c. World Of Our Own

A Collection: With You

3/4.

 

4 months

 

Their first argument. They had had a couple of disagreements before but this one was pretty serious. The voicemail woman droned on and Yongguk gave up for the fifth time that evening.

She wasn’t picking up his calls. It was now 11 pm. Five hours since they last spoke to each other. The more time passed, the sorrier he felt. He lay flat out on the couch and dialled her number again. There was no voicemail, but there was no ringing tone either.

 

 “You said you’d come with me to the concert! You promised!”

 “I know I did, but I can’t back out of this. The crew already made official arrangements with the fundraiser organisers and you know I can’t make up an excuse to not attend.”

 “I’m an excuse? What happened to me being your girlfriend, Yongguk? You’re being such a jerk right now.”

 “I’ve been an active part of the children’s fundraising committee for over two years. It’s my responsibility. You know this is important to me.”

 “Aren’t I important to you too?”

 “You are, Jieun, you’re extremely important to me but I really can’t go to the concert. I need to be at the event in a half hour to rehearse with the crew.”

 “If you leave right now, you’re going to lose something important, Yongguk. One step is all it takes.”

 “Jieun, please, be reasonable. If I could be at two places at once, I’d be with you in a heartbeat, but I can’t.”

 “You can’t or you don’t want to? I know this concert isn’t exactly your thing.”

 “Whether it’s my thing or not, I’d still want to go with you.”

 “Well, why can’t you?”

 “Jieun! Stop it! Look, I have to go now, OK. I’ll call you when I’m done.”

 

He felt restless and uneasy. He had no idea where she was after he left her at the café earlier. He would’ve called Zinger but he didn’t want to drag her into this. He dialled her number again and it was ringing. A shrill familiar sound was heard and he stopped breathing for a second to catch it. It was still ringing. He got off the couch and followed it, leading him to his front door.

There she was standing, phone in one hand, the other down by her side, clenched into a fist. He immediately hugged her, breathing a sigh of relief. She grabbed at his shirt and pulled him closer. He could feel a tremble and realised Jieun was sobbing quietly.

 

 “I’m sorry.”

He shook his head and tightened his arms around her. “No, you shouldn’t be.”

 “I didn’t want to go home without apologising-“

 “Forget it. Let's just forget it.”

 


 

10 months

 

He slammed his door shut and threw his bag down. He opened up the fridge and reached for a can of beer. Settling himself down on the couch, he switched the television and a random show played. His eyes were focused on the television but his mind was elsewhere. Another fight and before it could blow up even more, he stormed off.

 

 “I told you I don’t like it when he’s around.”

 “He’s my co-worker for God’s sake! I can’t tell him to go away just because you don’t like him. Grow up and deal with it.”

 “I would except for the fact that he’s confessed his feelings for you on more than one occasion.”

 “He was drunk.”

 “And drunken people are honest, ninety percent of the time.”

 “Stop being so petty, Yongguk. You know quite well that I don’t take Woohyun’s drunken words to heart.”

 “It may not get to you, but it does annoy me.”

 “Keep it down. Woohyun’s sat at the end of the table.”

 “And there you go, caring for him.”

 “Yes, I care for him, Yongguk. I care for him as a fellow colleague. He’s been through a lot this past year and the least I can do is to be there for him.”

 “Why can’t he go and talk to your other female friends? There’s Sunhwa, Hyosung and who else? Gyuri, Seungyeon!”

 “This jealous streak of yours needs to stop!”

 “I am your boyfriend, Jieun! I have every right to be jealous!”

 “I am not having this argument with you. It’s stupid.”

 “Stupid? I’ll tell you what’s stupid; you, right now. You clearly like that he’s infatuated with you. Why don’t you go with him and leave me out of it.”

 

He regretted saying it now. He wished he hadn’t. But it came out faster than the time his mind could process. And he knew he had done the wrong when her eyes welled with tears and she excused herself to the toilet before everyone else could see. He decided to leave but not before Sunhwa stopped him and asked him what happened. He just shook his head and told her it was nothing.

But it wasn’t nothing. He knew he had taken it too far this time. He grabbed his keys and drove to her place. Fortunately the roads were clear and he got there in record time. He stayed in the car for a good five minutes before gaining the courage to ring her doorbell. His heart fell at the sight of her red and swollen eyes.

 

 “I’m sorry.”

She sniffled and bit down her quivering lip. “Promise me you won’t say those words again. Promise me.”

 “I promise you, with all that I am.”

 “Trust me, Yongguk. That’s all I ask for.”

 


 

24 months

 

The candles flickered, the dinner half eaten, the wine bottle half empty. He stayed seated staring into blankness. His apartment suddenly felt as empty and cold as his heart. He poured the remainder of the wine into his glass and downed it all in one shot. He took off his shirt and threw it down on to the floor and proceeded to search through his cabinet, pouring himself some vodka. That too, he finished in one shot.

 

 “I saw you leaving the club with her.”

 “Damn it, Jieun. I told you there’s nothing going on between us. Her husband is my partner, we’re business friends.”

 “Well, it certainly wasn’t her husband that she was clinging to.”

 “You believe me don’t you? We’ve been through this time and time and you’re so quick to accuse me.”

 “When you didn’t like Woohyun, I made the effort to keep my distance from him. I did that for us, Yongguk.”

 “This is different. She and I have no feelings or any sort of romantic affection for one another. Also, she’s married.”

 “And that’s why the word 'affair' exists.”

 “I’m tired of this. Three months and you still bring this topic up. Can’t we just have a quiet dinner for once? Can’t we go a day without bringing her into the conversation?”

 “She enters your office without even asking; whereas I check with your secretary, she can access your laptop in case of an emergency; you didn’t even share the password with me.”

 “Enough, Jieun. Let’s talk about something else, please. How was the wedding?”

 “The wedding was great. But of course, you’d forget because you asked me this two weeks ago after I attended it.”

 “I’ve been busy and overtired, things slip my mind. What about the yoga class you just joined?”

 “It’s pilates and I’ve been doing it since two months ago.”

 “What is it, Jieun? I’m trying to enjoy dinner but you don’t seem to be cooperating.”

 “Cooperating? You’ve been so distant and I feel like I don’t know you anymore.”

 “Is it your time of the month again? Is it that-”

 “No, I can’t take it, Yongguk, I simply can’t.”

 “Jieun, where are you going? Sit back down and just eat please.”

 “I’m done. Done.”

 “What, done with what? Jieun, come on, fine, let’s talk. Jieun! Jieun!”

 

He picked up the small box that he found on the dresser. It contained a silver bracelet, with tiny detailing, and on the inside there was something written.

Happy Anniversary, Love Jieunnie xoxo.

He ran his pinky upon the engraving and closed his eyes. He suddenly felt something amiss. He ran to the closet to find her red suitcase missing. It usually was since she travelled occasionally for work. But so were half her clothes. He went to the bathroom and her things were gone. He searched through her drawers and it seemed almost empty.

He walked out of the bedroom and crashed on to the floor, bracelet still clasped in his hand. His eyes settled on a photo frame of the two of them. It was taken on their anniversary; exactly a year ago today.

 

 “I’m sorry.”

He whispered the words but there was no reply.  

 “I’m sorry I forgot. I'm sorry for everything.”

Again, there was no reply. Not like before.

 “Come back, please.”

The candles were no longer lit. He clutched the bracelet and photo to his chest, crying into the darkness.

 


 

Part 3/4! Next chapter is the last part~! By the way, anyone enjoying Jieun's acting on that show? She's doing pretty good and looking so pretty! Her and G.O look quite cute too :p