Bittersweet: Bitter

Genesis (Volume 01)

I love peace.

I hate lies and misconceptions; I hate fighting.

That's why I'm supposed to hate you, you who made my friend cry.

I'm supposed to hate you, but I love you...

Inspiration ß 99% Cacao (manga) by Yoshioka Ririko 

...xXx...

"Royal Chocolate please," I ordered, struggling to be heard over the crowd. All around me, different orders were coming up, ignoring the line and pushing towards the front. "Ro-"

"She wants Royal Chocolate," a louder, more confident voice broke in, pointing at me. He spoke with such force and intensity that everything became quiet, that everyone around became silent. I looked up and saw the most dazzling of people, a tall and handsome boy, who looked down and gave a sweet smile.

-oOo-

I opened the door, holding the small but sweet box in my hands. Immediately, a familiar shout rang in my ears. 

"Sooyeon you won't believe it!" Jinju called out dramatically, seizing me by the hands. I tilted my head, curious. 

What? 

"Miyoung confessed but he cut her off saying she was annoying," Dari spat with a bitter tone. Immediately I moved towards Miyoung, looking her up and down with worry.

Are you okay?

"I'm fine," she answered my unvoiced question, giving a soft smile. "I just...I liked him...No, I still like him."

"Stupid Niel," Jinju cursed with disgust.

"Niel?" I repeated slowly, the name ringing a bell but no face to match. I recalled rumors about him, but I hadn't met him myself.

"You know," Dari pointed out, rolling her eyes. "Niel of Class 2-C? Athletic, tall, and good-looking but breaks the hearts of all the girls?"

I frowned.

"Haven't you met him?" Jinju asked, tilting her head in such a way that her hair fell over her shoulder.

"We're in Class 3-A, a completely different floor," I pointed out softly. 

"You remember everyone anyways," Dari accused, pointing her chopsticks at me. "Besides, all grades have P.E. together."

"Separated by gender," Jinju reminded, leaning back on her chair.

"I guess you don't know him though," Miyoung stated with finality, pulling our attention back to her.

"I guess," I agreed calmly. "But..."

The rumored, aloof Niel...who was he? Well, it didn't matter. He made my friend cry so-

"I hate him," I stated firmly. "I may not know him, but already I hate him."

-oOo-

The wind was refreshing.

It was an unbelievable gust that took my breath and helped me spread my wings.

I ran, letting it course in me and past me, rushing past the background. 

I slowed my pace but kept on jogging in place, looking back to find no one behind me. 

Had I ran that quickly? 

We were running laps around the neighborhood for physical education and it was thrilling. Already, I had completed my laps, my surroundings the silent streets and the back of the school where the field was. A movement caught my eye.

Ah.

I moved closer, taking a seat next to him.

"From the chocolate," I muttered in memory as he looked up, eyes lighting up with recognition. "Only observing?"

"Yup," he answered, smiling again. "You must like chocolate."

I nodded. I liked sweet foods in general. 

"You must like running too," he added on, sitting on the concrete steps, head on one of his hands, the other crossed across his bent legs.

I nodded again.

"You look happy," he stated calmly, amused.

"I am," I answered, giving a smile.

Immediately, his eyes drew away from mine as he glanced down the street, as if looking for someone to appear while his hand lingered in front of his face, shielding the bottom half from me. 

"You must not have anything you hate," he commented off-handedly, eyes glancing back at me. 

"I do," I contradicted, giving a regretful smile. I listed them, counting them off on my fingers. "Lies...fighting...a guy named Niel."

The male perked up at that.

"What?" he questioned with surprise just as he sneezed, his voice cracking. I laughed, pulling out a handkerchief (ø), one I made myself, and pressing it gently against his nose. He took it gratefully, slightly pink. 

It must be his cold. 

"You okay?" I asked, tilting my head.

"I'm fine," he answered quickly, his voice cracking again. 

"I better get going," I stated calmly, seeing the guys come out from the gym as girls trailed into the smaller gym. I stood up, brushing myself off. I took a few steps before turning back, giving a smile again. "Take care of your cold Jonghyun."

He looked surprised and I pointed at my chest before waving and leaving. 

Wasn't he funny, forgetting about the nametag sewn onto the gym clothes' jacket?

-oOo-

He watched her disappear before giving a sigh.

"Changjo! Thanks for lending me your jacket!" he called out, shrugging off the article of clothing and tossing it at the called male. The male was shorter than he was but only by a bit with just as handsome features but with a more rugged look.

"No problem Niel-hyung. Your cold better?" the boy questioned in response, giving a good-natured, but slightly worried smile.

"I'm fine...just fine."

-oOo-

The next day we were running again and again I sped past my friends as I picked up the pace, eager and free. The new shoes I had worn were soon scraping roughly on my heel, however, so I slowed down, letting my breath make white puffs against the chilly air. 

Up ahead, a familiar figure was leaning against the railing and I couldn't help but run towards him.

"Your cold holding you back?" I questioned as he looked rather healthy today. He stood up fully, much taller than I was, and jogged at my slowed pace. 

"Nah," he teased, giving a bright smile. "I just thought that you'd be here soon."

He pulled my handkerchief out of his pocket.

"I washed it properly," he stated proudly, handing it over.

"Dutiful aren't you Jonghyun?" I muttered and tucked into my pocket, giving a small smile as we continued to run.

"Hey, about that-" he began to say, pausing to cough. I mis-stepped and stopped running, making him stop as well.

"What's the matter?" he asked with worry. He helped me to the side of the road and sat me on the railing, pulling off my shoe and sock, making me feel oddly like royalty. His eyes grew wide.

"What's with that blister?" he gawked, looking strangely worried while pointing at the large, bleeding blister on my heel. I said nothing. He sighed.

"Well, let's get to the infirmary," he decided, going on his knees with his back to me. 

"Wh-What?" I stuttered, embarrassed. "I-It's fine! I'm heavy. I'll feel bad. People are coming too so-"

"You're light," he cut off, turning back to me. His eyes fiercely looked into mine. "You shouldn't feel bad. I'll use a sideroad. So get on." He turned his back to me again.

"I...I'll get on then," I muttered, carefully putting my hands on his shoulders. He sighed again.

"You have to hang on more tightly than that," he complained, his hands suddenly pulling on mine. "Like this."

He pulled me closer, making me land against his back. Before I could protest, he suddenly stood up, hooking his arms under my legs. Blushing, I hooked my arms closer as he continued to walk, holding my shoes in one hand and my socks stuffed in them. 

"Hey...Sooyeon, right?" he called suddenly. I nodded before he remembering he couldn't see me.

"Mhm," I answered softly. 

"...what do you have against Niel?" he asked slowly, cautiously. 

"He made my friend cry," I muttered, lacing my fingers around his neck. "Couldn't he have rejected her more nicely?"

"But he gave her an honest reply," he pointed out slowly. "If he gave her such an ambiguous answer, wouldn't she have false hopes?"

I said nothing but I knew it was true.

"Maybe...maybe you should give him a chance," he suggested hopefully.

"Perhaps," I answered, not promising anything. "Is he your friend?"

"It's not like that," he muttered quickly. I couldn't help the smile that crawled up my face.

"You're kind Jonghyun," I complimented, smiling.

"Am not," he retorted childishly before we were silent the rest of the trip.

-oOo-

"Thank you again," I thanked once more, touched at how he had carried me to the infirmary without a word of complaint. He nodded, giving a soft smile before leaving, shutting the door behind himself. I pulled the handkerchief from my pocket, feeling oddly hot, and held it up, surprised when I heard something crinkle.

What was that?

I saw something white sticking out of the flaps of the folded handkerchief so I pulled it out. 

A note?

I opened it, curious, and immediately smiled. He had written his number on it along with a room number in readable and yet rewritten writing, the numbers and letters erased and rewritten several times with indents lining the paper.

I frowned. That room was not in use anymore, I knew, but why was it on here?

I tucked the paper away along with the handkerchief. I'd worry about it after school.

-oOo-

The bell rang and I packed up. Today, Dari, Miyoung, and Jinju were off to Korea-speaking classes - all born out of Korea - so I bid them farewell before pulling out my phone (ø). Slowly, I typed his number onto the top of the message box before slowly typing something out.

This is Sooyeon. What's the room number here for?

I expected having to wait a while for an answer but almost immediately I got a reply back.

Why don't you come over now and I'll show you?

I thought for a moment. I had time.

Sure.

I began walking down the hallways when I received another message.

I'll be waiting then.

Suddenly, with those four/five words, my face felt hot and I took a deep breath, wondering why my heart was beating so quickly.

-oOo-

I moved to open the door but I saw him leaning against the window sill, eyes focused elsewhere as the sun hit his features perfectly, highlighting them and accentuating his bright eyes, plump lips, and well-defined jaw. I froze, struck by his looks again and the determined fire in his eyes making my heart lurch again.

He tousled his hair, letting the strands swing messily under his fingertips before he caught sight of me and immediately brightened, smiling. Rather than questioning what I was doing, he opened the door and eagerly pushed me inside, looking happy and proud - like a little kid.

"...Is there something here?" I wondered aloud, looking at his features calmly.

"This is a secret base!" he declared with exaggerated expressions and hand motions. I couldn't help the amused grin that climbed my face. His smile brightened, if possible, and he squatted down, pulling my hand down to do the same.

The room was large, I assumed, but only half was free, the rest covered with stacked chairs and desks. 

"This is the entrance," he eagerly showed me, pointing under one of the stacked piles. Unlike the rest, the chair's back wasn't leaning down and blocking the large opening and slowly, urged by his anticipating face, I crawled through, not at all disappointed when the stacks of desks and chairs revealed a large span of space, letting my features light up with a smile.

"It really is a base," I agreed with awe. 

"See?" he pointed out proudly as I crawled closer to him. He placed bags of snacks in my hands and my eyes widened.

"I wasn't sure what to get so I bought a bunch of different kinds," he admitted, blushing slightly as his voice cracked again.

"There are so many," I commented with wonder. "Even if we ate a few every day, it'd take some time to eat them all." 

I looked through them, smiling when I found my favorite crackers.

"Then...let's meet here every day after school," he offered, giving a smile as his fingers laced nervously in front of him. I smiled.

"Sure."

He was so sweet.

-oOo-

"What do you do after school lately Sooyeon?" Jinju questioned, genuinely curious. I shook my head.

Nothing in particular.

"You never hang out with us anymore," Miyoung complained, pouting. 

"And~ you look quite happy lately," Dari added, giving a careful eye. I shook my head fiercely, hoping my long hair covered my blush.

It's nothing.

"Bathroom," I quickly excused, going to cool my burning face.

Why could I talk to Jonghyun so easily and say so little to my friends?

-oOo-

They watched her disappearing back with suspicious eyes.

"She's been messaging in between classes," Jinju muttered knowingly, pulling the said female's phone from her backpack, easily breaking the lock numbers - 6435. 

"She has," Miyoung agreed, glad that someone was happy even if it wasn't her. "And I see her smiling more too. She even talks more."

"Let's check out her log," Dari eagerly suggested.

"Already on it," Jinju evilly stated as the three crowded closer together, looking over her log or more specifically, the number of messages.

Compose New Message (+)
Jonghyun (275)
Miyoung (203)
Dari (159)
Jinju (184)

"Jonghyun?" the three questioned at once.

"From Class 1-C?" Dari recognized. "Changjo!"

"It must be her boyfriend then," Jinju connected, laughing in relief. "She was acting silly for nothing. It's just a puppy love."

"I don't know," Miyoung muttered, eyeing the number of messages. "Wouldn't she have just told us?"

"Maybe she just didn't want to be made fun of," Dari pointed out, giving a knowing look to Jinju.

"Maybe," Miyoung reluctantly agreed. "But I kind of want to see her with a lover."

-oOo-

"This Cacao 99% is bitter," I muttered, making a face. He laughed before he took a bite of the same one, making a similar face. I pouted.

Chocolate, medicine, and cake is best sweet.

"If that's so, then ice cream and love should be sweet as well, right?" he questioned, letting me know I had said my thoughts aloud again, an occurrence that had become more common.

"Love is definitely best when sweet," I agreed bitterly.

"Was there someone you dated before?" he asked cautiously, his voice soft.

"There was someone I liked," I admitted, staring down at the pack of chocolate and taking another bite, letting the bittersweet taste linger on my tongue as I looked away from him, anywhere but him. "...but I gave up."

"Why?"

"Because my friend liked him."

"Really?"

"Yeah...that's why...I'm glad my friends don't like Jonghyun."

A hand grabbed my arm, rougher than before and yet still gentle too, as I was turned to face him, my eyes clashing against his.

"What would you do if I wasn't 'Jonghyun?' " he questioned, shocking me.

Bitter.

So bitter.

The door slammed open.

A teacher's voice rang out.

"Is someone in here?!" he shouted roughly.

-oOo-

"Changjo went home and Sooyeon's still not out," Jinju muttered, checking her phone for the time. "Why did Dari leave again?"

"Basketball practice," Miyoung reminded quickly, frowning. "That's odd though. All the entrances are closed now too."

There was a rustling in the nearby bushes and they glanced over, attention taken. A window opened and a male stepped out, landing lithely on the dirt and brushing off his uniform.

Miyoung's heart fluttered involuntarily and she mentally scolded herself for not being over him.

The male turned around and smiled as a familiar female appeared at the window sill, giving a nervous and yet trusting and content expression. He moved to help her down and as the two fell to the ground, Miyoung could only feel shock and betrayal.

"What is she doing with him?" she whispered with bitterness.

-oOo-

My heart pounded loudly. 

My face was definitely flushed.

My balance was off and I was awkward.

And yet, I didn't mind.

Didn't mind that my face was only a few inches from his.

Didn't mind that my arms lightly groaned against my weight.

Didn't mind that my form was crushed against his as we fell.

Because I realized.

I finally knew as he pulled me down and made me lose balance, clinging to him with warm hands and a pounding heartbeat.

Knew as he whispered in my ear.

Knew as my heart soared like a bird.

Knew as the words slipped out of my mouth but got caught, breathless and surprised.

I loved him.

I truly loved him. 

-oOo-

"Good morning," I greeted my friends brightly, still half-mulling over Jonghyun's odd words the day before.

'What would you do if I wasn't Jonghyun?'...

What do you mean Jonghyun?

Jinju and Dari glared at me and I froze, suffocated, shocked, and confused.

"I feel bad for Miyoung," Jinju said loudly as the two turned their faces away from me.

"Sooyeon is the worst," Dari agreed just as loudly. I opened my mouth to ask but nothing came out. I couldn't ask them anything; I didn't understand, being charged guilty for something I didn't even know.

Miyoung passed by just then.

"Mi-Miyoung, did I do something wrong to you?" I asked, worried and confused as the words spilled from my mouth.

Jinju and Dari slammed the desks, standing and glaring at me again.

"Of course you did!" Dari shouted angrily, daggers shooting from her eyes.

"You secretly met the person she likes!" Jinju added with just as much fury. My eyes widened.

"What are you...talking about?" I asked, completely disoriented, as if someone had knocked the ground from beneath me.

"Are you still feigning innocence?" Dari spat, shoving me by the shoulders, being the more zealous of the two. 

"You should get mad Miyoung!" Jinju advised, sighing angrily.

"...Sooyeon, can you come with me for a moment?" Miyoung questioned though she grabbed my arm and dragged me away, proving there really wasn't a choice. 

She dragged me into the hall and spoke.

With every word, the ground that had cracked beneath me split open and swallowed me, letting me fall.

Deeper. 

Lower.

Farther.

Faster.

Harder.

And I ran off.

No way.

-oOo-

"I'm Jonghyun though I normally go by Changjo," the boy greeted, giving a confused yet good-natured smile. "Are you sure there isn't a mix-up? This is Class 1-C. I think there's another Jonghyun in Class 4-B."

"It's my mistake," I quickly apologized, bowing before leaving, ignoring his question.

-oOo-

"Niel! Someone's calling for you," a boy called from the classroom doorway.

"Who is it?" Niel asked in return, promptly rising from his seat. He turned around and froze, catching sight of her at the doorway. Her expression fell and he immediately knew the act was done and so was the damage.

She turned.

"Wait!" he shouted, immediately chasing after her, tossing chairs out of his way and pushing past his classmates. She looked back, giving him a disappointed and heartbroken look and he stopped, only a few feet from the door, frozen, as she walked away all too quickly out of his life.

-oOo-

Lies. 

His name was a lie.

His grade was a lie.

His everything was a lie.

Lies.

Liar.

What was true?

What was truly him?

What was he doing?

Liar.

Lies.

Why me?

Of all people, why me?

Of all people to pick, why me, Miyoung's best friend?

Liar.

Why did he have to lie?

-oOo-

"I didn't know. Honest," her voice begged and yet Miyoung couldn't find herself any room to forgive. "I'm sorry."

"I thought his name was Jonghyun the whole time," she excused again, pleading for the forgiveness that wasn't coming. "I'm sorry."

"That's impossible!" Miyoung broke in before she could make another pathetic excuse again. "How could you not know?"

No number of 'sorry's could fix the fact that Miyoung's best friend had just stolen her crush away.

-oOo-

Left behind...for everything.

Worksheets and packets.

Changing periods.

Reports.

Homework help.

Lunch.

Everything.

Suddenly, I was nothing.

To them...and to myself.

-oOo-

Another run...and yet, I can't find it in myself to run past everyone like usual.

Now it's me mingling with the rest of my classmates, closer to the front as Miyoung, Jinju, and Dari ran closer to the back, and yet I don't feel like myself, not since that day. I can't run past them and feel the freedom that I enjoyed because suddenly my wings were torn.

"Niel," one girl called out, surprised. My heart skipped for a second and my eyes looked up on reaction, finding him again on the railing, waiting. "What are you doing here? The gym teacher'll get mad if he catches you."

He looked up, eyes catching mine and immediately he stood.

"Sooyeon," he called, immediately moving all attention towards me. He bowed, eyes and hands clenched. "I'm sorry for pretending to be Jonghyun all this time!"

My hands clenched as thousands of thoughts crossed through my mind, so many questions and so many comments...and yet, I couldn't say any of them; I couldn't even say the three words I wanted to most, the two words I yearned to, the one action I wished to.

I gave a robotic laugh and a stiff smile.

"It's my fault for assuming, but I really dislike liars. Please stay away from me from now on," I curtly stated, not forgiving him verbally and yet unable to hate him for it in all honesty. 

With that, I ran past him, suddenly all too eager to run and escape the crowd, the rumors, and him.

-oOo-

"Sooyeon!" came Miyoung's familiar voice. I slowed and turned around, unsure of what to expect.

"We're sorry," Jinju blurted as the three stopped in front of me.

"We didn't think he'd actually trick you," Dari added, looking distressed.

"I'm sorry," Miyoung whispered, wrapping her arms around my neck, leaning down to match my height.

I did the same, giving a smile.

...As I thought, peace is the best.

-oOo-

Class was over and I packed up, surprised when something square clearly stood out against the pocket. I the object for a moment before pulling it out. Cacao 99%. Of course. I gave a bitter smile and put it away to eat at home.

Alone.

Away.

Crying.

Hiding.

Bitterly.

...And love is best sweet.