A Drop in the Ocean

Meet My Boss

 

Soojung didn't notice that everything she had worked for would crumble. Her whole being suddenly meant nothing now as she ran with all her might, looking for someone she knew for only half a day.  It was then that she realized, now more than ever,  that keeping her promise to Mr. Liu would eventually be the death of her.

Trust her,” Mr. Liu’s voice resonated inside her head.  She inwardly cursed at this thought.

So she searched every crack and crevice of the city. Even  those dingy restaurants and unused buildings. She despised going there. Especially, when she was being catcalled and wolf-whistled. She hated men who couldn’t keep their lustful thoughts to themselves. But she figured it was for the company who gave her everything she had ever dreamed of. With that, she steeled all that’s left of her dignity and searched. Still no sign of Amber. Finally, Soojung paused at a near lamp post and huffed, placing her hands on her knees. "Can this day get any worse?" She thought in defeat.

As if on cue, a cacophonous sound tolled through the sky.  Suddenly, a shower of rain descended through the side walk and all over the vicinity. She shrieked and scurried off to a nearest bus stop, scooting over at the end of the seat where a poster of a korean idol hung. “Make it sell,” it had said with an inscription of “Liu Advertising Co.” at the bottom.  There were vandals written all over the poster, filled with expletives and negative ones; the last one she read was, “Corrupt company. Burn in hell!” in Hangul.

“When I said ‘Can this day get any worse’, I meant it as a rhetorical question, not a challenge!” Soojung quipped to no one and scowled out of frustration.

Then, she felt a light tapping on her shoulder. “Miss, are you looking for your boyfriend?” A woman who looked like she was in her mid-40s, wearing a tattered and smudged apron stared at her, all wet from the rain.

Anio. Just a friend who’s lost.” She said, backing off. Nice plan, Soojung. Talking to strangers will definitely get you to Amber.

“Oh. Is that your friend?” She pointed to a fruits stall at the far end of the street. Her eyes grew wide at the person who was drenched in the rain. She had totally lost her marbles--

“YAH!” She ran off at the sight of her, all her expensive clothing also getting soaked. “BABO!” She told her as she reached Amber, who was munching an apple.

“Why in heaven’s sake are you eating that?” She swiped it away from her and crushed it with her foot. Amber seemed to be taken aback and looked at her in suprise –or was it out of fright?

“You just crushed an apple with your bare foot.” She said in a flat tone. “You’re one hell of a woman.”

Soojung grasped the front of her tshirt with both hands. “Don’t ever run off like that, you stupid .”

“Let go!” Amber responded, chortling at her grip.

“Not until you promise me!” She exclaimed. “You had me worried sick, you buffoon!”

“Please...Just...Lay...Off...Me... For a sec...”

“Promise me!”

“Ok...ay.”

She had let go, but Amber still looked like she was suffocating. “Amber?” Soojung asked with a worried expression. Then, it suddenly dawned on her,  “Oh my God! I forgot you’re allergic to apples!”

_________________________________________________

Amber stayed in the hospital for a day.  After getting her prescriptions and medical advice, she was discharged from the hospital, promising never to eat anything apple-y or anything with a smidget of apple in it. She complied, with her head hung low beside an aggravated Soojung.

When the doctor finished his rounds and left, Soojung faced Amber worriedly. “Amber, you know what’s going to happen after this, right?”

She nodded, without a word.

“Tomorrow...” she proclaimed, with bated breath, “You will be the CEO of the most well known advertiser in the whole of Korea.”

____________________________________________

“Hey! Have you heard?”

Suzy took a mug from the cupboard and shimmied the coffee and sugar containers out of their hiding.  She placed 3 teaspoons of coffee and a spoonful of sugar. “Dont pester me with office gossip, Sunny. Whether  Su-Yeon got peircings in her belly button or not,  it’s none of my business, or yours, unfortunately.” She poured hot water from the dispenser and spinned the contents wildly with a teaspoon. After pouring cream, she then inflected it with chocolate granules.

“Really? She got piercings on her--  Wait I’m getting off topic! It’s about the boss’ replacement,  silly!” Suzy’s ears perked at the subject. “I heard he’s even younger than any of us. No experience. A sloucher. Not at least interested in the business-“

Aigoo! Would you cut her some slack?” She placed her mug on the table and crossed her arms. “Don’t judge someone you haven’t actually met, Sunny! Honestly! What would you do if your uncle died and left you with a million dollar company?”

“I’ll donate it to charity?” Sunny scratched her head and smirked.

“It’s good you’re just the messenger here.”

“Messenger? Who is? I’m the office’s communications transport officer. Not some measly messenger! Hmph!” She stomped childishly out of the employee’s lounge.

A short-haired girl with fringes came rushing through the door, bumping Sunny. “Sorry Sunny-sshi!” She beamed at Sunny, which in turn, looked glumly at her. Sunny walked out still stomping.

“What’s with her? Anyways—“ She looked excitedly at Suzy. “I saw the new boss Suzy! He’s just too cute to be true! Hwaaa-“ She held Suzy’s hands and hopped gleefully.

“Really Sulli?” She said in a mock smile.

“Omo!” Sulli’s face grew anxious as she placed her hands on both sides of her face. “I forgot my paper’s due today! Gotta run!” She ran off to the door and said, “See you at lunch Suzy-sshi!”

Suzy waved her off and sat at her chair.

“Amber...”

A tear escaped from her eye. She wiped it off and drank her coffee alone.

*******************************************

Oooh, incriminating! Haha~ So much drama, so tiny chapters. Sorry guys. But I promise I’ll keep updating as early as possible (By early, I mean when a good idea strikes me) So please spare me your patience. Teehee~

Thanks again for all the feedbacks! You guys kept me going. :)

And yes, this is my first Kryber fic. Technically, I write features stuff in some magazine and back in my high school hey days, I used to write Harry Potter fanfictions but I lost track of that so anyways, keep on subbing and commenting! Toodles! Out~