Stumbling Back?

A Distant Memory

The week had gone by without her even noticing it. It was a fine Sunday in the streets of Seoul, Korea. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, what could possibly go wrong? A young brunette walked by the sidewalk just like any other person in the world. She stoped in fron of a shop, took a deep breath and finally stepping into the shop. She was instantly attacked by the smell of sweets and coffee. No wonder she loved working in this place. 

"Annyeong Yoona! You're early today."

The one who greeted Yoona was a middle aged woman by the name Chae Rim. She was the owner of Rimmie's Coffee Shop. Yoona was hired by this woman on a distant day when she ran out of workers on a peak time. Yoona had just finished her part-time job as a kindergarden teacher and stopped by to have a cup of coffee. She pitied the helpless woman, unable to deal with so many customers at once so she decided to help out. Chae Rim found out that Yoona was a pretty hard worker and decided to keep her for 10000 won per month. 

The brunette set her bags on the back of the counter and grabbed her apron. It had Rimmie's Coffee Shop printed on it in large white letters while the apron was violet in colour. She tied her hair up into a messy bun and set to work. 

"I decided to wake up early this morning. I have a feeling something good is going to happen." she smiled at Chae Rim and replied.

It wasn't long before the customers were pouring in endlessly. A lot of people enjoy their coffee here, mostly the ones that have to go to work and need coffee to stay energized but there are also teenagers that likes to hang out here a little while longer while finishing up an assignment or have a long talk. The smell of coffee was strong inside the place that even the outsiders would glance at their coffee shop for a few seconds after recognizing the scent. Chae Rim was a good coffee brewer, but she would never tell Yoona the secrets to her coffee since it was her family's most precious secret after all.

In the blink of an eye, it was already 6 in the evening and Chae Rim was prepared to go home. She took off her apron and hung it by the pillar. She grabbed her purse from below th counter and proceeded to walk towards the door, not without glancing back at Yoona of course.

"You're not going home yet?"

"No, I'm gonna stay back to clean up. You go on, Chae Rim-sshi."

"Suit yourself. Thank you for all your hard work!" And with that, she left without another word. The bell of the coffee shop doors were the only thing sound echoing in Yoona's ears.

After a while, the young brunette glanced up at the clock on the wall. It was already 7pm and she hadn't eaten dinner yet. Her stomach grumbled in response as she wiped off the last bit of dirt on the tables. 

"There, all done." She smiled, satisfied with her work. Making sure that everything was spick and span, Yoona hung her apron and walked out of the coffee shop. She made sure to lock it properly in case of theft and left the scene.

The wind was blowing harshly against her face while she walked down the sidewalk. She was about two blocks away from her house. She enjoyed walking home, if she was let home lucky, she would be able to enjoy the sunset that illuminated the skies with such colour that Yoona can't help but stop and stare. Suddenly, she heard a distant whimper in the nearby park. It was more of a forest, with the amount of trees around it, but there was a path for joggers and bikers to exercise there every morning. She looked around and knew that there was no one around so she must have been imagining things.

But the whimper rang in her ears again and Yoona detected that it came from the park. She walked towards the source of the whimper. It was quite a distance away from home but she was extremely curious of who or what could have cause a whimper so loud that it could be heard a few metres away. She walked into the forest until she couldn't see where she came from anymore. There it was. A box. It seemed weird to have a box in the middle of nowhere. It was made out of pure wood and there were carvings around it. The carvings looked familiar but she just couldn't put a finger on it. She saw an opening and decided to open it up to see what was inside.

Yoona was immediately swallowed by a huge ray of light and if anyone saw it it would be as if she was into the box and it vanished into thin air. She felt really dizzy and suddenly, she was freefalling from the sky. She screamed really hard before landing into the water below. Thank goodness it was shallow enough for her to walk on or else she couldn't imagine what would have happened. She tooka  deep breath and wiped the water off her face before taking a good look at her surroundings. 

"Where the heck am I?"