Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Secret Love

 

 

Hyunae tried not to fall in love with him. She knew all he saw her as was a sister, so she tried really hard to void her feelings for him. But it was terribly hard not to when Yongguk treated her the way he did. He treated her like she was a royal princess. He did everything for her, like he was afraid she will be tainted with dirt. After so many years of disregarding her feelings for him, she just gave up and followed what her heart was telling her. So she let herself fall deeper and deeper into a pit of one-sided love for him. Hyunae figured that since he knew her so well that eventually, he'll notice her feelings for him and hoped that he'll return them as well.

 

But as years went by, her unrequited love for him were overlooked. He would treat her like she was his world, yet hooked up with other girls almost everyday. He went to parties and clubs every weekends and always ended up either waking up on his bed or in someone elses bed with a girl next to him. But Hyunae didn't care. She was bothered by that of course, but she didn't care. Why? Because she loves him. No matter how oblivious and ignorant he was of her feelings, Hyunae didn't care. She was happy as long as he was with her. As long as he was there physically and emotionally, even though his heart was not.

 

She let her feelings go on unnoticed by him, but the day he seem to have fallen in love with her new friend was the day she doubted her ability to keep on loving him. When Yongguk made his admiration for Nana obvious, Hyunae knew she had lost badly. The way he was so persistent about Nana, Hyunae knew that he has fallen for her. The day they made it offical and announced it to the whole world that they were a couple was the day Hyunae made the decision on breaking her long unrequited love for him.

 

Hyunae figured that if she lasted six years of being in love with him, then it'll be easy to forget about him as well. Or so she thought.

 

To her, hate is a very strong word. So she thought that if she tried hard enough to hate him, then all her feelings would soon fade away. Since she barely saw him in the time period of him being with Nana, Hyunae thought that she could get over him quickly. But she forgot about that one saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." The more he was away from her, the more she misses him. Hyunae tried to forget and not think about him, but everything reminded her of Yongguk. Half of her things in her bedroom were given by him. The stuffed animals that occupied half of her bed, the picture frames of them since childhood to now, the little ornaments on her table, and even the pens, pencils and her sketchbook were given by him.

 

Everywhere she went, she was reminded of him. Everything she did, she was reminded of him. Everything she looked at, she was reminded of him. Her whole world revolved around him.

 

The more his absence, the more she misses.

 

Hyunae felt so pathetic because of this. 

 

To her, it was just so damn difficult to not fall in love with a man named Bang Yongguk.

 

---

 

"Annyeongha...seyo" Hyunae let the word trail off when she turned to the last customer they will be serving for tonight. The weather was terrible outside. It had been raining non-stop for three days straight. Her manager debated whether to open for today or not since she was positive that no one will even go outside their house for the day. But in the end, they opened up and in the end, there were only a few customers who came. It was only four in the afternoon, but the sky had been grey since the early morning. The rain was pouring heavily outside, drenching the passerbys completely soak and slowing down the already heavy traffic on the streets.

 

"Hey" Yongguk ruffled his hair, shaking off the excess water from the rain. Hyunae directed him to a table by the window. She gulped when they met gaze and quickly directed her eyes somewhere else. "We're closing off in ten minutes" she said, without looking at him. Yongguk nodded his head and ordered a cup of black coffee. He watched Hyunae walked off to the counter to start making a fresh new cup of coffee for him. He watched her intently, exmined her every move.

 

The way she moves her perfectly soft hands, her knitted eyebrows and creased forehead when the coffee maker decided to jam on her. The way she pouted her pink plump lips and how her shoulders slumped, indicating she had given up on fixing it. He watched her so intently. Even though it was obvious that he kept his gaze on her, his eyes were telling something else. If Hyunae had her own secret, so did he.

 

Yongguk might have been oblivious of her feelings for her, but she had been oblivious of his feelings for her as well. He too, had been having special feelings for her. He knew that he had fallen in love with Hyunae the moment she smiled for him. It might be ridiculous to think that a seven year old boy is in love, but Yongguk was far more mature than his age. He knew things that other kids his age didn't. He knew he had special feelings for a girl named Choi Hyunae, but he didn't dare show it.

 

Years and years passed by and he tried to convince himself not to try to fall even deeper in love with her. He too did what Hyunae tried to do. But just like her, he failed miserably. When they were young, he cared for her more than Himchan ever did. Whenever she cried, his shoulder was always open for her to lean on. Whenever she hurt herself, he was always the first one to rescue her. As they grew older, Yongguk had convinced himself to let her go.

 

He had convinced himself that he was not good enough for her. Hyunae was the most precious person in his life and he didn't want her getting hurt by him because he knew that he was not capable. For some reason, Yongguk embedded the idea in his brain that he wasn't worth her love and that she deserved way more than what he could give her. And so he kept telling himself that she was just a sister to him. He thought that way, he could forget his feelings for her. 

 

That was why he partied and hooked up with girls, thinking it was an easy way to forget his feelings for her. But yet again, he was wrong.

 

Yongguk felt bad that he used Nana to get over her. But once again, he was dead wrong. Just like Hyunae, instead of forgetting, his love for her grew.

 

They say love is blind. One might think it's utter bull. That it's just some cheesy line. But for these two best friends, love is definitely blind. None of them knew that both had been in love with one another. Love is indeed blind.

 

"Sorry. The damn coffee maker broke on me. Unnie had to fix it." Hyunae muttered as she settled the mug of black coffee in front of him. Before she had the chance to walk away, he swiftly grabbed her wrist to stop her from making another step. Hyunae felt her heart stop for a brief moment. It's been so long, that she missed his touch. She turned around and shook off his hand, making him release her. "Wae? Do you need something else?"

 

"Sit" Yongguk leaned on the table and nodded his head to the chair in front of him. "Let's talk." Hyunae glance at her co-worker who was busy cleaning up. She cleared and took the seat in front of him. She fiddled with her thumbs and played with her rings. Yongguk knew she was nervouse by doing this, so he took her hands in his. But Hyunae swiftly pulled back from him, leaving Yongguk slightly confused.

 

"What... do you want to talk about?" She asked without meeting his gaze. Yongguk cleared his throat, suddenly finding it hard to speak. "Us" he blurted out. Hyunae looked up to him and furrowed her eyebrows. "Us?" she questioned him. She couldn't help but scoff. "There's no us oppa. Unless you're talking about our sibling relationship, then go on." She spoke with bitterness in her voice.

 

"I missed you" Yongguk sighed and looked her in the eyes. "A lot" he added. "I know we haven't hung out or seen each other in a while. We haven't even spoken for a long time too" Yongguk opened his mouth to speak again, only to get cut off by her.

 

"Oppa saranghae" It took all of her to utter those words out to him so openly. Yongguk stared at her, trying to process what he had just heard. "It's not some sort of sibling crap" Hyunae looked at him and swallowed the tears that were forming.

 

"Oppa saranghae. Saranghae oppa. Jeongmal saranghae."


A/N

dundundun

I hope this wasn't so confusing.

I was so busy with school lately, so I haven't updated till now.

I just took two exams today. I wasn't going to update today, but I did so bad on my Physiology exam that I needed to vent out my frustration lol so I wrote a chapter for you guys! Man, I studied so hard for Physiology that I didn't even study for my Nutririon exam, so I probably didn't do so well on that either. But good thing we get to correct our wrong answers.

I have a Psychology exam tomorrow as well, so only one update for today since I have to study keke.

BTW, WHY IS HE MAKING IT SO HARD TO NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM?? DID YOU GUYS SEE HIS INSTAGRAM POST? HE IS SPONSORING A CHILD FROM BANGLADESH. HOW PERFECT CAN HE GET?

Comment, subscribe, like, do whatever and tell me what you think!

Thanks for reading!!