The Accident

A Collection: With You

 

“… Girl group, Secret… car accident… 2 am… injured…”

 

 The news blared through the screen showing images of the overturned van in the ditch. It was all too familiar, too repetitive. The newscaster continued reporting, blabbering endlessly. She grabbed the remote and turned the television off.

 

She was alone in the dorm. Normally at this time, she’d be at the rehearsal room practicing their choreography or she would work on her vocals. It’d barely been a week since ‘Talk That’ was released and she was looking forward to promotions. As busy as she knew she’d be, the excitement on stage and seeing the loving support from fans was worth more than anything to overcome the tiredness.

 

But the car accident happened. And suddenly everything fell apart. One moment they were all feeling happy and joyous, the next moment it was all disastrous. Hyosung and Sunhwa were back at the hospital for a routine check-up. Zinger was still warded. And Jieun was alone.

 

The doorbell rang once. Twice. Three times. Finally realising there was someone at the door, she robotically got on her feet and opened the door. They stood there staring at each other for a few moments before she let go of the door handle and went back to where she sat previously. He took his shoes off and trailed behind her. He settled himself across her and sat down quietly.

 

She hugged her knees close to her. No words were exchanged just the steady breathing between the two in the expanse of the room.

 

 “It should’ve been me,” she whispered. Yongguk stared at her. “I should’ve gotten hurt.” Flashbacks of the broken window glass appeared before her, her sudden scream when she realised her body was out in the cold, upside down. “Why didn’t I suffer like the others?”

 

She didn’t cry much after the accident.

 

She didn’t cry when she was getting treated.

 

She didn’t cry when her mum called her. Instead she yelled at her concerned mother for calling her when there was nothing wrong with her.

 

She was the least injured out of all her members after all.

 

 “Hyosung unnie’s leg injury is back because of me and Hana…” Jieun paused as closed up. “… Hana’s hurt.” Yongguk wrapped his arms around and gently rocked her as she burst into tears; the hidden tears that she had kept in all this while. “Hana’s hurt and in so much pain. I was only left with a few bumps and scratches.”

 

She cried hard; all the agony and guilt she’d built up the past few days, she let it out. At first, she ignored his Twitter messages (since he was without a mobile phone) but figured he wouldn’t be at ease without knowing she was OK. She couldn’t risk hurting anyone else she cared about.

 

 “It’s not your fault.” He her hair softly, letting her heavy sobs weigh in on his chest. “It’s not your fault, nor is it your members fault.” She cried even more.

 

 “I should be suffering just as much.” Jieun lifted her head up and stared at him with her tear stained face. She jabbed a finger at her chest repeatedly. “Me. It should be me! ME!” He grabbed her hand and pulled it towards his chest where she continued her pounding.

 

 “If you got hurt just as much, the girls would be feeling the same way you are. Of course, you were the lucky one but just think how relieved they feel that you made it out alive,” he said comfortingly. The fist that was pounding him lay still on his body. “And as selfish as this sounds, I… I don’t know what I would do if I you were lying helplessly in the hospital.”

 

Her sobs had subsided now. She hiccupped as Yongguk made her blow her nose. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I’m sorry for always making you worry.” She started tearing again.

 

 “No, don’t, Jieun, don’t say that,” he soothed, trying to hide the pain in his voice. She stared at the floor as her mind started clearing up. All that crying had finally rid some of the load she was too scared to share with her members. His hands softly wiped at her cheeks and he gave her a sad smile. “Don’t feel sorry.”

 

He gently kissed her forehead. She closed her eyes and felt the calmness as his lips lingered a while longer. She brought her body closer to his, her head resting on his chest. She listened to the soothing sound of his heartbeat, the steady rise and fall of his breathing.

 

 “Thank you.” Jieun felt him place another kiss by her temple. He murmured against her hair and she barely caught the words “… it's going to be alright.”

 

The security and the comfort that was gone were now slowly returning. And she knew that if she ever lost it again all she had to do was turn to him and it’d be there waiting for her.

 

 Like he always did.


 

Surprise! OK, I know it was supposed to be a oneshot thing but I couldn't resist and instead of writing up another fic, I decided to just continue from here. I just love this OTP so much. Sobs. So glad Zinger's OK. So ready for B.A.P's comeback (and I have to add SHINee in too. My Shawol Baby heart). YES! :D 

P.S. Should I leave this open and let it continue for a series of oneshots? I might just take the 'Completed' sign off.