SWAN SONG

SLEEPLESS IN SEOUL II

 

 

The day of holy matrimony. Jessica couldn’t quite remember what happened during the first part of the day. All she knew was she couldn’t sleep the night before. All she could recall on that day was when she saw her lover in bridal gown, holding hands with her father as he sent her off. Tiffany glittered in optimism and delight. She sparkled. At that moment, nothing else seemed to matter to Jessica anymore. She knew she did the right decision.

It was a long, tiring day but it was the best of both their lives. The wedding ceremony took place in a church at noon. As both of them held hands, walking down the aisle, a group of pigeons lined the path. It was as though they were greeting them. Nature gave its congrats too when the sound of birds singing in the sky filled the romantic atmosphere. It was perfect.

 

 

***

 

 

 

The couple did not go home after the dinner. Instead, they went to the one place that mattered the most to them. The place where they first met. They sat on the curb, where Jessica used to sit. The sky was beautiful, filled with glittering stars and a full moon.

Jessica felt Tiffany resting her head on her shoulders. The world was theirs.

“I still remember you singing lullaby to Cookie. Right up there.” Jessica pointed to the house balcony.

Tiffany smiled.

“It has been nearly two years ago. And thank you for saving Cookie that night.”

Jessica grinned as she held Tiffany’s hands tightly.

Tiffany smiled. She had no regrets. She loved Jessica. She was her angel in her life. As she rested her head on Jessica’s shoulders, Tiffany opened her eyes one last time before drifting off to a sleep that she never woke up from.