Being a pen.

An empty book waiting to be filled.

 

 

Coupling: LuYoon.

Prompt: No one and nothing can ever be perfect. That’s why pencils have erasers.

Genre: A tiny teeny bit of fluff. Angst. Death. 

________

He keeps telling her that she’s pretty. But looking in the mirror, Yoona can’t bring herself to believe it. She sees just a common face. “Am I pretty?” she asks for the umpteenth time as she peers into the mirror and straightens her tousled hair.

Delicate soft hands wrapped itself around her petite body and leaned his body closer to hers, “Beautiful,” he whispers, just for her to hear it.

“But I’m not perfect,” she grumbles and frowns, “No one and nothing can ever be perfect. That’s why pencils have erasers.”

“Be a pen then.”

He was, to put it straightforwardly, her other half. And just by the way his body fitted right onto her, she knew she was in love. But looking in the mirror, she wondered, what a man such as Luhan found interesting in her. She was twenty three, jobless and ugly. He was twenty four, rich and handsome. Worlds wide apart, she often wondered what the older man saw in her.

“I’m going to have a shower,” he says and slowly tears himself away from her. The tap turns and fresh water follows. The spot in which he stood remains empty and Yoona wonders what she’ll do without him.

“Luhan, breakfast,” she calls upon him from the kitchen, wrapped in only a plain white tee, shorts and an apron.

“Smells delicious,” he muffles, pressing his head in between her neck and fiddling with her golden hair. Although she liked him this close, he was going to be late for his 10 o’clock show.

So, she pulls away and points to the table, “Sit.”

“So,” he begins to poke at the eggs and eyed her slowly, “Are you going out to find a job today?”

She chooses to look elsewhere and his face isn’t exactly happy, “I’ll try,” she whispers and stands to send her plate to the sink.

“You’re not eating?” he pulls her close and she fumbles onto his lap.

She bites her lip, still avoiding his gaze, and pulls herself up, “Luhan, I’m already fat. I don’t any need more calories.”

“You’ve barely any fat. It’s all skin and bones.”

She knows he meant it as compliment of some sort but she gets angry anyway. Luhan doesn’t understand; he doesn’t understand what it means to be ugly.

“I’ll see you later,” she pushes her cracked lips onto his peachy ones. He grabs her arm and kisses her back, “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

//

Walking around the busy town centre, she eyes the shop windows for any hire signs. After walking from one end to the other she finds a few and jots down the numbers. But she soon finds herself in front of a talent agency. She stops by there often, wondering, wishing, wanting. But the dark windows showed her reflection. And she sees a tall, lanky, pale girl with no curves, no aura, no smiles; she was no idol.

Then it reminds her of Luhan, the man who she shares her morning kiss, the man whom she allows to play with her hair. And she wonders what on earth made him fall in love with her.

//

It’s scary how infatuated she is with him. She waits for him to come home, counting the seconds and sitting in silence. Silence is always there when there Luhan is not. Luhan, Luhan, Luhan; the only thing she ever thinks about, as well as being a star but more of the former.

“I’m home,” he flings his arms open and waited for her in embrace him. He isn’t disappointed when Yoona literally flies to his side.

“You’re late,” she points out and playfully nudges him, “3 minutes and 23 seconds.”

“Yoona,” he shakes his head, “I told you to stop counting. What if one day I never came back? Would you count forever?”

“And ever and ever,” she adds on as she sees the crinkles at the side of his eyes forming a smile, “You have to come back.”

//

Luhan has a slight accent, of Chinese and English and Japanese and French. She only knows Korean and she fails to understand the gibberish he says through the phone. But she wants to be the perfect girl for him. That’s why she secretly sneaks out from her space on the bed beside him to the empty living room. The dark room lightens up at the small screen and she presses the play button.

“Je m’appelle Im Yoon Ah,” she follows the teacher’s voice from her head phones and smiles. She wonders how Luhan will react to this, “Je t’aime Luhan.”

//

“Do you like your job?” she asks one day out of the blue when she was resting her head on his lap. She fiddles with his fingers and he plays with her stomach.

“Yes, I very well do.”

“I’m so useless. I can’t find a suitable job.”

“Don’t worry,” he her hair and cuddles her closer, “You’ll find that job. The one that makes your heart beat, just like my heart beats for yours.”

//

Luhan’s heart isn’t beating. It stops, not for Yoona, not for anyone; Luhan’s heart stops for death. Ironically, it stops on the stage it beats for.

Yoona doesn’t know what to do. She doesn’t cry, she doesn’t smile. All she does is wait, forever and ever and ever, “4 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 9 seconds.”

“Yoona,” her older sister, Jin Ah, threw the box down, “Will you do something? Moping around isn’t going to bring him back. You’ve got to move on.”

She stands and tears unknowingly rolls down her cheeks. For the first time she cries. She pushes her sister until she’s out the door. Then she leans back and cries. She cries because there is silence. Silence is always there where Luhan is not.

//

There is indecision in her eyes as she steps into the brightly lit room. She doesn’t bat an eyelid when she sees the other soon-to-be competitors.

“Yes, how may I help you?” a cheerful voice at the reception counter greets her.

“May I have an audition form please?”

//

“Do you have what it takes to be the complete package? Can you be perfect?”

“No one and nothing can ever be perfect. That’s why pencils have erasers. But let me be a pen and show you what perfection is all about.”

//

It still scares her how much she is infatuated with him. She doesn’t bring herself to think; of Luhan or anything else. It’s practice, practice and more practice. She needed to be perfect.

But late at night, after all the girls are dead beat, she sneaks into the shared living room and switches on her player, “Je m’appelle Im Yoon Ah.” And although the room is silent and Luhan is not there, she feels him watching over her, “Je t’aime Luhan.”

 

__________________

Omg, I'm so sorry I had to kill Lulu. This is too angsty. Sorry sorry. This is not suitable for the Christmas season is it? Anyways Merry Christmas everyone. 

BTW, I changed my username from soorijeny to flyingberry. And I'm doing Chanyeol/Luna next.