Paper Hearts: Two

A Collection: With You

 

Please do NOT ignore the cautionary message. CAUTION is printed for a reason!

He grinned and picked up the disposable paper cup that had the familiar messy ‘Morning!’ scribbled in red on the plastic top.

 “Yongguk, meeting in Room Three in five. Quick!”

 

You know I hate green tea.

He took a sip anyway, his face scrunching in distaste, the heat burning his tongue. Two months since Jieun had introduced this into his daily routine and he still couldn’t acquire the taste.

 

And you know how weak I get in front of cereal bars.

The paper heart was placed right on top of a cranberry cereal bar.

 

What can I say? I’m a romantic.

P.S. Where’s my treat?

Office PDA is illegal.

I was actually asking for a real treat. You used to give me chocolate bars.

Secret office PDA is legal. Copy room at 2:15?

 

 “Jieun, these need to be dealt with by 3, latest by 3:30,” informed Sunhwa. “And are we still on for a little retail therapy after work? I so need to get some new red heels.”

 “Sure,” replied Jieun as she busily scribbled on to the paper heart. Her handwriting was getting worse as the seconds ticked. Sunhwa cleared . “3 pm, I got it.”

 “We need to head down to the design room now. I sent an email to everyone regarding the time change for 12.” Hand resting on her hip, Sunhwa raised an eyebrow at Jieun.

 “Oh, of course! It slipped my mind. Right, I’ll be with you in two minutes max.”

 

You sneaky monkey. Make it 1:45. I have a feeling I’m going to be working overtime today.

Off to meeting now. Mission Secret Office PDA aborted.

 


 

 “Whoa, rough night, Jieun?” Himchan peered at her as she consciously touched her collar. Her hand struck out in front of him and he dodged it just in time. “I’ve got some Panadol in my drawer.”

 “One, please.” Her head throbbed when someone shut an office door, the sound bouncing off walls and straight to her ears. She winced. “Make that two.”

 

I spent an extra twenty minutes trying to cover up your disobedient mouth. And how much alcohol was in the chocolates?

 

You’re a lightweight. Don’t blame the headache on me. And it wasn’t the chocolate but the white wine.

P.S. I’ll choose a more discreet place to mark next time.

His teeth was caught between his lips as he smirked. Yongguk looked over to her side and winked as she glared back.

 

I’m not kidding, I think this head pain has upgraded itself to migraine.

P.S. No more treats. 

 

I’m serious, Jieun. Go home. Throwing up at lunch is not making me feel any better.

 

Why haven’t you written back? Where did you go?

 

Seriously, Song Jieun

Oh, I see you. You still look cute.

 

I look like death. Don’t try and make me feel better when nothing can make me feel better right now.

 

You’re so thoughtful :) *smooches*

Jieun smiled to herself as she unwrapped the apple cinnamon cereal bar Yongguk dropped on her desk. She would’ve picked up her phone and dialled for him but their manager was on a serious stakeout for work productivity.

Thank God for paper hearts. 

 

Are you feeling better? :(

Lots. Thank you <3

P.S. I borrowed another two pills from Himchan. Distract him please so I can put them back.

You ingested the Panadol, how is that borrowing?

P.S. I made him run out for coffee.

P.P.S. That’s also an invitation.

Because technically I'm returning them. I took two pills already. Have I overdosed?

P.S. You haven't had your fill of green tea this week.

P.P.S. Can't. I'm being monitored. Hong is on the loose.

Possibly? Take one every 4-6 hours as I remember.

P.S. Green tea called for a break.

P.P.S. Hong has left the wing.

 

Jieun hovered over Himchan’s desk, quickly glancing around before placing the packet of pills in his drawer. She felt horrible but her head was bursting halfway through the day and he was nowhere to be found so she couldn’t ask his permission. Feeling impolite, she wrote a small note of apology for her rude gesture.

 “Hey,” his voice softly called for her. Yongguk gently caressed her arm. “You OK?” His dark eyes searched hers worryingly, staring down at her. She shivered slightly under his gaze and touch.

 “Better. I think it’s the flu bug that’s flying around. I don’t know if I can make it to tonight’s dinner,” she said softly. Yongguk’s brother, Yongnam, planned a small get-together with his siblings plus their significant others. It wasn’t her first time meeting him but it was for his sister, Natasha.

 “That’s not the problem right now, Jieun. You can always meet them another time.”

 “But your sister–”

 “Can wait. Talk to Manager Hong and ask to take off early.” Yongguk wrapped a warm hand around her thin wrists, dragging her slightly. She pulled away and he stopped to stare back at her until Jieun covertly tangled her fingers with his, her thumb ghostly grazing over his. He grinned toothily. “I know.”

 

You’re amazing, Bang Yongguk.

I like you :)

I kinda like you too. Call me later :) 

I take it back.

What?

P.S. Go. Home.

I kinda like you too, Yongguk.

P.S. I'm going. 

Ah. Song Jieun, I really like you :)

P.S. That was twenty minutes ago. I can still see your head from here.

I still only like you.

P.S. I left this on my way out. 

 


 

“What–”

Jieun was sat on the couch chatting animatedly with his sister and boyfriend. Her long, chocolate locks bounced side to side as she giggled endlessly.

“Yo, she wanted to surprise you so I picked her up,” explained Yongnam when Yongguk asked just how Jieun appeared at his apartment.

Yongguk narrowed his eyes. Jieun saw the trouble in his gaze and she excused herself to greet him. She smiled but he couldn’t return the same emotion.

 “You’re supposed to be resting,” he said quietly. He was annoyed. Possibly angry.

 “I slept as soon as I got home. Mum’s herbal teas are magic by the way.” Jieun smiled brightly, hoping her bubbliness would win him over. Yongguk didn’t answer as his sister called him and he wordlessly walked over to her.

 

Jieun’s mood did not get better over dinner. Natasha was an endearing sister and her constant teasing over the twins just showed how much she loved them. That brought a smile to Jieun.

But she was still upset over Yongguk’s behaviour earlier.

 “You’re such a mood killer, bro.” Natasha spoke honestly to her brother. Jieun was in a conversation with Yongnam’s girlfriend but her eyes were distracted as she flickered her eyes back and forth towards Yongguk. “Pack your and be a good boyfriend.” She stubbed her cigarette out before leaving the balcony.

 

 “Hi.”

Jieun lifted her eyes and turned away. Yongguk sighed and ran a hand through his hair. This was proving to be more difficult than he thought. “Dinner was good, huh?”

 “Hmm,” she replied reluctantly. She was determined to not give in easily. She was hurt. He circled his arms around her waist, pulling her into his chest and she tensed reflexively causing his heart to sink.

 “I was just worried for you, Jieun,” Yongguk whispered against her temple. “You were sick earlier today.”

 “And you don’t think I care? I came because I recovered fast.” Her body was rigid and the soft of his fingers on her collarbone was not helping her moodiness. “If I was really sick I wouldn’t have come.”

 “I know.”

 “I’m a grown woman, Yongguk. I can take care of myself. I’m not stupid.” Yongguk tightened his arms but she made no change in her body language. “I was really looking forward to this dinner and–”

He promptly twisted her around and captured her lips with his. Foreheads pressed against each other, he breathed, “I know, Jieun.” His palms covered her small ones as he brought their locked hands between their breathless bodies.

 “Good. Keep that in mind,” pouted Jieun as she reached up to brush away his bangs. She could never stay angry at him for long. “You might get that flu bug soon.”

Yongguk grinned before kissing her again. 

***

As stated in my other fic, I'll be keeping the author's note short.

Prayers and consolations to those who have family and friends on board the Malaysian Airlines that has gone missing. It's actually so frightening :( and also prayers and blessings to every human being out there faced with difficulties. I can't thank God enough for all the fortunate things He has given me that I always take for granted. Lots of love, everyone xxx