A new position.

A Distant Memory

 

Hazel eyes scanned over her body again and again. New hanbok, check. Hair, check. She looked in fact perfect as usual but now looked way better because of the new clothes and hairstyle. Yoona went out to the city the day before to buy a new hanbok with the money she barely had. Thinking about her money just makes her madder at the freaking guy! At first, she thought about not wasting her money and just going in her working clothes to embarrass him, but thought about Nichkhun and how her reputation will drop further than it already has around the palace. She learnt that reputation means everything around here using the hard way.

After a final check-up, she was ready. She walked out of the changing room and headed towards the main lobby. Before she could even reach there, she saw a huge gama a few meters from the main lobby’s gate. One of the maidens saw her and ran to her quickly. Yoona had a thousand questions popping into her mind and a feeling of knowing what’s going to happen but she wouldn’t bet on it.

“You are Miss Im Yoona, right?”

“Uh…yes.”

“There is a question I must ask you to make sure that you are her. What do you call the man that is to be your fiancée? It was from the man himself.”

“Mister ert.” She answered without hesitation. The maid seemed to be shocked at what she said but bowed anyways.

“You may come with us, Miss Yoona.” She then led her towards the gama and ushered her in. It was really dark inside there and Yoona thought for a moment there that she couldn’t breathe. She remembered how old people consider this transport but really, she is amazed at how they are able to survive in this for a long period of time. Soon, it started to move and she tried her best not to tumble all over the place. Why did he have to pick this type of transport? She could have ridden a horse!

It wasn’t long before the announcing of her arrival was heard. Whoa, what servant is this, to have another servant to call out her name? Or maybe he was so close to the prince that the prince wanted him to marry in an orderly fashion? Pushing all thoughts aside, she stepped out of the gama as it came to a stop.

This was so not the main lobby. This was the Imperial Hall!

Oh my god what am I doing here? Shoot, that must have told the king on me and now I’m sent to my imminent death! Oh no what should I do? Breathe Yoona, breatheeeeeeeee!

“Announcing the arrival of His and Her Royal Highness King Park Seung Won, Queen Hong Eun Hee and Crown Prince Park Taecyeon!”

Yoon quickly stood to the side and bowed her head really low until she felt as if her head could touch the floor. This might be the actual last time she was going to bow ever again. She looked up and her face was filled with surprise while her eyes had thousands to emotions in them.

It was him.

The guy that she met the other day, wearing royalty clothes and gawking like an idiot while looking at her. She was about to shout out at him when she remembered her position.

“Taecyeon, I heard that you have brought a girl of your taste. Where is she?”

“Here she is, father.” The man took hold of Yoona’s arm and led her beside him. A bit too close for her liking but this wasn’t the time. He was the Crown Prince! How in the world is that possible? He is definitely an imposter! But he does kinda look like one in those clothes, and the king can’t have been lying…ahhhh this is such a mess right now!

“Her? Hmm, what do you think Eun Hee?” The King referred to his wife.

“She looks pretty but a bit too timid for my taste.”

“Oh, you think so too? She does not seem like one from a royal family.”

Yoona could feel Taecyeon flinch a little beside her. He moved down to whisper something into her ear. He face heated up at the close contact as she tried her best to hide it.

“Act properly and I won’t tell them of what happened.” With that, he smirked and continued to look at his father.

“I assure you, father, she is worthy of my hand as much as I am for hers.”

The King seemed to hesitate a little before replying: “We do not know much of this girl that you picked so you’ll have to just prove it to us how true this matter is. My dear lady, you do know the depth of this marriage, do you not?”

“Uh, yes, my King.”

“My dear, let me test her, perhaps it might offer you some proof.” The Queen said, trying to reassure the king.

“I will be much relieved if it falls onto your hands. Go on.” Queen Eun Hee nodded and descended the steps to come face to face with Yoona. Never in her life has she been in front of a Queen, moreover an ancient one! She wouldn’t even dream of this and yet it is so real. The books really paid too less attention of her beauty because Yoona was truly speechless when she saw the Queen’s face.

“Taecyeon says that you are from Gyeonggi, are you not Miss Im?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Why have we not received a letter about this? I never knew that there was a minister’s daughter in that province. Moreover, how could I have not known that my son, the Crown Prince was courting a girl secretly? Nothing, and I mean nothing, goes around the castle without my knowing.” She looked directly into Yoona’s eyes, trying to seek the truth from her.

Yoona gulped. She hated the feeling of being looked down by someone. This was serious. If she was caught lying, she would be ruined forever. For her own life’s sake, she has no choice but to lie now. She took a deep breath and returned a stern look at the Queen without looking directly into her eyes.

“My father, the Prime Minister of Gyeonggi is busy at the moment. He has known about us just recently and I assure you, was as surprised as I’d dare presume your Majesties are right now.”

“But for my son to be married to a minister’s daughter! How outrageous is that? He should be married to a royal princess! Not for someone with such a low position as yours.”

“Then what can I do to prove that I am worthy of him?” You want a fight? A fight you will get, dear Queen. Now you’ve really pissed Im Yoona off. Just because she’s a Queen it doesn’t give her the right to insult her or her ‘father’.

“A minister’s daughter…you can get married to Taecyeon under one condition.”

“And what is it?”

“Show me that you are better than a princess, that is all.”

“…Fine.”

From a normal human being, heck, a servant to a better-than-a-princess minister’s daughter?

I am so dead.