Chapter 5

Run Back To Me

 

Two weeks have passed since the day Victoria ran out of the restaurant. Gyuri didn’t ask Victoria any questions regarding Kris or why she had ran away once they got home that day; it was like the incident had never happened. A part of Victoria had wanted to tell Gyuri what happened in her past and why she’s ran away now, but it’ll seem weird if she randomly brought up the subject without being asked.

When Victoria first moved in with Gyuri at the dorms, Gyuri was curious as to why Victoria was having nightmares almost every night. At that time Victoria didn’t want to talk about it, let alone think about it.

After awhile Gyuri realized how much this incident had hurt Victoria and she had stopped asking about it all together. Gyuri had once told Victoria that if the memories were too painful then she doesn’t want to know what had happened because she doesn’t want Victoria to remember those painful memories.

Back then it was too painful to remember because during that time she was trying to forget him, but now it’s different. It’s been years since then, she has grown and has moved on from that time. She has understood her mistakes and will never let anyone treat her like that again, no matter who they are. Maybe I’ll tell Gyuri one day if the timing is right, Victoria thought.

As Victoria got up from her bed she looked at the clock, 6:15 AM, it reads. She has to get ready for work soon. Today is her first day of work and she’s feeling really excited. She went to the hospital last week to talk to the director and explore the place she’ll be working at, the Pediatric Care Center located on the west wing of the Seoul National University Hospital. It was like a dream come true landing this job at the hospital because she didn’t have much experience aside from her required residency training.

Walking out of the shower with a towel wrapped around her body, Victoria looked through her closet carefully trying to pick out her first day of work outfit. First impressions are the most important so you have to dress to impress, she reminds herself. After several minutes she settled on a baby pink sleeveless button down blouse with a collar and a simple black pencil skirt to go with it. She checked her outfit and makeup in the mirror once more before leaving the room, “not bad” she muttered under her breath finally satisfied with her overall appearance.

Putting on her black pumps before leaving the house Victoria caught a glimpse of Gyuri walking towards her, still in her sleepwear. Giving Victoria a hug in her still half-asleep state, Gyuri spoke in a morning hoarse tone, “good luck and have fun on your first day. Remember to play nice with the other doctors and nurses.”

“Thanks.” Victoria hugged Gyuri back. “Hope you have a good day at work too.” It was already the start of Gyuri’s second week at work and Gyuri looked completely worn-out. Well then again, she always looked this way when the magazine’s publication deadline is only a few days away.

Standing up, Victoria walked towards the front door and turned around once more, she suddenly had the urge to tease Gyuri. Shouting loud enough so that Gyuri could hear her from the kitchen, “don’t overwork yourself too much Gyuri you’ll age faster that way. Guys don’t like girls who look older than their age.”

In response to Victoria, Gyuri opened the kitchen door just enough so that Victoria could see her flash her middle finger. It made Victoria laugh because Gyuri was always so moody in the early morning. It made it all the more fun to .

Sliding into her newly bought dark gray Mercedes Benz CLS coupe 2012, Victoria closed the door behind her and put the keys in the ignition. Securing the seatbelt over her body she the radio and shifted the gear to reverse, before driving off to work.

This car was one of her graduation presents from her parents. She didn’t even know they had bought her a car until last week when her mom called, telling her they had ordered her a car and she has to go pick it up at the dealership. When the car pulled up in front of her, that day, it was like love at first sight. The vehicle was perfect, it was fast. She always had a thing for fast cars. There was something about driving full speed with the wind blowing in your hair that made her forget all her worries. It excited her driving so fast.

 

------

 

“Did you hear?” asked one of nurses at the front desk. Usually a few nurses would gather at the Help Service desk early in the morning to share new gossips and rumors with one another. “What?” replied another nurse, putting the papers she was holding on the desk so she could listen more attentively, not wanting to miss any gossip.

“I heard that we are going to have a newcomer today and supposedly that person is a pediatric doctor,” the first nurse, looking through the computer, “I don’t know if that person is a female or male, but I heard that their resume is really good which is why the director hired that person straight out of college.”

Another nurse was walking by as she overheard the conversation. She chimed in right after the first nurse was done talking, “oh are you guys talking about the newcomer?” The nurses nodded then one asked “do you know anything about the new doctor?”

“Well I heard rumors saying that, that person is really smart and talented. It was said that they graduated at the top of their class, valedictorian. I also heard another rumor saying that, that person is multilingual they can speak Korean, Chinese, English and French fluently. That was one of the reasons why the director had hired that person.” After hearing this new piece of information the other nurses were oohing and ahhing in amazement.

“Ahh, I want that person to be a male, how great would that be?” “Ooh, I bet that person is really young and fresh, I wouldn’t mind having another eye candy to look at besides our handsome surgeon doctors.” “Does my hair look okay today? I hope it looks nice.” “I wonder if that person likes people with aegyo.” “Forget about aegyo, maybe we should try seducing that person with our appeal.”

Walking into the hospital Victoria walked over towards the front desk. It was only right to introduce herself as a newcomer, she told herself. Walking over, she overheard the nurses gossiping about her and let out a chuckle. “Sorry to disappoint all of you, but you’ll be getting a female doctor not a male. It might be hard to seduce me even if you use your cutest aegyo or show me that y charm.” Victoria winked at them then bowed in respect before walking away, leaving the nurses flabbergasted behind her.

“Ah you are here already Dr. Song, great timing. I wanted to introduce you to a few people before you start your first day of work,” said the hospital director, as he walked towards her with seven other people besides him. “Let me introduce you guys to our new pediatrician, Victoria Song. Victoria, these are our four most popular doctors we have here, Dr. Cho Kyuhyun our Cardiac surgeon, Dr. Shim Changmin our neurosurgeon, Dr. Choi Sulli our Gynecologist and Dr. Choi Minho our cardiologist. Also, these are the three nurses whom will be assisting you, Liu Amber, Jung Krystal and Park Luna. If you have any questions you could always ask one of them for help if I’m not around. ” Victoria shook each of their hands and exchanged greetings with them.

The first day of work was interesting. She met a lot of new patients and got to talk with a few other nurses and doctors. Overall everyone seemed really nice and the work environment was great. She’s glad she got the job working here.

 

------

 

“Ah Dr. Song, thank goodness I caught you just in time” Dr. Changmin caught Victoria by the arm as she was about to head out the hospital door. Letting go of Victoria’s arm Changmin continued, “I know it’s only your second week of work and we don’t really know each other and all, but I was wondering if you wanted to go see this presentation with me tonight.”

Victoria raised her eyebrow, unsure how she should answer this. Before she could come up with a reply, a voice interrupted her. “Are you stupid?” Dr. Kyuhyun was slowly walking towards them. “I swear you don’t know how to talk to girls at all, no wonder you’re still single after all these years. Your statement just now will lead to your demise with the opposite one day.” Kyuhyun came behind Changmin and pushed him playfully then Changmin playfully punched Kyuhyun back.

“You guys seem really close” Victoria said, smiling at the sight of them. It reminded her of how she and Gyuri were with one another.

Chuckling Kyuhyun replied, “I guess you can say that. We are rivals after all.”

“Rivals?”

“Yeah, Changmin and I have been rivals since high school. We’ve always been competing with each other over everything, and the funny thing is I have lost to him in everything whenever we compete except when it comes to competition regarding the opposite .” Kyuhyun pointed at Changmin then continued talking, “he might be good looking, tall, and smart, but he when it comes interacting with girls.”

Victoria giggled cutely which made Changmin turned red. Victoria nodded, “I see.” Then she looked at Changmin who looked shy, “if he doesn’t know how to interact with girls, how come he’s telling me to go on a date with him tonight?”

Under Victoria’s stare Changmin turned even redder than before, “..umm…you…umm…see.”

Before he could finish his sentence, Kyuhyun shoved his hand against Changmin’s head, “you shush. If you keep talking like that, the misunderstanding will become bigger.” Grinning at Victoria, Kyuhyun continued “you got the wrong idea. What he meant to say was that there is a doctor presentation being held at hotel nearby here and we were wondering if you wanted to join us? Usually they have this once every few years where famous doctors who have been working for years, talk about things that are really useful for younger doctors to understand. There is this doctor name Dr. Peter Robinson who’s really famous for his lectures among doctors.”

“Ahh I see. Hmmm…” thinking for a moment, Victoria continued, “I guess I’ll go with you guys. I really enjoy Dr. Robinsons, speeches. I’ve seen a few lectures he gave when I was in America. He’s really smart and knows what he’s talking about, it’s an eye opener for new doctors.”

“Really? I heard good things about his speeches too, how influential he is and such, but I never gotten the chance to hear him speak yet.” Kyuhyun said, sounding excitedly. “So let’s go now before we miss it, it starts in half an hour at the Sakura hotel (sorry couldn’t think of a cool name so you’ll just have to put up with this hotel name for now.) Do you want to go in the same car or should we just meet there?”

Victoria pulled out her phone to text Gyuri that she’ll be late tonight, “I’ll meet you there. I know where that hotel is.”

After the presentation was over, Changmin and Kyuhyun invited Victoria to dinner so they could discuss the presentation, but Victoria decline their offer. She said she had to get home because her roommate had already made dinner reservation for tonight.

Giving her ticket to the valet, they went and grab her car for her.

 

-------

 

At the hotel lobby, Siwon was reading a packet while talking to his assistant. At the corner of his eyes, he felt something strange. Looking up he saw a girl with long hair standing infront of the hotel. Probably waiting for her car, he thought. He looked back down at his papers then at the girl next to him. “Hyuna, did you talk to Kris about the overseas hotel expansion yet?” Siwon asked.

Although he’s supposed to be looking at Hyuna while asking her the question he finds himself looking at that girl again. “Yeah, we’re working on the minor details regarding it” Hyuna looked at Siwon who was staring at the hotel entrance, “what are you staring at so intensely?”

“I don’t know” Siwon said, feeling uneasy, “I feel like I know that person, but somehow I don’t think I do.”

“Are you talking about those guys or that girl?” Hyuna looked at the entrance once more before looking back at Siwon, “if it’s those guys, then I don’t know, but that girl could have probably been one of the girls you’ve ed in the past or something.”

“That’s not it” Siwon looking at the girl again, then back at the packet in his hands, trying to concentrate “I just sense something strange about her. Anyways, let’s continue.” Flipping through the packet he spoke in his business tone voice, “this proposition doesn’t look so bad, but I want you to bring up a few minor adjustments with Kris when you see him this week. I’d like there to be a water fountain at the front entrance and I’d like…” for some reason he felt the urge to look up at the girl once more. Looking towards her direction he stopped in the middle of his sentences, dropping the papers in his hands.

“Geez. What’s up with you? Why are you being so clumsy,” Hyuna bent down picking up the papers along with Siwon’s assistant.

The valet parker got out of the car and Victoria smiled at him and got in the car, just as Siwon caught a glimpse of her face standing infront of her car door waiting for the valet parker to get out. Siwon can’t believe what he’s seeing, Victoria is here. She’s here, here in Korea. “Victoria…” he heard himself say under his breath, still unable to believe the situation.

Standing up instantly, Hyuna also caught a glimpse of Victoria before she got inside her car, “No way! It really Victoria”

Seeing as how he’s not the only one seeing her, Siwon came back to his senses. She’s really here. She’s back. Without hesitation he rushed towards the hotel entrance chasing after the car.

 

 

[Author Side Notes] Will he be able to catch up to her? Who is the person Victoria is actually in love with, Kris or Siwon? Find out soon in the upcoming chapters.

This will be my last chapter for the upcoming weeks until finals are over. After that I'll update all of my fanfics with one chapter before going on my Winter vacation.