Chapter 7

Run Back To Me

 

“Are you busy tonight?” Luna asked Victoria as she approached the front desk of the Pediatric Center.

Looking through the clip board Victoria wrote something down then turned her attention to Luna. “Not really.”

“Good. A few of us were thinking of going out to eat dinner tonight. We were wondering if you wanted to join us. It’s a bunch of us going so just think of this as a chance for you to get to know other doctors and nurses from other departments.”

Thinking for a moment Victoria smiled “Hmmm…Yeah. That sounds like fun. Don’t mind if I join.”

“It’s also a good chance for others to get to know you better too. You always leave so quickly after your shift is over and during lunch you are always eating with the children here in the Pediatric Department that not many other staff members get a chance to talk to you. A few people have asked me if you were easy to get along with since you rarely talk and seemed strict. ”

“Haha. I must seem like a tight that seemed like a loner and doesn’t talk much, huh?”

Before Luna could say anything else Krystal interrupted “not that you are a loner or anything. People are just curious. The other departments have been talking about you for weeks now, saying how you wear this cool exterior mask and that you seem like someone that can’t be approach easily so they are all scared to talk to you. Also, you’re single, pretty, smart, and have a great body and yet you have no boyfriend. I guess you can say we are all just interested as to why you are still single and such. And besides a few male employees have been taking interest in you since the moment you entered the hospital, if you haven’t notice.”

“So basically you only want me there because you are curious and once you guys get all the background information on me you’ll quit talking to me?” Victoria smirked, teasing them.

“Not at all” Luna yelled. “It’s not that. It’s just that more people have been asking us to introduce you to them since they see us talking and stuff. We’ll still talk to you even if we know everything about you.”

Victoria couldn’t help, but laugh at how cute Luna’s acting. She was taking Victoria’s comment so seriously. “I was just joking with you guys. You guys can relax around me I won’t bite. I can be pretty playful sometimes too, you know?”

“It’s good to know that” Krystal smiled. “At first when you started here, you were so serious while working and you rarely interacted with us so we were kind of scared of you, but then when we saw how you interact with the children it was like you were a completely different person. We thought that wow, she’s also has a playful side when we saw you playing with the children. We kind of wished you were like that with us too.”

“Yeah” Amber said, agreeing with Krystal’s statement. “When you first came here you were really strict with us. You wanted things done a certain way and making us redo it if it wasn’t done properly. At that time I really thought that you had a face of an angel, but a personality of a demon.”

“Haha.” Victoria laughed, “I’ll try to be more playful. I just didn’t want to be a doctor that others wouldn’t take seriously that’s why I was being so stern with work related stuff in the beginning. I’m new and inexperienced compare to the other doctors so I didn’t want them thinking that I’m not fit for this job that’s all. I really like this job and didn’t want to mess up so I didn’t want to show my playful side.”

“We hope you can show that side more often. It’s nice to see you smiling and joking around with us,” Luna said as she looked at the other nurses then back at Victoria.

“Yeah” the other two said in unison as they nodded in agreement.

“Okay.” Victoria smiled at them. They were really nice and sweet to her when she first started work here. They were showing her around the Pediatric Center and introducing each child to her. She admits that she was strict on them, but she just didn’t want them or others thinking she can be easily pushed around just because she’s new. During her residency she was constantly being other’s lackey because she was new and it became very tiring. She just didn’t want to go through that experience again.

------

Once Victoria arrived at home after dinner she saw Gyuri sitting on the sofa with her laptop. “What are you doing up so late, Gyuri?”

Gyuri looked up from her laptop screen smiling at the sight of Victoria looking slightly tipsy, “did you drink?” Victoria nodded her head. “Whoa, you drank on a day where you’d have work the next day? Are you finally going through a rebellious phase at 26?” Gyuri loved teasing Victoria.

Victoria let out a soft chuckle as she sat down against the sofa cushion next to Gyuri. Looking over at the laptop screen Victoria saw all these pictures of hot guys. Opening her eyes widely she smirked, “boy hunting for an online boyfriend on the computer on a Friday night? Is this, what will become of your life in the future?”

Pushing Victoria playfully, “its’ work related. Don’t make me sound as desperate as to find a guy on some dating site or try online dating.”

Victoria tsk her lips and then shook her head and finger, “you are mistaken grasshopper. Now-a-days, people find love more online than face-to-face.”

“Well I want to see their face before seeing anything else. I don’t want someone who’s probably PSed (Photo shopped).” Victoria giggle then looked over at Gyuri’s computer screen again. Before Victoria could say anything else Gyuri spoke again “hey, I have this company event thing to go to want to go with me?”

“Are you asking me to be your date?” Victoria opened and gasped loudly, exaggerating her reaction. “OMG, the beautiful and gracious Gyuri is asking me to be her date. I feel so honored.”

Gyuri shoved Victoria’s head against the sofa cushion, “what a hateful expression.” Gyuri then pinched Victoria’s cheeks and continued “seriously, go with me. I need a French translator.”

“Ahhh so your motives are exposed. You didn’t want to ask me! You just needed me” Victoria continued to complain and frowned, playfully teasing Gyuri.

“Yeah. Yeah.”

“But why do you need a translator anyways?” asked Victoria curiously, “what type of event is this?”

“Well it’s a business function that my boss was invited to, but he couldn’t make it so I am going instead. I guess you can say it’s a type of gathering where I’d get a chance to gain some new ‘friends,’ social networking. My boss said there will be a lot of actors, actresses, models and business tycoon attending; not only from Korea, but from other countries as well so it’s like a chance for me to get myself out there as much as possible. This job is all about connects.”

“I see.” Victoria nodded then smirked as she teased Gyuri again “then will I get paid? I would like to be paid in cash every hour please. I don’t want to work for hours then get a bounced check at the end of the day.”

“I’ll pay you with love instead. I have lots of that” Gyuri winked. Before Victoria could reply, Gyuri continued in a serious tone “when’s your next off day? Let’s go dress shopping together.”

“What? I have to get dress up for this event? I bet the cost of that dress will be more than the pay I get for translating.”

“For a rich girl you sure are stingy with money.”

“RICH my , I’m poor.”

“Okay poor girl your fairy roommate will spurge on your stingy .”

“That’s all I ask.”

-------

Grinning widely upon seeing Victoria enter the living room in the outfit she had picked out, Gyuri whistled “hey there hot stuff.”

Victoria eyed Gyuri suspiciously “you knew I would never approve of such a short and tight dress that’s why you were being so secretive saying how you’d get me a dress since you rejected every dress I had tried on when we went shopping. If I had known the dress would look like this I would have just bought a dress myself.”

Victoria looked down at her dress. It was a black half-sleeved lace cocktail dress that was modest in the front, but was very y in the back. The front was a round necked dress, but the back of the dress was a deep v cut. The dress clung to her body not letting any air in between the fabric and her own skin. It was short, y, seductive looking and totally opposite of her taste.

“Hey now! Remember I am introducing you not only as my translator, but also as my roommate. I can’t be a working in a fashion magazine with a roommate who can’t dress herself.” Gyuri stood up and walked in circles around Victoria. Victoria rarely wore y clothing so it was a great change of pace.

“Are you saying my taste in clothing is horrible?”

“No. I just think my choices are better and besides there are tons of men who are bachelor at the party.” Gyuri shook her head then looked at herself up and down. She was wearing her newly bought red silk Lanvin dress, which was a one shoulder dress. The upper part of the dress was tightly knitted so it clung to her body whereas the bottom of the dress is more loose and playful with the silk fabric. I look pretty damn good myself, she thought as she smiled in approvable.

“…don’t tell me you got me this dress because there were unmarried men at the party” Victoria gave Gyuri a disapproving look.

“So what if I did? It’s too late to regret your choices at this point. You have already promised me you’d be my translator so just enjoy the party. And besides you look fabulous so don’t fret!” Before Victoria could say anymore Gyuri continued “we better leave before we arrive there late.” Gyuri ushered Victoria out the house and into the company car before Victoria change her mind about going. Truth was she didn’t really need Victoria to be there tonight. She just wanted her there. Before Victoria’s excuse for not dating was because she was busy with school, but now that Victoria has graduated, it’s a different story.  

Walking into the room where the event was held everything looked stunning. Whoever decorated this house had a good sense of style or that person must have hired a great interior designer, Victoria thought as she glanced around the room. The dark wooden floor against the ivory color walls made the flooring and the dark apple red curtains stand out. Along the sides of the walls, lights with a golden casing were installed between each set of curtains. The ceiling had one huge chandelier hanging, while several smaller chandeliers were scattered throughout the other areas of the ceiling.

There were many paintings and sculpture throughout the room. Whoever owns this house must be a collector of fine art pieces. Most of the paintings seem to be of scenery while the sculptures were all of people.

 The catering service offered an overflowing variety of food and wine. Waiters were walking around carrying them on different trays throughout the house and garden. It was like walking into a party set only for the rich and privilege. Everything looked so extravagant.

Gyuri pulled Victoria towards a couple of people standing by the huge window. The view from this window overlooked the city of Seoul at night. It made her gasps. It was beautiful and it reminded me of New York City at night.

“The view is to die for, huh?” Gyuri spoke as she handed Victoria a glass of wine she had just recently taken from a tray nearby.

“Yeah it’s marvelous.”

Before Victoria could say anything else a man walked over and greeted Gyuri then looked over at her. “And who is this breathe taking girl, Gyuri?”

“My roommate,” Gyuri smiled looking at Victoria. “Victoria this is Kevin Choi. Kevin this is Victoria Song, the girl I was telling you about a few days ago” Gyuri winked at the guy standing in front of them.

Victoria held her hand out to shake Kevin’s hand as Gyuri introduced them, but to her surprised he grabbed her hand and kissed it. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Victoria. I’ve heard so much about you from Gyuri. When Gyuri told me you’d be here tonight I couldn’t help feeling excited knowing I’d finally get to meet you.”

Victoria glanced over at Gyuri and raised her eyebrow. What was the deal with this dude? And why was he addressing her by her first name without hesitation. And why does meeting her make him feel excited? It made her wonder what have Gyuri been saying about her to this stranger. Pulling her hand from his gasp, Victoria tilted her head behind Gyuri and whispered “is there something you’d like to tell me?”

Gyuri whispered back, soft enough for only the two of them to hear “well, he’s single. You’re single so I thought it’d be a good idea to introduce you guys to each other that’s all.” Seeing Victoria frown Gyuri continued on “don’t give me that look. Just think of coming here with me as a way of expanding your friend network.”

Victoria pouted then hissed “do you even need a translator at all?”

Gyuri smiled at Kevin who’s staring at them intensely as they whisper back and forth. This must be awkward for him. “Kevin did you know Victoria’s really good at billiards, just like you. You guys should play each other sometime.”

Victoria’s lips pressed into a hard line. Elbowing Gyuri Victoria mouthed “answer me!” Gyuri stuck her tongue out and Victoria knew exactly what that answer meant. She got played by Gyuri. Gyuri didn’t need a translator. She just wanted to set Victoria up with someone from her company! Victoria should have known.

Ever since college Gyuri has made it her mission to make Victoria go on dates with different guys as a way to ‘expand the dating experience’ as Gyuri calls it since Victoria doesn’t have a lot of experience in that field. Gyuri always says, ‘it’s good to know how the game is played so you don’t get played.’ And besides that, Gyuri had always wanted to play the role of a matchmaker hoping that one day when Victoria finds her prince charming both her and Victoria will hold a double wedding together. How many frogs one must go through inorder to find their prince, Victoria thought as she shakes her head. If only it was that easy Gyuri, if only.

Even though she hated being matched up, Gyuri had good intentions taking her here so might as well not waste Gyuri’s effort, Victoria thought as she looked at her friend who’s boasting about her good traits and qualities to this stranger. Gyuri’s always so eager to help me find happiness. Taking a sip from her wine glass she looked up and smiled thinking of Gyuri.

As she looked up she caught a glimpse of two people from across the room staring at her intensely. Locking her eyes with them her smile instantly disappeared. One pair of eyes was from someone she feels nothing, but guilty towards, while another pair was from someone she feels nothing, but hatred towards.

 

 

 

[Author Side Notes] Finally the appearance of the three main characters all in one room! What will become of this meeting? =O From here on out there will be more of all three of them, but you’ll have to stay tune to the next chapter to find out what will happen. After the 7th chapter the story of our three main leads begins. In the next chapter we’ll find out what type of –toria fanfic this is. I hope those who had hoped for the opposite pairing won’t be too sad with my choice. Please enjoy it anyways!

I won’t be uploading any more chapters for this fanfic until I’m back from my Christmas vacation. I hope everyone enjoys their Christmas break and remember to keep warm. I want to thank everyone who have subscribed to my stories and have given me feedback. I enjoy reading the comments you guys have left me. I haven’t really had the time to thank each and every one of you since I’m a pretty lazy person, but I do want you to know I appreciate reading your comments. Anyways, happy holidays everyone!