What do I do

Choices

Jongin had been trying to call Soojung since last night, the moment he received his letter of acceptance. It was something he had feared yet happy to show the results. He had been worried, but who wouldn’t when your girlfriend seems to be carrying a problem that doesn’t want to share with you for the past few days. Not to mention, his friend had said the possibility that Soojung might think of breaking up with him.

 

“Soojung called in sick today,” Jinri tells him during lunch and it worries Jongin more than ever.

 

“Do you think she is carrying a disease and is dying?”

 

“PARK CHANYEOL!” Everyone yelled at Chanyeol for once again bringing that up. Everyone glared at him, except Amber, who thinks that the assumption is right and Jongin, who’s too worried to even care about the near death of their friend.

 

“If you’re going to kill Chanyeol, don’t do it in front of me,” is all Jongin says and the two other boys enjoy torturing Chanyeol. The two other girls laughed at what’s happening in front.

 

“I’m still going to college! You can’t let me die!” A crying Chanyeol was still being ignored.

 

“Speaking of college, guess who got the scholarship abroad,” Sehun told the girls and they were all rejoicing at Jongin’s acceptance.

 

“Thanks. I would want to celebrate, but it doesn’t feel good when Soojung isn’t here.”

 

 

_*_

 

 

“How are you feeling?” Jessica sits at Soojung’s bed and holds her hand.

 

“I feel better, but still nauseous. Is this how I’m supposed to feel? I want to eat more fruits though,” Soojung pouts at Jessica and being the nice sister she is, gets Soojung’s request.

 

When she came back, Soojung is looking at a small notebook with the title, “Dreams”. She places the plate of sliced fruits beside the table and scoots beside Soojung.

 

“I have always imagined that things will go according to what I’ve always told Jongin. One day, we will get married at a beautiful and simple Church with the most important people in our lives, our family, his family and our dorky friends. I would be wearing a beautiful white dress with a long trail, holding a bouquet of roses as I walk down the aisle. At the end, Jongin is there, with Sehun as his best man. You would be my maid-of-honor and the three girls are bridesmaid. Then dad would pass me to Jongin and we’d exchange our vows.”

 

“Living would be hard, which is why I had always imagined we’d begin at a small apartment where we would have our night bickering and pillow fights. We would work at the day and go home, tired but restored once we see each other. We would kiss each other and I would jump on his back until he breaks his back or drop me. We would slowly form our family, having at least 3 years of age difference from each other. I said two children is okay, but he said 5 or 6 is better. He could make his own dance troupe with it.”

 

“We’ll be in our mid-20s when we get married. We’ll have kids after that. We’ll watch our kids grow, go to school, fall in love, get married and form their own families too. We’ll watch everything grow up and change every day. But we promised each other that we’ll stay hand-in-hand until we can. We promised forever, even though we both know it’s silly. He always said he’s willing to prove to me that it’s possible anyway. He promised to hold my hand and we’ll watch sunsets together and gaze into each other’s eyes, then we would reminisce memories we’ve had, like we’re reliving it again.”

 

“It’s times like this I would cry knowing that these were never going to come true. Now I’m pretty sure it will never be.”

 

Soojung sniffs and rubs her nose as she looks at everything that was written there.

 

 

 

 

When left alone, Soojung checks her phone and sees 4 missed calls and 9 messages from Jongin. The others also sent at least a message just for missing school. It was already lunch time already and she dials Amber’s number. It doesn’t take more than 2 rings when Amber picks up.

 

“Hey. How are you?”

 

“I’m fine. How’s everyone? How’s Jongin?”

 

“Everyone’s doing fine. They do whine about how they miss you. Jongin’s just being quiet without you. He just lets the others kill Chanyeol, which is unlikely of him because he usually is the first one who wants to kill him.”

 

Soojung chuckles as Ambers tells her stories from today. It was just lunch time and she feels like she’s missing a lot.