You Can't Turn Back the Time

Meet My Boss

 

Amber woke up the with a feeling of anxiety. She guessed she might have slept at the wrong side of the bed. Nonetheless, she tidied her bed, did her morning routine and went to work. The sky was azure and the sun was in the right place but she knew she was missing something. She got out of her apartment  and walked out of the building.

Out of the blue, she realized what she was trying to point out. Krystal. There was no sign of Krystal.

“Looks like she got sick of me,” she thought. After all the effort she did just to get to know her more, she knew that she was a burden to her. Like some scum who would take away everything she worked hard for. Amber could never lead a company. She couldn’t be what Krystal wanted her to be. She had realized then and there how solitary her life was. With no family and friends in Korea, she felt so out of place. She walked glumly at the sidewalk, kicking soda cans, ready to quit everything altogether.

A black Sedan stopped beside her. She stared at it with less enthusiasm and walked further.  She felt someone grab her arm. She turned around, ready to show off her skills in Taekwondo...

Only to be faced by an alluring brunette.

“Miss Liu. I’m sorry if I have frightened you. I am Suzy, Miss Jung’s assistant, “ She bowed and looked at her with a stern face. “Miss Jung has her off every Friday and Saturday. So it is up to me now to fill her shoes.” She took out her plastic clipboard. “Here are some things you have to look on to for today. But first, let us get you into that Sedan.”

The word “Suzy” was again very familiar to her. What is up with everybody’s names?

Umm, Suzy, right?” Suzy nodded, with her eyes on her papers and whatnots as she was browsing them  in her arms. “Do we happen to know each other? I mean, have we passed by each other in the street? Eat at the same cafe? Glanced at each other?”

“This is my first time seeing you in person Miss Liu. I’m sorry I didn’t get to introduce myself yesterday, since you were busy with all the preparations and meetings.” She had said this without the slightest glance at Amber and seemed to be twitching during her speech. She found it quite interesting.

“I see.” Amber got inside the vehicle and noticed the driver from yesterday. “Hey, it’s you again.” She greeted him.

The driver smiled at the mirror.

“Annyeong driver. I have to get to know Hangul now.  Umm, Irumi muoshimnikka? Was that right Suzy? Was that ‘What’s your name’ in korean speak?”

“Hmmm, a bit off but that should do. I’m glad to know you’re reading the materials Miss Jung gave you, Miss Liu.” She smiled half-heartedly at her. Amber found it refreshing.  She felt familiarity with Suzy, and even though they’ve just met, she recognized the warmth of her presence.

“You can call me L, Miss Liu.” The driver said. He removed his cap as a sign of greeting and placed it back.

“Cool name. You can call me Amber, guys. You’re both  too formal. You should both get tips from Krystal. Sometimes, I think she’s the CEO.” There was an awkward silence.

Amber started waving her hands  in protest. “Not in a bad way, really. It’s just that I like working in a friendly atmosphere. You know, where we can all be buddies.” She looked at Suzy and the bright face was clouded with something she couldn’t read. Annoyance? Fustration?

“That is unbecoming of us, Miss Liu. I cannot treat you like we’re of the same position. You are our head. We should regard you as one. Now please, let us get you into your office and discuss the first agenda of the day, if you so happened to read that clipboard I gave you,” Suzy alighted from the car and closed it deliberately. Amber scratched her head in aggravation and  asked to no one in particular, “What’s her problem?”

“I don’t know about Miss Suzy, but I like being buddies with you, boss,” He bumped fists with Amber and she laughed.

“Cool. See ya later L!” She got down the Sedan with a salute from her driver.

 __________________________________________________________________

Suzy could not contain these feelings she’d been hiding for so long.

She wanted to tell her everything that happened. She wanted to be with her and tell her how she felt. Suzy felt a sudden rush of blood as she touched her, as she held her arm with her hand. She owed her life to this person. Amber had to pay the price for this. She had to be the one who was suffering.

“Miss Liu. I’m sorry if I have frightened you. I am Suzy, Miss Jung’s assistant. Miss Jung has her off every Friday and Saturday. So it is up to me now to fill her shoes. Here are some things you have to look on to for today. But first, let us get you into that Sedan.”

She couldn’t look at her in the eyes. Not in this way. She pretended to get busy with her things.

Umm, Suzy, right?” She nodded hesitantly. “Do we happen to know each other? I mean, have we passed by each other in the street? Eat at the same cafe? Glanced at each other?”

Amber remembered her somehow. But she couldn’t. She couldn’t reveal herself. She’d remember. She’d remember all the pain. Amber had gone through therapy to forget some of them. She had to, or else Suzy wouldn’t  be able to live at the idea of Amber blaming her. She was selfish and conceited but it was worth it. For the both of them. She wanted to thank Mr. Liu for everything he’d done to her and to Amber. He knew everything. He blamed himself but the truth was...

“This is my first time seeing you in person Miss Liu. I’m sorry I didn’t get to introduce myself yesterday, since you were busy with all the preparations and meetings.” Good thing she was able to make a coherent sentence.

They rode the Sedan with a few remarks from both of them. She smiled wanly at Amber, trying her best to speak her forgotten language. Amber was getting her life back here in Seoul.

But Suzy could not let her feelings get the best of her. If she got any closer with Amber, everything might change. Their lives weren’t suppose to get entangled. Not again. Try to be civil Suzy.

So she said those words. She needed the personal distance. She and Amber were going to be in a professional relationship.

Someone once said that whatever you do, everything will eventually fall into place. Suzy knew that but she would do everything in her power to set back the process.

Because surely, she can’t set back the time.

_________________________________________________________________ 

Sorry it took so long to create this short chapter. I know. I know. Some of your questions still haven't been answered. I promise next chapter will be awesome. I'm going to make it longer.

And please, please, feedbacks. Needing some of your love guys. Thank you!

Next chapter: A bit of jealous kryber. And oh, Amber will know more of Krystal because of a blood relative... (I mentioned her name in the fourth chapter) Au Revoir! Out~