The Flower and The River

The Flower and The River

 

 I remember once, when I was a small boy. My mother was out to the store while my father was napping in the house after his work.

I was left alone in the house with my brother, who still a small toddler, and we were running around in my home. I was chasing him while he would try to climb chairs and tables to get away from me. We were having a fun time, giggling like children do. But then my baby brother climbed on top of the dresser in my room, it was tall and old. I was laughing at him as he made faced down at me. And as he was laughing also, he lost his balance.

My world had stilled then too. In slow motion his eyes widened, his body leaning and falling in to the open air. Instantly, with out hesitance, my hand shot out, my legs ran forward.

I wasn't sure how I was going to save him, how to help him correctly, but my arms shot out and I grabbed for him. Any part of him I could get a hold of to stop him from falling. And luckily my fingers hooked around the collar of his shirt, and that was enough to pull and get enough strength from my arm to pause his falling. I could wrapped my other arm around his small body and pulled him up off the dresser and in to my chest.

When my mother arrived home she panicked, asking why her youngest son was screaming his head off and why her husband wasn't doing anything. I lied, told her he was just hungry. I felt guilty then, stupid for letting my baby brother get in to harms way. I didn't tell her was crying from fear of falling down and almost causing serious harm to himself.

The only reason my brother hadn't cracked his head open on our stone floor was the fact that I'd reached out fast enough, that fact that my fingers had gotten lucky and hooked on to the fabric of his shirt.

It was the same with that basket in the river.

 

I didn't feel the water that I'd dived in to, or the whack to my knee as it hit a stone a few feet below me. I didn't realized I hadn't fallen all the way in because of a tight grip on my wrist.

All I felt was the immense relief, because my middle finger had hooked itself right on the edge of the basket and stopped it from flowing downstream.

The baby was safe, I had it in my little finger's grasp.

It took me a moment to take it all in. with the adrenaline pumping in my system I was on high alert, but yet I didn't know what was going on around me. All I saw was the basket. All I cared about was that basket. When I realized I was in the water and how it was actually extremely cold a violent shiver flew up my body. My legs automatically began kicking to keep myself afloat. The thought that I might drown entered my head, the feel of pressure from the river's tides pushing at me brought on a new sense of panic that I pushed roughly to the back of my brain.

I laughed lightly at myself, all the anxiety that had troubled me through out the day leaving my body with the sight of that basket. It was safe, nothing bad was going to happen to the baby inside. I felt the whirl wind of my uneasiness come to an immediate stop. Everything was going to be okay.

Well, beside me being in a rapid freezing river.

“Minseok!” a broken voice grunted to me. Turning my head back I was surprised at the sight.

Yixing's hand was tightly holding on to my wrist, he must've grabbed on to it right as I jumped in. His face was strained as he held on to me and the basket, the water's force was trying to pull me further down, he was using all of his strength to not let that happen. I could see Jongdae behind him, his hands were tightly wrapped around Yixing's other arm as he leaned back, his feet were planted in to the rock beneath him as he tried not to slip and keep a hold on us.

I thought humorously for a brief second: Ah that's why I'm not drowning!

The babies let out an audible shriek as a wave of cold water fell in to its wooden crib and soaked in to it's blanket, pulling my attention and letting me remember why I had jumped in to this river in the first place.

I pulled the basket with my finger closer to me, I felt the pain of the skin stretching as if fought against the immense strength of the rapids, but I finally got the basket up against my chest. The babies screams had turned in to broken cries, it was still afraid, still in pain. I saw a small bundle of cloth inside the basket, small hands flexing in time with the crying. I placed my hand inside, trying my best to comfort the wiggling form as it thrashed the best it could to try and save itself.

My body was slowly pulled, Yixing was grunting as he reeled us in.

He stumbled a few times, his feet slipping on the damp rock beneath him. I eventually was able to place the basket safely on to the rock next to Yixing and then I focused on getting myself out. Both Jongdae and Yixing helped me up. I ordered Jongdae to take the basket up to the higher ground while Yixing helped me as we climbed up the boulders in the pouring rain.

It was when I reached the surface did my body start shaking, my tears start flowing. I wasn't sure what I felt then; scared, relief, shock?

And I wasn't sure what Wu Fan felt either as his body smashed in to mine. I wasn't exactly sure, but I guessed anger was in there somewhere as he was screamed at me, his hands holding my face not so softly, his face was contorted with emotions. He was crying and scolding me, telling me I was so stupid, how could I do that to him?

I said don't go down there! Why don't you listen to me?!” his screaming bobbed up and down as his crying masked it. He held me so tightly then, his body shaking and my body shaking. I told him I was sorry, so sorry. I never wanted to hurt him or worry him.

“Wu Fan I'm sorry I had to!” I tried to explain, but I was cut off by his rough kisses. I thought for sure I would get bruises with the way his fingers pressed in to my skin, trying to mold us together, making sure I was still alive. We stood in the rain for awhile, as his body stopped shaking and his breath evened he looked down at me again. His eyes pierced right through me.

“Don't you dare do that ever again. Do you hear me?” the anger, the passion, the sincerity in his eyes suffocated me. I was speechless, I nodded.

“I can't lose you. I refuse.” he emitted. And I kissed the hot tears that flowed down his face again. I could only apologized over and over again. I was sorry, but as I heard the small cries again coming from Jongdae's arms, then again I wasn't.

“Come one, we should get inside.” Yixing called to us.

Wu Fan broke away from me and ran over to envelop his brother in a tight hug. He thanked him, told him he loved him so much. And even though Yixing acted like it was nothing I saw his eyes grow moist as well. Wu Fan held me by his side as we walked back home, Luhan held the baby and tried to get it calm down and stop crying. I smiled when I looked back at the river to see Yixing briefly pull Jongdae close to him and place a sweet kiss on the younger's forehead before they discretely linked their pinkie fingers and began following behind us.

The baby didn't stop crying as we went back. Luhan had taken the baby out of the basket, holding it close to him in only the blanket it had been left in. Even though it was now safe, it was still upset. Jongdae took a turn, cooing it and shushing it. The crying did not cease. Luhan patted it's back, put his finger in it's mouth to see if it was hungry. Nothing worked. It should have been annoying, but for some reason we were all smiling widely as it continued to cry and whine. Especially Luhan who got a kick out of imitating it with faces and fake crying.

~ ~ ~

“It's a boy!” Luhan cried from the bathroom.

Wu Fan's chest rumbled with his laughing. I smiled lightly at Luhan's enthusiasm. We'd come home and Luhan had walked straight in to the bathroom to grab a towel and begin drying the baby off. Wu Fan and I were tucked together on one of the ugly couches. On the other couch Yixing sat quietly with his arm slung around Jongdae's shoulders. The two had been attached to one another since leaving the river. We could all hear Luhan talking to the baby boy, even as it continued to cry and be fussy his voice was cheerful.

“Yes yes I know baby the towel is scratchy! Blame Fannie for that okay?” the excited voice called over the babies screams. Although the screaming wasn't extremely loud and ear clenching, it was still crying none the less. Luhan brought him in to the living room wrapped in a deep blue blanket, a smile still on his face as the baby wriggled in his arms in defiance. His little face was pink, his little lips open in a small 'o' as he continued to cry.

“You know for a newborn he's pretty active.” Luhan laughed, “here Minseok you hold him.” he held out the crying child to me. I tenderly held the baby in my arms, his little eyes were closed and his cheeks tinted pink. His tiny nose scrunched slightly as his cries turned in to small mumbling noises, and his cheek pressed in to my chest.

I carefully caressed his tiny face with the back of my fingers, I marveled at how smooth and soft his skin was. He was so tiny I thought I would break him if I put any more pressure on him.

And then my whole world changed. I fell in love.

As my index finger came near his mouth he opened it, and his hands reached up and got the best grip they could, bringing my finger to his mouth and on it lightly. He made this sound, like a gurgle, but a happy one. I watched in awe as the baby stopped crying all together and fell asleep. He fell asleep in my arms on my finger as if it were a bottle, his rosy cheeks puffing slightly.

I loved him.

Could you love someone that fast? Was that possible?

And the thoughts came pouring in to my mind and in to my heart; I love this baby the most. Above Wu Fan, above my family, above my life. I loved him so much...was that...could that happen?

“Well I guess that makes you the mother.” Luhan nodded to himself. I couldn't break my stare from the tiny thing in my arms. He was so beautiful, so precious, so amazing. I didn't realize I was smiling until Wu Fan's hand pinched my cheek lightly. I looked up at him, still in wonder. Did he see the this perfect thing in my arms? Wu Fan was smiling at me as I smiled at the baby, he was smiling at me holding this baby in my arms. We were smiling together, and I didn't know what that meant. I just knew I was extremely happy in that moment.

The small fantasy of having a family sparked in the back of my mind.

“What do we do now? He was obviously left on purpose.” Jongdae voiced and I small flash of anger shot through me. “How do you know that? Maybe it was an accident.” I scowled. I didn't want to believe that someone had purposefully left this amazing being. How could someone leave him? He was so cute, so innocent, so beautiful.

“There was a plumeria flower in his basket Minseok.” Yixing murmured.

My face fell. I remembered Yixing's story of Ani. How she'd put plumeria's in her baby's basket to symbolize her love right before she'd been forced to put her baby in the same river.

“But I don't get it,” Luhan huffed and down next to me, “those times are far gone. Why would someone abandon a baby now?” his big eyes looked at me in question. I shook my head, because I really didn't have an answer. I especially didn't understand someone leaving this cute little guy behind.

I couldn't help myself, I kissed his small face quickly and retreated with a wide smile on my face.

“He's so perfect.” I murmured. Every little move he made was perfect, ever little twitch of his skin was perfect. The way he was breathing and gurgling and just...living. He was perfect.

I really loved this baby. I'd just met him, and I was ready to give him my heart and anything else he wanted. His hands let go of my finger, opting for the fabric of my shirt instead.

“We should keep him.” Luhan was just an idea bank that night. My neck snapped up to look at him in shock. Keep him? Like keep keep him?

“What do you mean keep him?” Yixing voiced my thoughts exactly. I nodded, what did Luhan mean?

“I think you should raise him Minseok,” Luhan explained what he meant by 'keep'. “You can be his Mama and Wu Fan is Papa!” Luhan was smiling so proudly and confidently.

My mouth fell open as a gate of fear opened up. Me? Raise this baby?

“Okay okay slow down Hannie you're scaring him.” Wu Fan's laugh made me more uneasy. Why was he laughing? Was this funny to him? We'd literally just found this baby in the freaking river and I'd just fallen in love with him and now I was...a parent? Too fast. Way too fast.

“We should talk to Ani about this.” Wu Fan suggested. I nodded eagerly, now that was a good idea.

“He'll have to stay here tonight though, we can't make the trip with him in this rain.” Jongdae pointed out. That was true.

“I'll take the horse in to town real fast, he can't drink regular milk yet.” Yixing offered, Jongdae said he'd go with him. After they took off to the town to see what they could get my husband sent Luhan in to our bedroom to try and make a temporary crib for the baby to sleep in.

Wu Fan and I were left alone with the baby, he slept quietly in my arms. I was too busy staring at the baby boy to notice Wu Fan staring at me with the same look. I was in complete awe, totally entranced, and so was he.

I just didn't understand it, but I did. I loved this baby. I'd been worried about him since I'd woken up, I'd felt the overwhelming need to get to him by the river, risked my life for him with out a second's thought. And I just knew that I'd be willing to do that for him every day for the rest of my life.

“I think we could do it.” Wu Fan said after we sat there for awhile. I felt his hands run through my hair gently, I looked over to him to see his eyes giving me a soft stare. But I was slightly confused by his sentence. Do what?

“What do you mean?” I asked. A small smile formed on his lips as he leaned closer to me. He kissed me lightly and then looked down at the bundle in my arms, “I think we could raise him.” his words sent my heart tripping and stumbling. Raise him? Wu Fan wanted to raise him? The last I remembered Wu Fan wasn't ready for children yet. Why was he ready now? Because I was holding on in my arms?

“Wu Fan...what?” I was loosing my breath. Was he serious? His eyes told me he was, the way he gently ran his fingers over the baby's nose told me he was dead serious in fact. I was so excited to think he was serious but I was so ing scared at the same time.

“I know you're scared, you weren't expecting this. I wasn't either.” he shrugged while still looking down at the little boy with that soft stare. He looked back at me, and I saw his certainty.

“But I know you love him already.” those words were very true. My heart clenched at the fact that he knew me so well. Was it the way I couldn't stop looking at him? Was I that obvious? Wu Fan smiled wider then, “And he is pretty cute,” he nodded and I laughed.

“Isn't he though? Look at his nose, and his cheeks and his little eyes!” I cooed at the sleeping face below me. Wu Fan agreed, and then he stayed quiet and let me think. Because damn it he knew me so well that he knew when to shut up so I could think.

I bit my lip as the current situation sunk in. Me, a parent. The parent, the guardian, the protector of this baby? But what if I didn't do a good job? What if I screwed everything up? If a made him sick, or he got hurt, or he ended up being sad? What would I do?

It wasn't that I didn't want to, I did. Every fiber of my being wanted to keep him forever and make him happy and smile and love him. Yes I just couldn't wait to see his little life unfold and love him with everything I had. I was so excited by the idea that he could be apart of my life, that I could wake up to his little smile and comfort him when he cried and maybe one day he'd call me Appa?

But the fear, the nervousness. Quite honestly I was scared less.

“I'll be right here, we're in this together.” Wu Fan's comfort eased me in to peace. My husband nuzzled my face and sighed deeply. “I'm ready if you are my love. Just say the word and he's ours.” my heart leaped with that thought. The way he said 'ours', it warmed me all over. It made my decision so much easier, with the way he put his arms around me and the baby; like it was natural, like he'd been born to do that all along.

“We're going to have to work very hard. I'm never going to give up on him.” I proclaimed even though I was still unsure. This was happening very fast, but I was so excited and I wanted him. I wanted this baby to be mine. Selfishly I was ready to keep him and raise him and love him. My husband's gummy smile came out as he agreed with my words.

“I know you won't.” he said. And there was one more thing;

“Wu Fan... I think I love him more than I love you...is that supposed to happen so fast?” admitting that out loud was kind of scary, but I didn't feel guilty. Wu Fan's smile didn't even falter.

“Of course it is. It's a good thing. That means we're supposed to keep him. It means this is how it's supposed to be.” and his hand caressing my face enforced that feeling. And his next words completed my thoughts, made all my fear and nerves settle for awhile and made my final decision.

“That means he's your son.” he whispered against my lips. His kiss was hopeful, excited, supportive.

If I wanted to keep this baby Wu Fan was going to help me, he was going to support me in any way possible. And by the way he kept staring down at him I knew he was just as excited as I was. He wanted the baby too.

“We can be a family?” my voice was shy, squeaking and I felt the blush in my ears as my heart accelerated. Wu Fan nodded.

“We're a family. Me, you, and this guy.” he smiled at me. I smiled at him. We were both smiling, but this time I knew what it meant. It meant we were a family.

~ ~ ~

“He smells like river water.” Luhan complained.

“We should give him a name.” Jongdae chimed in.

“Is Yixing done with the bottle?” Wu Fan asked.

“Look at his little nose!” I squealed.

I heard Yixing walking back in from the kitchen. He and Jongdae had smartly gotten bottles, formula, diapers, and many blankets made to wrap infants in comfort. Jongdae had been gracious enough to buy everything in either navy blue or dark blue; my favorite color. When the baby had awoken he had begun to cry immediately. Luckily Yixing and Jongdae were already home, so Yixing had gone in to the kitchen to make a bottle for him. I let the baby on my thumb in the meantime.

Now that he was awake and not crying so much I could see his little eyes as they moved back and forth. I knew from experience with my mother and my baby brother that right then he couldn't see anything, except for 12 inches in front of him. “That's the distance from your heart to your face. That's why mommies always hold their babies a lot.” my mother had explained to plainly.

I had him in my arms again, I pushed him up so his head was right over my heart. I wiggled in excitement when I watched his eyes focus on me. He didn't smile or cry then, he just stared at me. And he kept staring, even when I put the bottle in his mouth. As he drank his milk he continued to stare quietly, I noticed how incredibly black his eyes were, like midnight skies.

“So,” Luhan's voice was very suggestive, “this means I have a nephew or what?” I laughed at his grinning face. I shared a look with Wu Fan and we told him, yes, we were going to keep him. I laughed harder at his mini-celebration of fist pumps and dancing.

“You still need to name him.” Jongdae reminded. This was true, so far we'd just called him 'the baby'. I looked to my husband, what were we supposed to call him. The smirk on Wu Fan's face told me he had ideas, I told him to spit out already because I didn't have any ideas.

“Can we give him a Chinese name?” he checked and I nodded. I didn't mind that at all. With my approval Wu Fan began to exchange looks with his fellow Chinese men. I didn't pay attention to them too much, I was fascinated with the way my baby was blinking. He was still calmly staring at me and I stared back. I was staring at him with love and in awe. He seemed more like he was getting to know me, to know my face. As his tiny hand held on to my shirt I assumed he was getting used to the feeling of me as well.

“Give him a two part name. It'll make him sound more important.” Yixing voiced and Wu Fan agreed and added, “I think the first part of his name should be....Rui.” he smiled.

The loud gasp that left Luhan made me look up in alarm. I thought he'd been hurt, but he wasn't. He was shocked and looking at Wu Fan with wide eyes. I didn't understand what Wu Fan had said, I kind of liked the name Rui.

“What is it? What does that mean?” I questioned as the silence grew. Luhan was looking at Wu Fan with gratitude and shock, while Wu Fan just shrugged and smiled. But they still weren't answering me.

“Ya! What does that name mean? Luhan?” I called. He snapped out of his trance and explained to me in a hushed voice that the name Rui meant precious life, just like a gem. I loved it, and didn't get what all the fuss was for...

“Hello Rui.” I cooed and the baby's eyes searched my face back and forth.

Wu Fan explained to me later that night that Rui was the name of Luhan's little sister.

“My perfect Rui, I love you.” I smiled at him. When he began to turn his head away from his bottle, and I took it he was done eating. “I'm supposed to burp him now right?” I checked from my memory about babies. Jongdae smiled widely and skipped over to my side.

“Can I?” he offered. I easily put Rui in his hold.

While Jongdae firmly patted the baby's back I turned to Wu Fan, “you said a two part name?” I questioned. He pecked my lips and smiled.

“I already know the second part.” he informed me, “Jing.” he stated proudly. I saw Yixing make an understanding face. What did that mean?

“He's kind of making fun of you Minseok. You keep mumbling 'perfect' to the baby over and over again.” Yixing told me. I scrunched my face in question.

“Jing means a calm quiet energy, perfect.” Luhan added for me. I hummed my approval, so what if Wu Fan made fun of me, it's exactly what the baby was. He was perfect.

“Rui Jing?” I checked. Yes, we all agreed. That was the baby's name. Rui Jing; A perfect and precious life, like a precious gem.

~ ~ ~

“If you breath hard enough you'll wake him up.” Wu Fan whispered loudly to me. I shushed him and swatted his hand away that came to poke my face. It was night time and the trio had gone to their hut for sleep. Wu Fan and I were laying in bed together, Rui Jing was sleeping right in between us. Luhan hadn't bothered with actually making a crib for him. Apparently he'd already known I was going to keep Rui, so the best place for the baby to sleep was on our bed with us; hence no point in making a crib. I'd placed two of our pillows on either side of Rui, he was wrapped tightly in one of the many blue blankets Jongdae had gotten for him. My face was lying flat down next to his sleeping form, literally my nose was a few centimeters from his tiny nose. I could feel the barely there wind of his breath on my face. I saw his nose twitch as he slept, and I noticed the most adorable thing. When Rui slept, he didn't his thumb, or on a blanket or anything. He on his bottom lip. His bottom lip went in and out of his mouth while he slept soundly and I just thought it was the most precious thing in the whole world.

“He's so perfect.” I murmured once again. Because really I couldn't get over it.

“We can turn your private room in to his. Get a crib and all that.” Wu Fan said. He too had laid his head down at the same level, his eyes peeking over Rui's head and looking at mine. I hummed in agreement. Wu Fan reached for me, over the baby and ran his hands through my hair like he always did.

“I love you.” he whispered.

“I love you.” I smiled.

We cuddled closer to the Rui, side by side. I had good dreams that night, I slept peacefully and in the morning when I opened my eyes I'd never been so happy with the sight before me.

Rui was still sleeping with his face toward me, his bottom lip still in. But he wasn't laying beside me anymore. He was snuggled on to Wu Fan's chest, his face right under Wu Fan's chin. Wu Fan had one hand placed on the Rui's back to keep him there. I didn't stop staring until Rui woke up crying, and Wu Fan gladly handed him over to me and went back to sleep.

~ ~ ~

“He's so beautiful.” Ani kissed Rui's head sweetly. I leaned on her shoulder and nodded. I knew that she of all people would understand what I'd felt while looking at him.

To our surprise the next day the skies were completely clear, the sun shined brightly and brought the usual heat down on us all. Yixing smartly wrapped up Rui in one of his blankets and placed him in his old schoolbag that I could strap around me as we went. Rui looked quite cute in the little backpack against my chest. He was light and it wasn't a hard journey.

When we arrived Ani stared at Rui like he was a ghost. She kissed me a million times and then Wu Fan a few million more. Rui didn't stir in her arms, he stared at her like he did me. Ani was close to tears when she learned where we'd found him. I couldn't imagine what she was feeling.

I'd fed Rui another bottle and Ani had made us a quick lunch and we all sat around in her living room. I watched in envy how easily she took care of Rui, she knew exactly what to do and when to do it. Her maternal nature came out naturally as she patted his back and he gurgled in satisfaction.

“You will do great Minseok,” Ani noticed my small pout, “stop worrying so much.” she advised. I huffed a reply and reached for Rui. She gave him back to me and I held him close to my heart again.

“So! You came for an experts help yes?” she checked, she was always a person to get straight to the point. I nodded eagerly and readied myself to listen.

She told me important things to remember. Like how much he needed to sleep; he was going to do it on his own but through out the day and not all at once. She told me how much he needed to eat which Jongdae was amazed at because technically the baby was going to be eating more than him. I learned how much I was going to need to change his diaper. Wu Fan gave me a look, like he wasn't going to be doing that. Oh we would see about that. She informed me that Rui's eyes would stay closed for the most part since he is still adjusting. She showed me where the soft spot on his head was, and to be careful of it. She told me how to give him a proper bath, what temperature the water should be and how many times a week I should.

She told me little things to remember as well; babies like to on things because it comforts them. If I could get a pacifier it would be better but someone’s finger would do just fine. He wasn't going to smile at me for a few weeks, but he'd still feel all of the affection I gave him. I should prepare myself to fall asleep with him on top of me for awhile and not in any crib we get him until he was a little older.

We enjoyed the day together all of us, each of the trio took turns making faces at Rui. Although just as Ani had said Rui didn't give much of a response. He either blankly stared or closed his eyes and cried. Which resulted in either me or Wu Fan holding him until he went back to sleep.

 

A small tug on his shirt made Minseok look away from the journal he was writing in and look to his left. Rui Jing stood there with his hair like a bird's nest and sleepy eyes. Minseok smiled at the fact that Rui's bottom lip was still tucked in to his mouth because the little boy was still half asleep.

“Morning Appa.” the tiny boy croaked. He didn't even ask, he just crawled in to Minseok's lap and rested his head on his Appa's shoulder. Minseok placed a sweet kiss on his son's head and closed up the journal to focus his attention on him.

“You woke up on your own?” Minseok asked a bit surprised, but he ended up laughing when Rui shook his head and groaned unhappily. Just then Kris walked in with in, pajama pants still on and dark sweater wrapped around him. His eyes were thing slits as he yawned and quickly pecked Minsoek on the lips and then patted their son's back.

“Rui I said go take a shower not go back to sleep.” he told the little boy who groaned again and snuggled in to his Appa's warm hug. “Dad! Just 5 more hours!” Rui cried. Kris laughed and pulled the sleepy boy out of Minseok's arms and over his shoulder.

“The line is five more minutes not hours xiao baoshi!” he laughed and carried the child in to the bathroom. Minseok heard the shower water begin to run and rose himself to get some breakfast started for his son for when he was done showering.

He sighed in comfort as strong arms hugged him from behind. “Good morning,” Kris hummed against Minseok's temple with a kiss.

“Morning. You want coffee?” Minseok asked as he turned around to hug his husband face to face. Kris grimaced at the mention of coffe.

“Ugh, okay whatever go drink your stupid organic juice then.” Minseok rolled his eyes. His husband smiled and kissed him before walking to the fridge to get his juice.

It was after Rui had gotten out of the shower and was eating his breakfast when he asked what Minseok had been writing about in the journal that morning.

“About you.” Minseok replied with a smile and handed over the syrup to his son. After Rui managed to stuff half a pancake in to his small mouth he asked his Appa,

“Ahbow how uuh phounn me?” Minseok giggled at the face Rui made, looking like a puffer fish.

“Yes little gem about how I found you.” he poured milk in to his son's cup.

“I'm glad you found me Appa. I wouldn't of liked living at the river. I like it here with you.” Rui spoke simply and smiled. He was missing a tooth Minseok noticed and wondered when that had happened.

“I'm glad you do. I like having you around. You're really good at doing dishes.” Minseok hinted and watched in amusement as Rui's big smile snapped in to a frown. “I love you little gem.” he said and kissed his son's adorable cheeks.

He was very happy he'd found Rui Jing that day, otherwise his life wouldn't be complete.

“Can I read the journal after I do the dishes?” Rui checked, but Minseok shook his head.

“I'm not done with the part I'm on. I have to tell you about how you grew up.” he informed the little boy. Rui nodded and continued to eat his pancakes. A smudge of syrup stayed in the corner of his mouth, and he'd grown his own milk mustache. With a milk and syrup covered face, clean but untidy black hair and puffy pink cheeks full of pancakes, Minseok was pretty happy that he'd heard his baby's crying that day. And that he'd chosen to keep him.

“Appa there's no more in the journal right?” Rui tried to sound like he was scolding Minseok. Minsoek scowled at the word '' coming from his son's mouth again

Yes, so happy he'd decided to keep him.