered his camera disappointedly.

“No way!” Lay shook his head.

“Lay…”

“No!!!”

Kris sighed and grabbed both of Lay’s hands, removing them aside forcefully, “Let me take one picture of you smiling to my camera. Just once.”

“You’ve had it.” Lay pouted, “The one when we took the picture together.”

“I mean you only.” Kris insisted, “Please.”

“But-”

“For me?” Kris asked.

“For you?”

Kris regretted the words.

For me?, Kris asked to himself, Good, what are you to him anyway? He won’t approve it.

“Okay. But, just once.” Lay sighed.

“Huh?” Kris asked back, still not in his right mind.

Lay blushed, “You said it was for you. So…okay, but, just once, right? Because I really can’t pose…”

Kris felt his chest bubbling up. He stared at Lay disbelievingly.

He said what?, Kris thought, He accepted it because it was for me?! Really?!

“What are you staring at?” Lay nervously hit Kris’ arm because he got nervous by Kris’ stare, “Quick! Or I’ll change my mind!”

“Ah, wait, wait!” Kris fumbled his camera nervously before steadying it in front of his face, focusing his lens to Lay, “In 3…2…”

CLICK!

And it was the first photo of only Lay with angelic smile to his lens.

Definitely be my another favorite!, Kris thought, staring at the photo and blushing Lay back to back, Oh…when are photos of Lay not my favorite?

 

 

“I’m really waiting to see your parents.” Tao said smilingly to Xiumin.

“But, before we arrive at home, we can’t do this.” Xiumin raised their hands, “Korea isn’t as open as China to gays.”

“I know.” Tao said, pecking Xiumin’s cheek, “I’ll be waiting until we get into your home.”

“Despite of what has happened in these few days, I’m really happy to go home again.” Xiumin smiled widely, “I really can’t wait to introduce you to my parents.”

A mischievous idea popped on Tao’s mind. He grinned meaning fully and asked Xiumin, “What will you say about me to your parents?”

“Hmm,” Xiumin tapped his chin, “Hi, Dad, hi, Mom, I introduce you to Tao, the famous rapper from China who has fierce look on the stage but really a kid in real life (“Hey! I’m not a kid!”) and he’s my…”

“My what?” Tao raised his eyebrows teasingly, enjoying Xiumin’s face which getting redder, “My what Xiumin?”

“My-m-my…”

“I can’t hear you. What again?”

“M-my bo-boy…”

“Boy-what…?”

“My boyfriend!” Xiumin exploded, muffling his voice on the sleeve, “God, Tao, you’re annoying!”

“Annoying?” Tao laughed, “How could I be annoying??”

“Oh, shut up! Let me sleep!” Xiumin pouted.

“Nooooo! You can’t leave me!”

“I’m not leaving you!” Xiumin rolled his eyes, “I’m just going to sleep! It’s not like I’m going to sleep in the toilet anyway!”

“But, you leave me alone with my own if you sleep!”

“Tao, please!” Xiumin sighed, “Aish, a kid!”

“I’m not!”

“You are!”

“I’m not!”

“You are!”

“I’m not!”

“Okay, you’re not! So lend me your shoulder to sleep, then!”

Tao sighed, defeated, and brought Xiumin’s head on his left shoulder, “How can I be the one who’s a kid while you’re the one who behaves like one?”

Xiumin just giggled.

“God…” Tao sighed, “I doubt you’re older than me.”

“Yah!” Xiumin hit Tao’s hand lightly.

Tao just laughed and brought Xiumin’s body as close as possible to him. And he hated that annoying arm seat between them. He leaned down to give Xiumin’s nose a light peck.

“Sleep tight, Xiumin.”

Xiumin snuggled closer, “I love you, Tao.”

“I love you too, Xiumin.”