Chapter 2

And All These Little Things

Letting the pink shade of lipstick touch her soft lips, giving color to it. You look at your stunning creation, then back to the mirror, looking at every detail. Touching her cheeks again, making the colored-powder even, you took a deep breath in contentment.

 

“There you go, EunJin. You are all set for your date.”, you said, in satisfaction. Wiping your hands with a clean cloth, while looking at your classmate in amazement.

 

She opens her eyes, as she was left with awe, so delighted with every detail, from her eyes to her lips. Like everyone, she is truly amazed on how you put colors on their eyes, cheeks, lips. That they turn out really stunning, especially if its you who did it.

 

“______________~ah. I look really beautiful, You are truly amazing.”, she said, as she stares at the mirror, appreciating everything you made for her to look stunning

 

Besides, reading anatomy books, staying up all night, writing notes, you are not that plain young lady wearing an all white uniform they would see everyday.

 

Hiding behind this, is a young lady who loves to fill the world with different colors. Expressing what she feels, in every color that her brush would sweep and touch.

 

It all began as a hobby, watching videos on the internet, watching tutorials on make up and stuff. Until, like magic, those hands of yours that wanted to take care of other people at first, then now also wanted to paint smiles on their lips.

 

Fixing your own things, you said farewell to her, after helping her choose the dress she will wear for her date.

 

“You better make sure that your man’s eyes will only be yours all night, okay?”, you said, as you waved goodbye, as she looks out from her window. She doesn’t know that her boyfriend will be proposing to her tonight, and you were part of the plan, making sure she’ll look pretty tonight.

 

 

Walking on these busy streets of Seoul, the cold wind kept on brushing in, saying that winter season is coming. Looking up the sky, as the blue sky now is being played with the colors orange, the sun slowly bids farewell. With a smile on your face, you had never felt so excited, seeing that these cold, winter days is your only time to  relax, and lie down all day with MinJoo, sharing everything and stuff.

 

Yet, you remembered, MinJoo said she’ll be out on a blind date tonight. And you’ll be left alone for dinner, so you decided to drop by a restaurant to buy your own food.

 

Not satisfied with the restaurants you see, you decided to buy on the restaurant near your place. It’s the usual place where you buy your own food. Walking out a coffee shop, after buying a drink, you took your phone from your pocket, thinking someone might be trying to contact you all this time.

 

And yes, someone did.

 

 

“__________________~ah. Please reply to my message, as soon as possible. Badly need your help. –MinJoo”

 

“What could be happening this time?”, you ask yourself, as you stopped walking, near the entrance to the subway station, taking a sip of your drink

 

You were about to send your reply to her message, your phone rang, making you a bit surprised that you almost drop both your drink, and the phone you are using.

 

 

 “Yes? I thought you said you are going out on a blind date?”, you said, looking around the place you were standing.

 

“I know, I know. I’am going. But I might reach the restaurant late. I just got out the film institute, the admission, the campus tour, and all just ended. I didn’t know it’ll take long.”, she said, panting, as if she’s running her way out.

 

You remembered, today is MinJoo’s big day. Last Tuesday, she received a letter from a university she’s been dreaming to enter into, stating that she passed the entrance exam and the interview, and on this day, she needs to be there to fix everything and that she may start schooling soon.

 

Excitement filled your room, as both of you squealed in happiness. It has been her dream ever since.

 

And on that day too, she told me she’ll be going out, on a blind date.

 

You never really agreed with it ever since, even though she told you that this man were known to some of her colleagues, because he was then a frequent customer of the restaurant she is working into now. But knowing, and having no idea who this guy is, really creeps you out.

 

Its not that you never had any experienced with these, going out for a date, receiving invitations to go into something like that. The fact that you are thinking of MinJoo as your sister, of course you wanted to keep her safe from anything.

 

The date is supposedly at 7PM. Looking at your watch, you were surprised.

 

Its 6:21

 

“Where are you now, exactly?”, you ask, walking pass the subway station, then deciding to take a bus

 

“Just…Let’s just meet at the restaurant, I’ll text you where. Are you finished doing EunJin’s make-up?”, she ask, that you even hear car horns being blown so loud. You thought she maybe tried running at a pedestrian lane again, trying to see if she’ll be able to cross it before the red light starts to appear.

 

“I’am…Yes, you should. And MinJoo, please…take care, relax. Everything will be fine, okay? Bye.”, you said, worried, and at the same time mad. Though MinJoo is 2 years older than you, you felt like you are the one who’s older in this kind of situation

 

“I will, thank you ___________~ah.”, she said, hanging up. After a while, she sent you the restaurant’s name and where it is located. Just at the right time, a bus arrives, that you rush your way in to be able to reach the place on time.

 

Going down the bus, and walking down the sidewalk for a little while. You spotted MinJoo from afar, standing outside this fine looking French bistro. Re-reading the name of the place, which is in French, made you think that this man she’ll be dating is maybe more than what you expect, best or worse.

 

Approaching near her, she met you halfway dragging you all the way inside the place, going straight to their powder room. It was a good thing that there are only a few people inside that place, and no one noticed how you two entered such a classy restaurant.

 

Entering the brown colored wash room, given more ambience by the yellow light, you quickly place your things near the sink, and started working your magic. You check out the time and its already 10 minutes before seven.

 

Trying to relax, yourself and MinJoo, you worked seriously, making your friend stunning, after a long day.

 

Adding some finishing touches then, you helped her get dressed, as she puts on a classic, strapless, knee length, black, dress.

 

“Do I look pretty?”, she asks, fixing herself, as she sounded nervous, and yes, tired still. She went out early that day, and you know she hasn’t eaten anything yet.

 

“You are, as always.”, you smiled, brushing her long black hair.

 

She looked really beautiful, letting your eyes go up then down to your creation. Contented, you both smile in excitement. But you can’t help but be nervous on things like this.

 

Its pass 7 when you went out the powder room, as you both sat on a table reserved for MinJoo.

“My colleagues told me that this man is really handsome, charming, and….”, she said, sitting beside me, holding her bag full of her clothes she wore earlier.

 

“They are saying it, but we have to see him first before we agree things, right?”, you said, cutting her from what she was about to say,  looking at her with your eyebrow raised.

 

‘Come on ______________! You are so negative, thinking of things. You know I haven’t dated anyone since…”, she paused, looking down with a sad look on her face.

 

“I know, I know. I’m sorry, I just feel really nervous for you. I mean, things might fall at the wrong places again. I’m really scared.”, you say, concerned, then getting her things from her.

 

“________________, its about time you open your eyes and your heart. I know a lot of people who tried knocking at that heart of yours, but you never opened doors for anyone of them….”, she said, and this time she sounded serious.

 

This is the MinJoo you love as a friend, and as a sister. She can act as someone younger than you, being silly at times, but she can be what she is, that older sister who pays attention to what her younger friends/sister, letting them see what they are missing.

 

“…Try going into dates, meet new people, aside from your study buddies in school, aside from me. Spend more time outdoors, and you’ll never know, you’ll bump into someone you’ll soon fall in love with.”, she said, after taking another glass of water.

 

“I tried, but maybe its not yet the time for me to feel such things. It will surely come, but maybe not now. I’m still waiting for the right man to come.“, you said, smiling.

 

“Let me ask again that question I asked you few nights ago but in a different scenario this time. What if the right man comes in from the restaurant’s door, approaching you, and with a confident look from his eyes, his beautiful stares scream that he’s the man you’ve been waiting for? What are you going to do then?”,she asks, looking at you intently.

 

“I don’t know, I can’t think of any. Maybe when that happens, I’ll know the answer, and then I’ll let you know.”, you said, with assurance, playing with the fork, placed on the table.

 

“You are really something Miss _________________.”, she said, as she smirked.

 

Its already 7:23, and MinJoo still hasn’t arrived yet. Finishing another glass of water, she quickly gets up from her seat, and went to the wash room.

 

Feeling a little pissed, since the man isn’t here yet, and the fact that she let the a woman wait for her, for you it was disrespectful.

 

Getting MinJoo’s bag from her seat, you decided to fix the clothes she wore earlier, at the university. Folding them one by one, you didn’t notice, someone is coming.

 

The classy bistro opens its doors, as a  tall man in his early 20’s enters. Wearing that navy blue tux coat that stand out in his white v-neck shirt, and cream pants, made every employee look at the direction from where he was coming.

 

Hearing one of the employees greet someone, you look at the restaurant’s entrance, and saw a familiar figure. As the lady points at your table, you knew right then he was the man MinJoo will meet.

 

Approaching, you were stopped from what you are doing as you look at him in surprise, amazement.

 

He stands near you with a smile drawn on his lips, his face was the same, his eyes that are charming to look at, his hair that changed its style, the way he dressed up seemed normal for someone like him, but there was something different, from how he looks, how he reacts, and that smile, that smile you only see today, that smile you never saw at the church, that smile that you were waiting to see when MinJoo’s boss was getting married.

 

It was him, it was the man you saw at the wedding few weeks ago.

 

Staring at him, as he stands near you, your heart beats fast for the first time, you feel your cheeks heating up, as you don’t know what to do. You feel your heart swung open for the first time, letting out a different kind of emotion, running through your veins.

 

“You… you…you are…”, you said, stuttering, then rubbing your eyes, to see if what you are seeing is real.

 

And indeed, he is…

 

“I’m SeungHyun, Lee SeungHyun…”, he said, as he shows a single long stemmed rose, his hand is holding, looking at your pure, beautiful eyes.

 

“But, you can call me SeungRi…” he continued, smiling.

 

And it looks like someone found the key to your heart.