Unexpected

Just Another JamLi Story ♥

•NARRATOR•

Ann was depressed the whole day. If it weren’t for the note on her cork board she would’ve forgotten that she and James had a hang-out sesh today.

“Hey James! I’m sorry I’m late. Something happened at home and I forgot about this.” Ann said clearly sad in James’ eyes.

“Oh hey Ann! Don’t worry, I wasn’t here long. Is there a problem?” James said trying to cheer up Ann.

“I’d be lying if I said no right?” Ann said trying to laugh sitting beside James.

“Why what happened? Mind telling your best guy friend what your problem is? Maybe it’ll help getting that off your chest.” James said consoling Ann.

“Well, maybe later. I wanna have fun. I wanna forget about what happened at home. Let’s go!” Ann said as she pulled James toward the swings.

“Okay but make sure this day doesn’t end without you telling me what’s bothering you. Okay?” James said winded because of running.

“Absolutley.” Ann said with a weak smile.

----------

After playing on the swings like they used to and eating ice cream ‘til they get sick of it James tried to ask her what her problem was.

“Ann, since we’re still full from eating all that ice cream would you mind if we talk first?” James said

But little did he know Ann wasn’t listening to him, she was very deep in thought remembering the whole scenario that happened at home.

-FLASHBACK-

“Tā shì nǐ de wèi hūn fū. He is your fiancé.” my dad said as the guy claiming to be my fiancé smiled at me.

“Shénme?! Nǐ shì rèn zhēn de? What?! Are you serious?” I said quite shocked.

“Ta shi Cai Cai Yin. He is Sam Chua. Ta shi yi ge zhong guo ren. He is Chinese.” Dad said standing to introduce us.

“Ni hao. Hi there.” Sam said smiling at me taking my hand to kiss it.

“Ni hao. Hi. Ba ba ta she shei ah. Wo mei you wei hun fu. Dad, who is he? I don’t have a fiancé.” I said retrieving my hand from Sam.

“Lí yī shuān, bùyào cū lǔ. Tā de fù  mǔ hé nǐ mā mā hé wǒ jìn xíng le bāo bàn hūn yīn. Li Yi Shuan, don't be rude. His parents and your mom and i have made an arranged marriage for both of you.” My dad said standing up abruptly ending our conversation.

I didn’t even get to say what I wanted to, I guess that’s what arranged marriages are for. But it’s the 21st century for Christ’s sake. Maybe Sam is nice but I cannot accept this. I want to fall in love and marry the person I love.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

“Hello? Earth to Ann! Are you there??” James said waving his hand over Ann’s face.

“Oh yeah. Of course! Haha. I’m still here.” Ann said getting back to reality.

“So would you tell me now? I mean tell me what’s wrong.” James said

“Fine. But I tell you it’s a very long story.” Ann said.

-------------

•JAMES•

“What?!?!?!” Is she serious? What the hell?

“C’mon Ann, It’s the 21st century for Christ’s sake.” I said in exasperation.

“Haha. Those were my exact thoughts when my dad told me.” She said seeming so depressed.

“I don’t want it. I’m sure Sam is a great guy but not really for me. I want to fall in love like normal people do.” Ann said deep in thought.

“Obviously. No one wants an arranged marriage.” I said smiling to myself. Relieved that she had no feelings for him. Nada. None.

“I don’t know if I should follow my dad’s orders. I mean I love him and all but he’s been always dictating whatever I do. I’m tired of it. It’s always his way. When do I get my way?” she said thoughtfully, releasing all her anger.

“Maybe it’s time we see some changes around here.” I said with that look on my face.

---------------

•NARRATOR•

It has been one week since Ann told James about her new fiancé. Both of them had a back-up plan. If her parents tried to force Sam into her, they’d know what to do. Of course, James told Lauren about their plan and she was in on it.

During practice for the play, an unexpected visitor came their way in the auditorium.

“DG! C’mon listen to me gather up here.” the supervisor said to the dramatics guild interrupting their practice.

Ann called everyone to the stage and asked, “Yes Ms. De La Cruz? Do you need anything?”

“Well, not exactly, I’m just showing around a new student in this school.” Ms. De la Cruz said. “I’ve been showing him around and showing him all the clubs he would possibly like to join. And since he’s an exchange student from Taiwan, I know that you’d understand him.” She continued.

“Oh really? Well, I think I’d like to see who this person is, where is he?” Ann said sounding enthusiastic knowing that there’s someone new in their school that maybe doesn’t even know how to speak English and she could help him.

“Sam! Get in here! They’d like to meet you!” Ms. De La Cruz said.

Then suddenly a young guy came inside the auditorium and smiled at all of them.

“Hi! I’m Sam. And I’m new here!” Sam said looking directly at Ann smiling.

“Oh shoot.” Ann muttered.