Pursuit of happiness.

An empty book waiting to be filled.

 

Coupling : Suzy, Kai, Taemin, Minho/friendship.

Prompt: Suzy's Birthday Party.

Genre: Fluff.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Suzy is dreaming. She dreams of being able to sit at home for the whole day, kicking her feet on the sofa and pushing unhealthy sorts of food down . She dreams of having coffee with her friends on a normal Saturday morning and gossip about the latest idols. She also dreams about going on a trip with a boyfriend to the beach where they can intertwine their fingers and watch the sunset.

Beep.

With a single sound from her beeper, she’s not dreaming anymore. She scuttles to her feet, grabbing the stethoscope from the table and swinging it around her neck.

“Had a nice nap trainee Bae?” one of the senior doctors, Minho, greets her with a clip board, “Prepare for surgery in 10.”

Suzy honestly wished dreams came true.

//

Suzy knows nothing else from her life. It had always been the hospital. She would wake up and the first thing she would see was the blue sky white clouds ceiling of the hospital rest room. The last thing she would see before drifting off to dreams land was the same ceiling and everyday it would be rinse, lather, repeat.

“Suzy-ah?” Taemin, her co-worker yelled, “We need you in hall five.”

Throwing the coffee to the bin was like throwing her dreams in too. She whispers a sigh before bursting into the hall and once again she becomes a lifesaver.

//

The playgrounds are a good getaway from the hospital. And lunchtime is always a good time to eat. But she tightens her grip on the handles to refrain herself from the ice cream van passing by.

“You know…” the smiling male pushes her swing, “…I feel hungry.”

“Starving,” she agrees but frowns and continues with an imitating tone, “But we are doctors. We are role models. We should only eat healthy food and beverages.

The said male ruffles her hair and laughs, “Well let’s make an exception for today since it’s so special.”

Suzy kicks her feet up in the air while he pushes the swings further, “Why? What’s so special about today?”

The swings come to an abrupt halt and Kai swings her around to face him, “Are you joking me?”

//

The questions still lingers inside her brain when she applies the disinfectant onto the wound. She doesn’t even realize when the patient was screaming in pain.

“What day is it today?” she asks the patient who had tears b under his eyes.

“Saturday,” he replies angrily and pulls his arm away.

“Why is it special?”

“I dunno,” the snarky teenager hissed, “All I know is that my arm looks a lot worse than before.”

Suzy stifles half a smile as she inspects the wound, “Sorry,” she apologizes but the patient doesn’t seem amused.

//

The hospital is always busy. There was Kai rushing to help a patient and Taemin busying himself with the equipment. And then there was Minho, hands on his hips and the other pointing at her.

“Trainee Bae,” a voice booms from the other end of the corridor and Suzy knows she’s in for a long lecture.

Damn kid,” she hisses under her breath, “Yes sir.”

“I wanted to talk to you about something.” Suzy merely nods but mentally she was already picturing herself chocking the patient before, “Come into my office please.”

Once Suzy steps inside she begins to explain, “If this is about the kid earlier, I apologize. I’m just a little tired. I have been up since 3 am this morning and I’ve worked for 14 hours straight. So please forgive me. This won’t happen again.”

“Ummm…” Minho stutters, “I guess I’ll have to punish you.”

“What?” Suzy whines, “Oppa.”

“Yah! Don’t call me oppa. We’re working,” he hissed, “And you have to be punished or else the other juniors will think that I’m being biased.”

“You’re no fun…” Suzy scoffs and runs out, “…oppa.” She’s been wearing a frown for the whole morning and it looked like she was going to wear it the whole day.

//

Suzy looks back on her life and realizes she had spent over 5 years studying medicine and a few more years training to become a professional one. Now she was spending her time raking the brown leaves in the playground and cleaning the sandbox.

“God damnnit,” she whispers, “I’m meant to be a doctor.”

A voice behind her startles her and she finds herself eye to eye with Taemin, “You seem to be upset.”

She nods and he takes the rake, “Minho oppa made me clean the playground because of some stupid kid.”

“He did?” Taemin mockingly made a shocked expression, “Wow he’s must be Satan’s spawn.”

Suzy laughs. She hadn’t laughed that day and laughing made her feel better. But she still couldn’t figure out why today was so special.

“Oppa,” she asks, “Why is today special?”

“S-s-special?” Taemin stutters and Suzy eyes him, “Oppa, are you hiding something?”

“No!”

She closes the gap between then and soon her face is glaring straight into his guilty face, “Oppa!”

“Minho hyung wants you to clean the toilet in hall 5,” Taemin yells before pushing the rake towards her and dashing off.

Suzy throws it back onto the ground, “Toilet too? Yah!”

//

It’s almost dinner time when she finishes cleaning the toilet. She washes her hand and nods approvingly at the clean toilet before heading out for some food.

“Ow,” Suzy yells in pain when the room switches to pitch dark and she crashes her body into a counter, “Hey, who closed the lights?”

Suzy hugs herself closer when only a cold whiff of air flows into the room, “It’s not funny.”

She balls her hands into fists when she starts smelling food and heard whispers in the other end of the room, “Who is that?”

“One, two, three.”

//

Suzy doesn’t know what to expect. She stands still and her eyes are unmoving. There are three creepy smiles with a cake and candles. She doesn’t know what to do.

“Are you ok?” Kai asks and waves his hands in front of her, “Suzy-ah.”

“Oh my God,” Taemin tries to shake her, “She’s gone mental.”

“Why are you holding a cake?” Suzy finally grasps the situation and smiles weakly, “Why are you singing Happy Birthday?”

The other start to fall into fits of laughter and they usher her to blow out the candles before it ruins the cake. She complies but there is still a hint of confusion spread over her face.

“But it’s not my birthday.”

The three grown men in the room looked towards her and Minho nudges her slightly, “Of course it is. I checked the profiles today and it said that today was your birthday.”

“No, it’s not.”

“Yes it is.”

Suzy deadpans and laughs, “I would know if today is my birthday. My birthday is in a few months. And I’m sure of it.”

The two younger male looked towards their senior, eyes almost killer-like and body moving towards their prey.

“Hyung!” Kai whines, “Oh this is so embarrassing.”

“We even sneaked out of office to get the cake!” Taemin moans.

Suzy lunges towards them and pulls them in for a hug. Because she’s happy. And happiness doesn’t come often in a place where people die. She might have long hours and she might not be a doctor yet. But in between life saving and sleeping, Suzy discovers happiness in the form of three friends. 

“You know what?” Suzy giggles in between the three boys, “Today is a special day.”

__________

I'm so sorry T____T I know this took forever. Mianhae~ I had a few things in my hands for a couple of days and I had no muse to write. So this is for pop-bh who requested a birthday party featuring Taemin, Minho and Kai. Sorry if this wasn't what you had in mind. 

I won't be taking any requests for a while because there are many things I have to sort out. You could request but it would take a long time. 

And once again, sorry. 

Enjoy :3