Don't Compete With The Girlfriend

Meet My Boss

 

Soojung gave a deep sigh as she stared at the windows near her seat. She just felt so detached from the people outside that she could’ve just dissolved in her position without anyone knowing. All of a sudden, a thought occurred to her. If she had gone away from this world, would anyone care? Would her loved ones cry? Would she find someone that would make her matter more than anyone else and mourn greatly for her leaving? She sighed with a deep longing for that person.

The line from the cashier was already very long and it had taken her friend another fifteen minutes before they could finally savor their lattes.

“Remind me again, why are we meeting in the middle of the night?” Victoria sat on the opposite of Soojung, breaking her thoughts, as she placed her ordered caramel coffee latte in front of her.

“Uhmm, cause I miss you?”

“That’s nice Soojung. But I think I miss my bed more...” She yawned loudly, covering with her hands.

“Do you miss the bed or the one you’re with ON the bed?” Luna sidled on the seat next to Victoria, which earned her a smack on the head by the latter.

“Quit being a byuntae(ert) Luna!”

Soojung laughed at the two. She looked up and stared at the ceiling lights which were drawn like stars. In the middle of the cafe was a chandelier embodied as a crescent-shaped moon. It was as if they were in the country side in the middle of the evening, gazing at the night sky.

This particular coffee shop was called “The Moon Cup” which was named after its owner, Luna. She built it in the bustling district of Gangnam and significantly, her shop was known to night owls and insomniacs who wanted a place to spend the night with their friends.

“Aish! You own this place and you made us wait in line for fifteen minutes.  Aren’t we friends?”

“Yah! I’m the owner and yet you keep on harassing me and calling me a ert!” Luna chided as she massaged the part where she was hit. “Besides, I treat my customers fairly, whether they’re my friends or my mortal enemies.”

Luna smirked at Soojung. “Speaking of mortal enemies, how is your boss doing nowadays?”

“I don’t know what to do anymore Luna.” She stared at her latte and spun the contents, mixing the cream with the iced coffee.

Soojung told them what had happened the night when Amber and her sister got intoxicated. She told them about the kiss and how she felt about it. She told them how she wanted to taste those lips again and how she hid this to her. She even explained the whole Ailee incident and how she was barely holding it in.

“And now, we have to act like we’re a couple in front of Ailee because of my own stupid fault!” She placed a hand on her forehead and sipped her latte until only ice cubes were left.

Victoria chuckled at her predicament. “You know why you’re feeling this way, right?”

“What?”

“We’re not blind, Soojung.”

She glanced at the two grinning idiots and gave a shout, “Okay! Okay! I like my boss, alright? I am utterly smitten by her! You fine with that?” She laid her head on the table to hide her embarrassment.

Luna shook Soojung’s shoulders. “It’s okay Soojungie. I think she’s really hot. And the way her eyes look at you, it’s as if you’re the only reason she breathes. She’s grateful to you, don’t you know that? There’s only one person she trusts and that’s you.”

She raised her head and saw Victoria and Luna staring at her with those glimmering eyes.

“I don’t know guys. She’s just trouble. It’s like she’s made to entice you and then, once you’re in too deep, she pushes you away from you temporary insanity. The difficult part of this is I don’t want to be sane anymore. I just want to be with her,” Soojung said and the three sighed altogether.

“Soojung, you know you just got yourself into a whole lotta trouble.”

“I know Vic-unnie! So what do I do with this fake relationship? I’m afraid I’ll screw this up and lose my cool. “

“Just act it out.” Luna answered her with a determined expression. “Try turning this situation the other way around.”

“Amber just needs a little push.” Victoria crossed her arms. “Make her feel that you’re the iest woman in the world. Make her feel that she wants you too…”

“But I don’t know if she even likes girls, in general.” She frowned at the idea. “What if she gets grossed out?”

“She’s not. You don’t get to do anything. You’re just trying to be you,” her golden-haired friend said. She smirked and added, “Only ier.

“If she doesn’t like you, then fine, it’s her loss.” The petite one took her hands and held them firmly. “You’re a beautiful person, inside and out. And remember no matter what gender you prefer or what clothes you wear, you’ll always be our Soojungie.”

She hugged them from the other side of the table. “I love your little byuntae arses. Don’t ever forget that.” She clinched them so tightly that they were close to suffocating.

“Can’t…Breathe,” Luna tapped Soojung’s back to warn her that they were oxygen-deprived. She released them with a laugh.

“I think I’m seriously reconsidering being your friend, Soojung.” Victoria coughed. She snickered at her friend’s expense.

“I’ll treat you guys to coffee. I think this is going to be a long night.” Luna stood up and went inside the barista’s place.

“I thought you deal with your customers fairly!”

 Luna turned to Victoria and her lips spread to form a genuine smile. “This one’s an exception.”

In Gangnam-gu, it’s an unsaid rule that men should drink their coffee in one gulp. The women take a bit more time before they actually finish one.

The three girls, however, drank theirs in one go. They had a long night ahead of them as they talked about the upcoming days for their sorely love-struck friend.

________________________________________

It was the morning after. The lights of Amber Liu’s office went on and the venetian blinds were tugged upwards to illumine the area. The perpetrator was Amber Liu herself. She sat on her desk and casually tucked her hands in her pants pocket.

Why did she have to be so dense?

She knew Suzy was not in the least bit interested with her. But when she stared at those eyes, she felt like there was something going on, as if she was hiding something. Amber thought she liked her but it turned out to be something else. Some form of curiosity? What was it? She had to find out.

Amber was going to get her answers today.

There was a knock on the door. “Come in.”

“Good morning, Miss Liu.”  

Game time Amber.

“This is your agenda for the day. You have an advertiser’s forum in the morning. Then, there’s a Mr. Williams waiting to meet you in the afternoon. Oh, and Ailee wants to have dinner along with your date so that you can talk about the commercial.” Suzy stared at her clipboard for a while, not believing her eyes. “You have a date, Amber?”

“Yes, I have one Suzy. Is that so unbelievable?”

“I’m-I’m sorry for asking personal questions,” She turned to the door when Amber approached her.

“What are you hiding? Tell me.”

“I’m not hiding anything,” She looked downwards. She stared at the hard granite tiles, wishing she could just be a part of them.

“You hate my guts? What is it?” Amber was pacing back and forth in her office. “You’ve known me before?”

She looked at her with a grave face. “Stop playing games, Amber.”

“That’s it! You’ve known me before!”

“If this is some sick joke, then it’s not funny. I turned you down because I don’t have the same feelings for you. That’s it.”

Suddenly, Amber pushed her against the wall and held her wrist.

“I’m going to find out what you’re hiding Suzy, whether you tell me or not.” They stared at each other with different reactions; Amber looked contemptuous while Suzy was panic-stricken.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what’s happening to me.” Amber had let her loose when she saw her frightened face.  As soon as she let go, Suzy ran straight to the door and out of her sight.

____________________________

The blonde tomboy stepped out of her office feeling confused and distraught. It was almost five in the afternoon and many employees were getting ready to get off work. The hours seemed to pass by so fast that she didn’t have the chance to talk to Suzy privately. She made a big mistake by letting her anger take control over the incident. Suzy was nice and it wasn’t her fault if she didn’t like her that way but she really had this gut feeling; that it was more than just unrequited emotions.

She called Krystal to brief her in their supposedly “dinner date” with Ailee. Krystal said she’d be a little late because she was busy channeling her whims in the hair salon.

“Why are you getting prepped up, all of a sudden?”

“What? Is it so bad to let myself be pretty for once?” She let out a huff of resentment on the other line.

“But aren’t you pretty enough? I mean, you’re beautiful the way you are, Krystal. Let’s get this dinner meeting over and done with.”

 “I-“ Her voice faltered.

“Krys? Are you there?”

“You find me beautiful?” Krystal’s voice came out in hushed tones.

“Yes…” Amber abashedly admitted and out of nowhere, she saw a fleeting image of Krystal when she was lost in Seoul back then. She remembered their first meeting. Her perfect hair. Her luscious lips. Those wonderful doe eyes…

She was close to perfection.

Her face suddenly felt hot. She shook her head to straighten her thoughts. “…but I’m stupid, right? So Just-just get your out of there.”

“Stop talking about my …” Krystal trilled and hung up the phone.

Amber pressed her end call multiple times and exclaimed, Aish! This arrogant princess will be the end of me.” She walked briskly to the elevator as she thought of ways on how to make Krystal suffer for hanging up the phone.

When she reached the corner, she didn’t realize there was also someone walking in hurried footsteps.  The girl toppled over, spilling her papers on the floor.

“Sorry.”

Anio. It’s not a big deal.”

“It is. Let me help you Sulli.”

Amber collected her papers that littered all over the floor and gave it to a crouching Sulli. “Here.”

“Thanks.” She blushed shyly.

Amber caught sight of something in her neck. It was sort of shimmering in the light. She focused on the pendant’s shape, and it was a heart. Realizing that she was staring at the pendant, Sulli hid it underneath her blouse and cleared .

“Thanks again! I’m going to go now, boss. See ya around,” Sulli eye-smiled at her and walked off.

All of a sudden Amber was holding her temples and was seething with pain. She didn’t know what turned her migraine again. She felt light-headed as she walked and sat on the lounge’s sofa.

As she laid her head on the comfy pillows and calmed down, she had drifted off to sleep.

______________________________

Someone was eating a well roasted beef steak somewhere in an expensive restaurant. This incident was particularly difficult since her manager had to find the safest and most secluded spot for her to sit and eat. Or else, all hell would break loose. Necessary measures had to be made so that she could enjoy this steak. Two bodyguards had been assigned in front of the resto and she even had a personal butler of her choice. Ailee wasn’t accustomed to any of these but her manager told her that she needed the security. She sighed and ate her steak peacefully.

She heard a loud clashing of plates nearby. She looked past the shrubs and saw a dashing young man in a tuxedo, helping out a waiter who he had accidentally bumped into. He bowed several times and left the waiter. Ailee dropped her fork when she saw that it was actually Amber Liu walking to her.

“A-a-amber?”

Amber grinned at her and waved. Ailee felt her heart drop along with the food she had masticated in . He was one of the most handsome guys she had met.

“Hi! Sorry I’m late. I slept at my office’s lounge by accident. Man, am I slacker or what?” She sat herself opposite of her and smiled again.

“Amber, please grant me this wish.” She told her bleakly and grabbed on to her hands. “Break up with that girl and be with me.”

Amber stared at her for a long time and an awkward pause drifted between the two of them. After a few minutes, she removed Ailee’s hands away from hers and told her frankly, “Miss Ailee, I don’t know if you noticed, but I’m a girl.”

There was an even more awkward silence. Ailee’s mouth hung open, shell-shocked at her response. Amber cleared and continued, “I know I kind of look like a boy or whatever. But I’m a girl.”

Ailee was still not saying anything.

Amber waved her hands in front of her face to see if she was blind or if her eyes were still moving, but she stayed motionless. She shook her shoulders gently to wake her up from her stupor.

“Huh? You’re a girl?”

“Yes.”

Ailee’s whole world came crashing down. Why didn’t she notice? She speculated Amber to be a man who just looked feminine but she didn’t realize that she was a girl. Does that mean she liked the same gender? Uh oh. Was she gay?

She held her chin in deep thought, looking at Amber. “I don’t care if I’m gay, Amber. I like you.”

Amber looked down shyly at her confession. “I sort of have someone in mind right now. I’m sorry.”

“Your girlfriend, right?”

Amber was about to speak when someone walked past and sat beside her.

“I apologize Miss Ailee for being so tardy. Something came up…”

“No it’s okay. Amber here was late too.” She glanced at Amber to see her acting strangely. She was staring at Krystal with amazement. Her eyes were shuffling to Krystal’s face down to her glorious curves.

Something dawned on her that day.  She could’ve dressed the same as Krystal (a plunging V-line in the back and a nice view of her s in the front) and Amber still wouldn’t look at her the way she was looking at Krystal now. She ate her steak again in mindful thought.

Just then, she realized that she could never ever compete with the girlfriend.

****************************

Sorry for the late update. Teehee! *hides in the closet*