Chapter 1

Run Back To Me

 

 

Standing at the bottom of the staircase I could hear the church bells ringing loud and clear above me. My surroundings seemed picture perfect. The sun was shining brightly and the weather was perfect today; warm with a gentle breeze. The birds were perched on the rooftop chirping one after another as though they are singing along with the ringing of bells.

Placing my hand on the railing I noticed that they were decorated with white and pink ribbons, twisting from the bottom of the railing to the top, forming a bow towards the end. How pretty, I thought as I walked up the stairs. Reaching the top of the staircase I notice several pots of white lilies lined up in a row paving its way to the church’s entrance.  

Standing in front of the church doors I could hear faint noises coming from behind them. I closed my eyes. Taking a deep breath I reached up feeling the cold door handle against my trembling hands. Mustering all my courage, I opened my eyes and yanked the door open. There he stood, the man I love hand-in-hand with his bride.

When our eyes met I could feel his icy glare piercing through me. Holding back my tears, I smiled at him then greeted him with a bow. He turned and looked away. What a cold hearted bastard, I thought bitterly.

Upon seeing m his bride rushed towards my direction screaming “What the hell are you doing here?” Before I could reply she was already standing in front of me. Narrowing her eyes, I could hear hatred and resentment in her voice, “Leave. Don’t you see you aren’t welcome here? Don’t you have any pride? He told you he doesn’t love you already, why are you still chasing him like a love sick puppy?”

I wanted to speak. I wanted to yell back, but the words wouldn’t come out. Looking at her, I kept asking myself why her and not me.

She pushed me out the church doors and continued pushing me until I could feel the first step of the staircase under my feet. Looking at me in a taunting way slowly curved into a half smirk “don’t you get it? He doesn’t love you. He never did.”

“You’re lying,” I whispered. Even I could hear the uncertainty in my voice.

Pulling my face closer to hers, she whispered “I’m the one he wants, not you.” And with one push from her, I felt my feet leaving the ground.

The last thing I saw before hitting the ground was him standing behind her with a smug look on his face. He mouthed to me saying “I. Have. Never. Loved. You.”

In an instant, everything turned dark.

========

Gasping heavily my body jerked up from its position as I opened my eyes to the complete darkness that surrounds me. I could hear my heart beating rapidly even through my heavy panting. I looked at my surroundings and realized that I was in my bedroom. Putting my trembling hands on my face I started to laugh hysterically. Through the laughter I could hear how shaken my voice sounded “It…was just…a… dream…Just a dream…,” I reassured myself. The laughter soon turned into a soft sobbing sound.

Bending my knee I rested my forehead on them. Wrapping my arms around my bent legs I cradled myself as I whispered through my sobs, “ you… It’s been years and yet you still manage to haunt me even now.”

The door pushed opened and Gyuri appeared. Gyuri rushed towards the sobbing girl in front of her. “Was it another bad dream?” Gyuri asked, wrapping her arms around her roommates shaken body. “It’ll be alright Victoria. I’m here. I’m here now.”

Opening her eyes Victoria saw Gyuri sleeping next to her on her bed. Trying to recall the memories of what happened, she sighs. You need to get a grip on things Victoria, she told herself. Stop getting yourself all wound up because of a bastard jerk like him. It’s been 10 years already, just let it go. Letting out another sigh, she closed her eyes and muttered to herself, “if only time could heal all wounds.”

Looking at the sleeping Gyuri, Victoria whispered “thanks Gyuri. Thanks for always being there for me. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” Victoria gave Gyuri a kiss on the forehead before looking over her shoulders at the clock on the wall 6:20 AM, it reads. Getting out of bed Victoria walked across the room. Opening the drawers she pulled out a hoodie and a pair of socks. After putting on the items, she left the room closing the door quietly behind her.

Grabbing the iPod from the table, she puts the ear buds in and pressed play. “Nothing more relaxing than a nice jog in the morning,” Victoria whispered to herself as she close the house door behind her and began jogging down the street.

After an hour of jogging Victoria decides to take a rest. Finding an empty bench in the park, she sat down and took a big sip of water from her water bottle. Closing her eyes, she tilted her head back and inhaled deeply, in the summer air. Her mind began to recall the dream from last night.

She didn’t know why she was having dreams about him again. She hasn’t dreamt about him for years now, so why now? Was it because she’s back in Korea now or is it because the distance between them suddenly shrunk? No longer is there an ocean between them.

Gyuri is the sole reason why she’s back in Korea now. Her best friend wanted to move back to Korea after graduation, but wanted her to come with. She only agreed because she feels she owes her friend at least this much for all that Gyuri has done for her. During those years where she drove herself insane trying to get over him, Gyuri was there to pick up the pieces of her broken heart.

 

[Flashback]

 “GYURI!” shouted Victoria as she quickly sprinted across the terminal floor heading towards her friend, who wore a puzzling facial expression.

“Victoria?” Gyuri asked questionably. “…is that really you? You look different.”

“Really, how so?”  Victoria looked herself up and down.

Avoid answering the question, Gyuri ushered Victoria towards the baggage claim area. “Let’s get your bag and get out of here. You must be hungry and tired.”

“I’m not that hungry, but I am feeling slightly sleepy.” Victoria linked her arms with Gyuri as they continued walking towards the baggage claim.

“You need to eat Victoria.”

Gyuri walked pass Victoria and turned around. Standing in front of Victoria, Gyuri grabbed both of Vic’s arms and squeezed. “I can’t even feel meat on your arms Vic, only skin and bones. You’re becoming too skinny and it looks unhealthy.”

Before Victoria could reply, Gyuri placed her hands on the side of Vic’s cheek. Staring into Vic’s eyes Gyuri couldn’t hide the sadness in her voice, “I couldn’t even recognize you earlier when you called out my name. Not only are you skin and bones, but you looked so lifeless walking towards me. You, who once smile and greet people warmly, now appear emotionless and empty. The sparks from your eyes has disappeared. It hasn’t been that long since I last saw you, no longer than a year. What could have happened to have caused…”

“Stop...” Victoria interrupts, not wanting to remember what had happened, “…please. Let’s not talk about this.” Pulling Gyuri’s hands away from her face, she grabbed it and walked towards the baggage claim.

========

“Why? Why? WHYYYYYYY!!!” shouted Victoria as she jerked her body upwards, panting loudly. Opening her tear filled eyes she looked around and realized she was in her room. She placed her hands over her crying face wiping the tears away.

The door jolted open and Gyuri came rushed towards her, “What’s wrong? I heard you screaming. Is everything okay?”

Trying to stabilize her breathing, Victoria looked up at Gyuri with tears still running down her cheeks, “It’s just a bad dream that’s all. I’m fine…just a bad dream.”

Gyuri wiping the tears from Victoria’s eyes, “Vic…you’ve been here for a month already. When are we going to talk about all this?”

Looking at her friend’s worried face Victoria didn’t know what to say or where to begin. It was just hard talking about it. After a few minutes of silences, Gyuri spoke “You know I love you. You know you could talk to me about anything.” Grabbed Victoria’s hands in hers, “I really hate seeing you like this. You hardly eat, and when you do it’s no more than a few bites. You don’t sleep much either. There are some nights where you’d wake up from a bad dream crying like today and then there are some nights where you’d cry yourself to sleep. I try to get you out of the house since summer vacation just began, but you wouldn’t go anywhere. You just lock yourself in your room all day listening to music. Where did the Victoria I once knew go? ”

Victoria looked at her friend and sighed. In a small soft mutter she spoke, “she died.”

Not knowing what to say, Gyuri sighs. After a few minutes, she squeezed Vic’s hands and spoke “I know you’ve probably been through a lot this past year, but just know that when you need someone to talk to I’m always there willing to listen.”

“Thanks for everything” Victoria whispered, “thank you for being so patient.”

[End of Flashback]

 

She started becoming her old self again because Gyuri was always there watching over her and being her support system when she needed it the most. Without her best friend she still might have been just another lost soul.

Inhaling another breath of fresh air Victoria opened her eyes and stretched out her arms, she wondered if Gyuri has woken up yet.

Looking at her watch, 8:15 it reads. Whoa it’s already this late, she thought. She better start heading home it’s almost time for breakfast. Standing up she mumbled under her breath, “Let’s make Gyuri her favorite breakfast today, omurice.”

 

 

 

[Author Side Note] I have already picked out the pairing for this fanfic. Some readers might be happy, others might be disappointed with my choice, but I still hope you’ll enjoy reading it regardless of the pairing.