Cooking?

A Distant Memory

 

Yoona tossed and turned around her bed. It was hard and her body might bruise in the morning, but right now, nothing matters. She thought back to the events earlier today…

FLASHBACK

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t your Majesty herself?”

Yoona had barely woken up. She was still exhausted by the small adventure she had with Taecyeon yesterday. She rubbed her eyes tiredly while looking at the person who was speaking to her.

“Missy, do you know what time is it now?”

It’s Madam Sun! Yoona stumbled out of bed, tripped and fell. She rubbed her chin and stood up. Madam Sun didn’t even offer to help her.

“No matter if you were once under my wing or not, you are now the Crown Prince’s fiancé! Best not wake up after your wedding night like this!” The elder woman moved towards the bed and started cleaning up the mess. Yoona stretched and squinted at the light that entered her eyes. How she wished she was back home now, where the lights could be switched on whenever she liked…

“There’s no need to be so uptight, Madam Sun. I’ll learn in time…” Yoona said lazily. What time was it anyways?

“I’m glad you can, because you’ve got about 3 weeks left! You’ve got much to learn, dear princess.” Madam Sun clapped her hands together to get rid of the dust and looked at Yoona. She tsked and led her to the mirror.

“Now get yourself cleaned up, you’re learning how to cook today!”

Yoona could almost feel her jaw drop towards the floor.

“I thought princesses don’t need to cook!”

“The Queen wants you to, so you have to.” Madam Sun said simply.

Yoona grumbled in protest and was immediately pinched by Madam Sun.

“Ow! What was that for?”

She continued to slap her back, causing Yoona to stand upright.

“My dear, this just can’t work! A princess does not grumble and she most definitely do not slouch! How improper.”

Yoona blushed in embarrassment. She wasn’t very much of a morning person.

“I’m sorry, I won’t do it again.”

“I’ll make sure you won’t. Now dress up and meet me at the kitchen at the left wing. Chef Nichkhun will be teaching you how to cook.”

Yoona smiled brightly at her. Nichkhun? She was in luck! She quickly ran to her closet and wore a brand new hanbok. She tied her hair carefully, after being taught by Madam Sun how to do so on the first day. Apparently, the way to tie it was way different than a servant’s one. Yoona grumbled again. Taecyeon only told her this when they were escorted back to their respective rooms. No one talked about how her hair was different yet, but prevention is better than cure! Yoona simply braided a fishtail braid and curled it up into a bun. That should be fine, right? When she was satisfied with her work, she ran outside and reported to the kitchen.

Everyone in the kitchen stopped working and looked at her. They all bowed at her and said: “Good morning, your Highness.”

Yoona bit her lip nervously.

“Um, hello! Good morning to you too!” She said, a little too cheerfully.

They all resumed their work while Madam Sun was dragging her across the busy hallway.

“First things first, why are you all dressed up nicely? We’re in a kitchen, not a make up room! Secondly, A princess does not stutter or lower the way they speak as if they are peasants! A princess must be graceful at all times!”

Yoona’s cheeks flushed red. She was so excited to meet Nichkhun, she completely forgot that it was at a busy kitchen! She was such an idiot! At least her hair was in a bun compared to her usual braid, which will most definitely be a hassle when it comes to cooking.

“I got it.”

“Perfect. Now, come with me. The chef is waiting for you.”

Madam Sun lead her towards the kitchen. Aish, will this woman ever give her a break?

“Chef Nichkhun?” Madam Sun said when they reached towards a door. The strong smell of pancakes hit Yoona’s nostrils. Whoa, Nichkhun is really good at his job!

“Just leave her there, I’ll be coming soon! You may take your leave, Madam Sun.”

“Alright then. Miss Yoona, if you may.” She opened the door and Yoona walked in. She closed the door and it was only her and Nichkhun left. She listened on Madam Sun’s footsteps and when it was no longer heard, she tackled Nichkhun in a hug.

“Nichkhun! I’m so so sorry I couldn’t come! That awful Crown Prince was being a jerk and he led me out to the woods and we got lost!”

“Hey, who are you calling a jerk?”

This wasn’t Nichkhun. Nichkhun’s voice was not that deep, nor that gruff. Now that Yoona notices it, his body seems to have turned out more muscular than two days ago. She immediately let go and stapped backwards until she bumped on the table.

“Who are you?”

“Why, it’s your fiancé, of course. Or should I say, ‘the awful Crown Prince who’s a jerk’?” He turned around and revealed Taecyeon with a smile so bright, showing his perfect row of teeth. Yoona gulped in surprise.

“I-I, um…”

“Who knew you’d think so lowly of me?” He said, this time, with a hint of sadness in his tone.

Guilt immediately washed over her whole body. He didn’t treat her that badly, he just kinda …

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.” She looked down. She was a horrible human being. She even forgot who she was! She was all but a servant, and he was a Crown Prince. He can have her head if he wants to whenever he wants! The thought of that made her shudder a little.

“Hey, hey. I was just joking with you. I think the whole world knows I’m a jerk, and I think you’re the only one brave enough to tell me that. Well, you weren’t exactly saying it in my face but…” He ruffled his hair and attempted to smile. Yoona fiddled with her fingers, not wanting to look up.

Taecyeon moved forward until he was completely blocking her view with his body. She looked up slowly, eyes first, then her whole head.

“I’m really sorry…” She bit her lip as she started. “I didn’t mean to…I was the one that caused us to get lost in the woods, not you. I was being foolish. Forgive me?”

“Hmm, well, I still have to punish you.” Taecyeon smirked.

Yoona’s eyes widened in disbelief. What is going to do?

“Bake a sweet for me and all will be resolved.” He said, his voice mocking authority. Yoona smiled as he laughed. Thank goodness it was nothing serious.

“Oh, and it’s better be good!” He said and sat down at the corner.

Yoona carried on to do her work.

* * *

30 minutes later

“I’m done!” Yoona exclaimed. This has got to be her best one yet. She didn’t want to get in anymore trouble with him, so she might as well please him in one go!

Taecyeon sat up and stumbled a little. Seems like he dozed off. Yoona giggled and pushed the plate of sweet in front of him. He took a fork and cut a piece of the sweet. It was made from green tea so naturally, it looked green. It was rectangle and layered above one another. She even placed a mint leaf on top of it. She learned all of that when she worked in that coffee shop of hers. How she missed that place now…

“This is really good!” Taecyeon said while taking another bite.

“Thanks.” Yoona smiled in relief. Taecyeon looked up at her and erupted in laughter. Yoona looked at him questioningly. Was there something wrong?

“Y-Your face…There’s something on your face.” He laughed, trying not to spit out his food. Yoona’s face turned red and she quickly raised a hand up to her face. She was stopped by Taecyeon after failing miserably.

“Here, I’ll do it.” He placed a finger to her cheek and brushed it off softly. The feeling of his warm hands on her face made her stomach squirm. His hands lingered on her face longer than it should have but they didn’t seem to mind at all. It wasn’t until Yoona moved her face away from his hands when they both looked around in embarrassment.

“Well, um, guess you’re pretty good in baking sweets, huh?”

“Yeah, I guess I am…”

“So I’ll see you tomorrow again? And please, don’t tell Madam Sun that it’s me. Don’t worry though, me and Khun do this all the time, he doesn’t mind at all.”

“I won’t.”

“Alright then, guess I’m done here. You should meet Madam Sun at the knitting workplace. I’ll be off!” He said and left, leaving the door wide open. Yoona watched as his body fades from her view. Her hands touched her face where he touched it. She could still feel the warmness of her cheeks, how the blood was rushing fast.

Why was this happening to her?

FLASHBACK ENDS

She laid down on her bed, her body straight. She still couldn’t get over the fact that his hands lingered there longer than it should. And the most shocking thing was that…

She enjoyed it.


Hey everyone!

I'm back! I'm terribly sorry it took me so long, I had personal reasons and I was beyond busy. I know you all might not forgive me but I'll till update! Whew, this chapter took me 3 hours...well and a little bit of distraction but heheh I got it posted!

I'll be updating tomorrow as well, promise! 

I love you all <3

- Rach xoxo