Request: Finals

Genesis (Volume 01)

School is slowly ending.

Time continues ticking.

However, there's one last obstacle...

...with a few more spectacles.

Commissioner ß Duixing

...xXx...

Friends or Pests?
김진주 ♡ 김선규

Fingers flew across the keyboard, purpose with every movement. She stuck her tongue out slightly in concentration, absorbed into her paper. 

...however, the visible effects of pollution on the environment may also prove to be-

The computer screen turned black. She gaped, mouth dropping open.

"Uh I didn't mean to?" a familiar voice half-apologized, catching her attention. 

"Sunggyu you idiot! That was my final paper!" Jinju screeched, smacking the boy over the head. "I was almost finished too!"

"I said I didn't mean to," Sunggyu snapped, his small eyes narrowing further in on the girl. "Besides, your paper isn't lost."

"You just turned off the computer!" Jinju pointed out, huffing. 

"I tripped over the power cord," Sunggyu justified. "It just got unplugged. If you plug it back in again, it should resume...right?"

Jinju stared at the boy. 

"Sunggyu, did I ever tell you that you are an idiot?" she questioned, raising an eyebrow. "What technology have you been using all these years?"

"My laptop," Sunggyu answered, gesturing to his laptop bag. "But unlike you, I save often and make sure it's charged before taking it out."

Jinju sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Spoiled idiot," she insulted, smacking him on the shoulder. She leaned down, plugging the machine in once more. "If I wasn't your friend, I'd kick your to the moon and back."

"I didn't mean to," Sunggyu excused once more. He rubbed his sore shoulder. "And shouldn't you call me Oppa?"

Jinju snorted.

"Yeah right," Jinju snapped, turning back to the brightening screen. She ignored the male once more, trying her best to recover what she had lost. Her fingers flew across the keyboard, reestablishing her lost paper word by word. 

...prove to be beneficial as a whole by alerting the public to the deterimental effects and forcing-

The computer screen went black once more. 

"Sunggyu!" Jinju roared, swiveling around.

"Uhh I'm not Sunggyu; I'm Soojung and I promise I didn't mean to do that," a female apologized, frowning. "Is there any way I can make it up to you?" 

"Oh it's ok. It's mostly my fault. I've just been having a bad day," Jinju excused, waving off the female. 

"Good thing I saved this time," she muttered to herself, having feared for Sunggyu's accident to occur once more. "Still..."

She trailed off, turning a bit pink once she realized just how much Sunggyu was on her mind.

Rivalry at its Finest
김수정 
♡ 이호원 

"You should give up now while you still can," he advised, sweat beading down his neck as he returned her attack. 

"You should give up," she threw back mockingly. She smirked before jumping and spiking the ball into the court just out of his reach. "Told you."

"Soojung's point," the referee called, putting up a hand. "Let's take a 10 minute break, 'k?"

Both players acknowledged her request and walked to their respective benches off-court, drying off their sweat and rehydrating their bodies. 

"Not bad as always," he complimented as he wiped the sweat off his face with a cheeky grin. "Although I have to point out that your swing last time was stronger. Growing tired Ice Queen?"

"In your dreams Flower Boy," she threw back, rolling her eyes. She took a swig of water, silently enjoying the refreshing cold that burned . "And quit calling me that."

"Ice Queen?" he guessed innocently. He drank his own water, smiling still. "Well I can't call you Ice Princess anymore. We're older and so you were promoted. Besides, there's that other girl called Ice Princess."

"I hate your guts," she stated with a scowl, throwing a towel at the boy. "Ready to lose?"

"Aw don't say that Soojung," he teased, chuckling. He folded up her towel, putting it aside. "I'll beat you here then on the test too."

"In your dreams Howon," she threw back, keeping up the light, slightly hostile banter. She recapped her water bottle and stretched, loosening her tightened muscles. 

"It's Hoya," he corrected as he always did. He began stretching as well, politely keeping his eyes off of her figure. "Sure you don't need any last minute studying? The finals are tomorrow."

"Sure you don't need last minute studying?" she threw back, snorting. "You and I both never cram on the last day and you know it."

"True true," he acquiesced, smiling. "A good workout always helps the blood in the brain flow better than last minute cramming, right?" 

"Exactly; so don't bother asking me then," she reasoned, turning back to the court. "Hey uh Miyoung, right?"

The referee turned to her, pulling away from her phone for a moment. 

"Let's continue the game a little early," Soojung requested, tossing her towel back on the bench. The referee held up a thumbs-up in confirmation before hanging up.

"Eager to lose Ice Queen?" Hoya teased, grabbing the volleyball. 

"Eager to crush your overinflated ego Flower Boy," she countered, smirking. There were few who tried and succeeded in keeping up with her pace - in intelligence and sports. He was a decent guy...though his ego needed a lot of deflating.

"Alright, end of the break! Hoya's serve!" the referee shouted and the game continued.

A Girl's Crush:
박미영
♡ 이성열

She walked down the halls quickly, a grin spreading across her face despite the fact that she was running a bit late; at least she was going to meet up with him. She muttered an apology to the girl she bumped into without looking - was that Ahri? and why was Sungjong leading her blindfolded? - and continued racing down the halls. As expected, she dodged a ruler flying her way when she entered the room. 

"You're late," he scolded, frowning.

"I got held back for a minute," she excused, grinning sheepishly. "Something about a missing assignment."

"At least you're here now," he decided, smiling. "So where should we start?"

"Depends on if you're more desperate for foreign language help or I'm more desperate for math help," she pointed out. "Which do you think Sungyeol?"

"I don't know," he stated with a sigh. 

"To be honest, my math grade is so low that I don't know if even a perfect score on the final could bring it up," she admitted. "Maybe I'm not even one whole person. Maybe I'm just that repeating decimal 0.999... and so on. My brain just doesn't absorb any math."

"Now you're just being ridiculous," Sungyeol scolded, rolling his eyes. "Come on Miyoung. How could you not be one whole person? I'm sure that you can bring your grade up."

"No, I'm only 0.999... forever; I'll never reach 1 whole person. I'll never fully get math," Miyoung complained, sighing. 

"You do know that 0.999... is equal to one, right?" he pointed out, raising an eyebrow.

"Don't lie," Miyoung grumbled with a sigh. 

"I'm not lying. Here look," he declared, writing it down on the paper. 0.999... = x

"So if we multiply both sides by 10 like so," he instructed, showing her step-by-step. 9.999... = 10x

"Then subtract an x," he continued. 9 = 9x

"And solve for x," he explained. 1 = x

"See?" he bragged, smiling smugly at her surprised expression. 

Slowly she smiled back, reminded of why she had fallen for him in the first palce and unknowingly causing his heart to skip a beat for her as well. 

A Boy's Crush:
김아리
♡ 이성종

"Seriously Sungjong? This isn't a surprise at all," she pointed out. She noted the look on his face before chuckling. "But hey, I've been wanting to come back to the dance studio. Too bad finals are tomorrow." 

"Well let's just dance it all out then Ahri-Noona," he urged, beaming. "It's because finals are tomorrow that we should relax today."

"You do have a point there," she agreed, smiling. She stretched her arms above her head, breathing in the oddly comforting scent of sweat and work that she was familiar with. "Alright then. Let's dance!"

It took only a minute before the music played and before she could even register the melody, her body moved to the beat, moving in sync with the male beside her. Her eyes watched her own movements in the mirror, straying to the reflection of the boy beside her. He had grown more mature over the years but man, his waves were still better than hers. 

The song was over before she knew it and she grinned, beaming and radiating despite the thin sheen of sweat built up on her body. 

"Well," she breathed, staring up at the white ceiling as she lay on the ground. Her head turned to the male sitting beside her. "Since we've started our usual routine, want to go splurge on some smoothies?"

"Like always? Definitely," he agreed, smiling. He held out a hand for her and she took it, smiling. He helped pull her up and the two walked to the smoothie shop around the corner. He held the door open, letting a couple that was exiting leave first.

"You should do things like this," the girl muttered to her boyfriend.

"If that's what you want Dari," he chirped, oblivious to the girl's roll of her eyes. Ahri and Sungjong walked inside, ordering their usual drinks and taking a seat at a table near the window. 

"This is the life," Ahri cheered, pushing her flushed face against the cool table top. "I missed coming here."

"We should come more often after finals then," Sungjong decided, glancing out the window. 

"Sounds good to me," she agreed, smiling. 

"It's a date then," he teased, reflecting her grin back at her. She raised an eyebrow at his odd choice of words but ignored it. 

"As long as you pay," she added jokingly, chuckling to herself. 

"Of course," he stated, gazing at her seriously for a moment. "The boyfriend usually pays, right?"

His gaze had blood rise to her cheeks, turning a darker pink just as the server brought their smoothies. She sipped hers, glancing up at him but he was back to normal - a bit feminine but happy-go-lucky and confident all the same. Now where in the world had that look come from?

Problems with Lovers:
이달이
♡ 남우현

Fingers played with her hair insistently, distracting her slightly from the text in her hands.

"Stop," she ordered succinctly, entangling his fingers with her own. 

"Pay some attention to me," he pouted, her other arm coming to wrap around her. 

"I'm serious Woohyun," she scolded, frowning. "I really have to study for this exam." 

"You'll do fine," he encouraged, rolling his eyes. His lips pressed against the back of her hand. "So pay some attention to me."

"Woohyun," she called in warning. "Stop."

"Why Dari? I'm being good," he whined, hugging her from behind. Her breath caught but she yelped when something wet brushed against her shoulder.

"Woohyun, that's disgusting!" she declared, breaking out of his grip and smacking his knee. "I swear that if you me again I'm kicking you out."

"I'm your boyfriend," Woohyun complained. "Shouldn't I be more important than that book in your hands?"

She sighed before turning around and smacking his face with her book. 

"You're important to me and all but right now I don't have time for you to play around," she growled, a fire burning in her eyes. "I've been struggling with this class from day one and finally when I think I have it, my teacher decides that it's not enough and makes it even harder. So I try and try and try and now it's nearly the end of the year but I'm barely maintaining my grade so I swear that if I don't pass then I'm going to put you through a world of pain so shut up will you?"

Woohyun chuckled, making her flustered.

"Why are you laughing?" she questioned, feeling a bit embarrassed by her short rant and his reaction. 

"Nothing," he stated, smiling. "I just thought you were really cute."

She turned a darker red.

Then she smacked him in the face with her book once more.

Neighbors and Believers:
최승연
♡ 장동우

The door slammed open, shocking its lone occupant and almost - but not quite - catching him off-guard. The intruder strode across his room purposefully before landing face down on his bed and groaning.

"I hate finals," she muttered, turning to him. She glared at the book in his hands. "And why are you studying?" 

"This is the only class I'm worried about," he answered shortly, eyes burning into the text. She waited. 1. 2. 3-

"Argh I can't do this!" he declared, throwing the book on the table. "I don't know how you do it sometimes."

"I make a promise with myself," she stated simply. " 'If I pass, I'll splurge a little on something but if I fail, my siblings will rip my guts out and make pie.' or something along those lines." 

He laughed.

"Shut up Dongwoo. It works," she snapped, rolling her eyes at his ridiculous laugh. She grabbed his pillow and hugged it to her chest, leaning on her elbows. 

"Alright Seungyeon. Let's see if your ideal works," he teased, winking. "If I'm in the top 50 of the school, want to go watch a movie with me then?"

"And if you fail?" Seungyeon questioned, raising an eyebrow. 

"Hmm...my mom'll probably ask Sooyeon-Noona to tutor me over the summer," he admitted, sighing. "Then there goes my summer! Goodbye youth!"

"Don't be a drama queen," she snorted, throwing his pillow at his head. She sat up, staring at him. "So a movie then?"

"If I get in," Dongwoo confirmed, beaming. "What do you want to see?"

"Don't get ahead of yourself idiot," she stopped, sounding more fond than annoyed. "Wait until the results come out first."

"Seungyeon!" a voice - her sister's - called from outside. "It's dinner! Minjung's eating over, remember?"

"Yeah!" Seungyeon shouted back, standing. "See you later Dongwoo. Good luck man."

"Later Seungyeon," he threw back, turning back to his books as a thought rolled around in his mind: If he succeeded, he would confess. If he succeeded, he would confess. If he succeeded, he would confess...

A New...Enemy?
장민정 
♡ 김명수

"Thanks for having me over Sooyeon," she muttered, eyes shifting around the home awkwardly. 

"Make yourself at home Minjung," her friend stated calmly, walking around in the kitchen. "And don't worry. No one in this family bites...unless you provoke them."

Minjung gave her an awkward smile before taking a seat on the couch, looking around. The house itself wasn't that big but it was...warm and well-cared for - two traits that her house didn't necessaily have. 

"You home?" a voice - a male voice - questioned as foots echoed through the hallway and into the living room. Eyes hardened upon meeting hers. "Who in the world are you?"

"Myungsoo be polite," Sooyeon's sharp voice came from the kitchen. "She's my guest." 

"Fine," the boy threw back before looking down at Minjung once more. "So...I'm Myungsoo. You?"

"Minjung," she answered back, raising an eyebrow. "You don't look like Sooyeon all that much. It's hard to believe you guys are siblings."

"So?" he threw back, eyes narrowing. "You don't look like an honors student either. It's hard to believe you girls are friends."

"Well aren't you clever," she hissed, standing to her full height - her eyes level with his. "I guess you rely on appearances a lot."

"Better than relying on my nonexistent brain," he threw back, glaring. 

"Ok. Break it up," Sooyeon broke in, frowning. "What's gotten into you two? It's time to eat and whoever insults first leaves."

Sooyeon, Minjung, Myungsoo, and another female - one Minjung faintly recognized as Sooyeon's younger sister - sat around the table, eating in silence. 

"Well someone must have died," the youngest at the table muttered, rolling her eyes. She stood with her empty plate. "I'll be in my room studying."

"I hope this fight doesn't become permanent," Sooyeon voiced aloud, glancing between her friend and her brother. "Don't forget that the finals are tomorrow you two."

"Don't worry about me," Myungsoo stated. "I'll at least do better than her."

He threw a glance at the female across the table.

"Come on Sooyeon," she growled. "Let's study. I'm going to kick your a** on the test. Just you wait."

"Try it if you can," he threw back, smirking. 

"Don't cry when it happens," she retorted before leaving the room, Sooyeon following. Sooyeon paused by the doorway and stared at Myungsoo who drank his water to distract himself from her accusing gaze.

"Teasing the girl you think is cute again?"

Myungsoo spit out his water, turning red.

"Excuse me?!"

Sooyeon chuckled before leaving. Those siblings of hers. 

School Placement Results:

51st: Zhang Minjung

52nd: Kim Myungsoo

"Going to cry now?" she teased, smirking. He chuckled. 

"I'll just beat you next time. Don't cheat and get Sooyeon-Noona to help you then," he threw back with a matching expression.

"It's called using your resources. Not my fault you didn't take advantage of it," she argued, snorting.

The two glared daggers at each other.

45th: Choi Seungyeon

49th: Jang Dongwoo

"Yes!" he cheered, punching a fist into the air. He turned to his neighbor. "So you want to go watch that new Disney movie that's coming out?"

"I don't like Disney too often," she started, watching his expression fall. "But why not?"

He visibly brightened and she bit back a smile.

He never changed.

10th: Lee Dari

47th: Nam Woohyun

"Argh! I told you I needed to study!" she complained, smacking her boyfriend in the chest.

"You didn't mind that much when we ki-"

"Shut up," she interrupted, turning red.

He laughed while she continued to complain, red but adorable all the same.

15th: Kim Ahri

25th: Lee Sungjong

"Whew! Going dancing was actually pretty relaxing," she stated, smiling at her grade. 

"We should go again sometime then," he hinted, reflecting her expression. 

"We should!" she agreed, watching the way his eyes shined as he gave a rough outline of what they should do over the break.

It sounded like a date.

29th: Park Miyoung

30th: Lee Sungyeol

"Yes!" she cheered, grinning. "It's all thanks to you."

"See? Still think you're only 0.999... ?" he teased with a wink.

"0.999... or not, it's still equal to 1," she threw back, laughing. He laughed along.

He noticed how her eyes twinkled and she admired how his eyes mischievously sparkled.

2nd: Kim Soojung & Lee Howon

"A tie? Darn. I'll beat you next time," he vowed, clucking his tongue. 

"Only if you can Pretty Boy," she challenged, smirking.

"Thought I was Flower Boy, Ice Queen," he joked, chuckling.

"You were promoted," she quoted, enjoying how his eyes burned at the thought of a challenge coming his way.

3rd: Kim Sunggyu

4th: Kim Jinju

"Sunggyu!" she shouted, punching him in the shoulder. "You cost me my grade!"

"Hey you're still in the Top 5!" he pointed out, rubbing his sore wound. "I'm going to have a bruise there tomorrow!"

"You deserve it," she spat, pouting stubbornly.

And their squabble continued.

1st: Choi Sooyeon

Her eyes darted around, finding her friends and siblings.

"Maybe I should find my other half too," she muttered wistfully as she exited the crowd around the list. 

"You're Choi Sooyeon, right?!" a frantic male questioned, taking hold of her hands in his own. "Please! I need your help! Please tutor me!"

She tilted her head to the side wondering if this was a sign to focus on schoolwork or actually try her own suggestion.