Life is Short,

Lonely is Fine

She remembered that night clearly. She ached every time she thought about Yongguk now. The smell of soju alcohol that had cling onto his clothing that night. The sun was burning outside. The rain had stopped falling since two days ago. Junhyung was always out nowadays.

 

“Being like this is fine...” she told herself.

 

Yongguk walked out of the mini market he had just bought some grocery's from. It was mid afternoon and he could feel the suns heat pressing itself onto his exposed skin. He stared up towards the clear blue sky, he was then taken a back from the giggles of a couple. He slowly turned his head to the right and saw the guy Nicole was with the other day. Wasn't he the officer she held tightly onto that night he saw her as he was going to Seoul's Night Bar? Why was he with another girl? Holding onto her like how he did with Nicole? He found himself clenching his fist tightly. He then saw as the guy leaned in and planted a kiss onto her lips.

 

“Oppa,” she pulled away after the kiss, “hurry back, okay?”

 

“Of course,” he smiled, “I gotta get back to Nicole...you know that,” as Junhyung turned around Yongguk was already behind him.

 

“Oppa, do you know him?” The girl asked from behind Junhyung.

 

“Ani,” Junhyung was surprised himself, “Can I help you?” Without an answer Yongguk swung his clenching right fist onto the side of Junhyung's right cheek.

 

“Next time before you cheat,” Yongguk huffed for air, “think about how you'll feel if you were being cheated on by the one person you thought truly cares about you!” He bended down and grabbed for the grocery bag he dropped after swinging at Junhyung, “Don't mess with her feelings just because you know she'll be there...” He then walked away as Junhyung held onto the side of his right cheek.

 

“Oppa,” the girl was concerned as she quickly stood in front of Junhyung, “are you okay?”

 

“I'm fine,” he informed her, “I'm fine...” he watched as Yongguk made a right turn vanishing now.

 

Yongguk pulled out his phone and searched through his contact list until he reached Nicole's number.

 

“You're such a fool, how can you be so stupid!! Are you blind?! You seem like a smart girl, but how can you be so stupid when it comes to picking a guy?!”

 

Nicole stared at the text message she had just received. She was shock. She was about to reply when she received another message from Yongguk.

 

“Fool...you're being cheated on...now you understand why I'm so angry?! How pathetic...”

 

She felt the tears forming as she stared deeply at the screen of her phone. She sat still as she closed his text messages and sat on her wooden floor quietly, not wanting to hear the sound of her own sobbing self.

 

Yongguk closed his apartment door behind him. He now waited for an answer, anything just anything. He sat on his sofa with his T.V. on. He stared at his phone, but received nothing. Was he too harsh?

 

Nicole opened Junhyung's bedroom door and slowly walked inside as if he was sleeping not wanting to wake him up. The afternoon sunlight filled his room. She stared at his bed that was nicely made and the mattress that was undone beside the window. She took in a deep breath as she pulled out her phone.

 

Yongguk was about to put his phone aside when he suddenly received a phone call. He stared at Nicole's name the lit up on his phone screen.

 

“Hello...” his deep voice asked.

 

“Now it's your turn to hear me out...” she stated on the other line. Her voice was husky and low was if she would cry at any moment.

 

“Where at?” He was a bit concerned now.

 

“The usual...”

 

“The park outside my apartment building?”

 

“Ne...”

 

“Okay,” he briefly replied, “I'll be waiting for you then...”

 

Yongguk waited. Sitting on the park benched where Nicole and him first met and where they met just two nights ago. The sun was already slowly setting. Mothers were calling out towards their kids to come home. It had been an hour since Nicole had called him to meet up with her. He took out his phone and stared at the time.

 

“Aish, is she coming or not.” he asked himself a bit irritated now.

 

Nicole stared at her phone while sitting at Junhyung's desk. It had been an hour since she had called Yongguk to meet up with her. She finally stood up to find Junhyung standing at his bedroom door. She stared at him and a small smile crept upon her face. She walked towards him and notice the bruised on the right side of his cheek and her smile quickly faded away.

 

“What happened?” She quickly touched his cheek as he pulled away, “It hurts of course...” she put her hands down to the side of her body, “I'm sorry.”

 

“Ani,” he replied, “It doesn't hurt.”

 

“I guess...” she looked down onto the wooden floors, “Jaebeom-ah,” she looked back up at him...”Park Jaebeom...”

 

“Nicole...” his eyes widen.

 

“Ani,” she took in a deep breathe, “I'm very sorry...” she looked at him with teary eyes, “It must've been hard on you huh?” She looked at Jaebeom, “I thought about it...and realized why you don't sleep on the bed...it's because this isn't your home...” she tried to smile away the tears, “I am fool...” she stated.

 

“Nicole...” Jaebeom stared at her, “Nicole...” he placed both of his hands onto her shoulders.

 

“Ani,” she pulled them away from her softly, “I've been in denial for such a long time, you've been a good friend to Junhyung...taking care of me, I'm really thankful and I'm sure I've caused so much trouble for you...Yoon-Ji must be very overwhelmed with this whole situation...” she wiped away her tears, “I'm very sorry for always addressing you to Junhyung's name...”

 

“I'm really okay with it...” Jaebeom stated, “If it wasn't for me he would still...”

 

“I have somewhere to go now, I'm really sorry...” Nicole stated once again, “I'm doing better now, even Hoya agrees...I think it's time you should move out,” Nicole felt as though apart of her was slowly disappearing, “I no longer want to be a burden to you...what happened wasn't your fault, it could have happened to anyone.”

 

“Nicole,” Jaebeom stared at her, “I made him a promise and I'll keep that promise.”
 

“I no longer want anyone to misunderstood us...especially since you're seeing Yoon-Ji, I'll be alright...” Nicole brushed past him as she put on her shoe and left.

 

The stars slowly shined as Yongguk was asleep with his arms crossed and his head hanging. He who was waiting for Nicole fell asleep. When Nicole arrived she saw him. She sat down next to him and stared into the far distant. She then turned her head and stared at him.

 

“Maybe it's better that you're asleep...” she whispered, “where should I start?” She asked him who couldn't hear her, “Ahh right...you said I reminded you of Park...Park Gyuri?” She tried to smile, “Too me your the opposite of Junhyung...” she felt her voice faltering, “Keep it together Jung Nicole...”

 

Yongguk heard small footsteps slowly approaching him as he slightly opened his eyes. He saw someone sitting down beside him and realized it was Nicole. She was staring into the distant as he notice her head slowly turning he quickly closed his eyes pretending to fall asleep as he heard her saying maybe it was better that he was sleeping.

 

“You're the type who likes to drink while Junhyung was the type to turn away any type of alcohol, he hated clubbing or attending any type of bar. He was very independent and always reliable...I'm only saying this because you compared me to Gyuri...” she sighed, “If you knew anything about me...that guy that I was with the night we met again at Seoul's Night Bar that was Junhyung's best friend...Park Jaebeom who has been taking care of me...I'm sure he was the guy you texted me about...he isn't my boyfriend...”

 

“What?” Yongguk surrpsied Nicole who was still in the middle of her story. She stared at him shocked.

 

“You're awake?” she asked.

 

“Well...I am now...” he scratched the back of his head, “So...that guy isn't your boyfriend?”

 

“Ani...” Nicole continued, “His name is Park Jaebeom... Junhyung...Yong Junhyung he was my boyfriend...it was four years ago...Jaebeom had a street he was suppose to patrol that night but since it was his mother's birthday Junhyung told him to go home and he'll take over his shift...” she now stared up towards the sky, “that day was our fourth year together...the truth was Junhyung knew something bad was going to happen...before Jaebeom left he told Jaebeom to take care of me...he told Jaebeom to come and tell me he loved me first before Jaebeom headed home later that night...I received a phone call from Jaebeom saying that Junhyung had been shot and didn't make it...” the tears trickled down the outer corner of her eyes...everything seems fine and then all of a sudden it slowly crumbles...”

 

“I'm...I'm really sorry to hear.” Yongguk became speechless afterwards.

 

“After his death, Jaebeom had been taking care of me...I became depressed and was sent to the hospital...I was prescribed medication though I confirmed there was nothing wrong, that it was only a depression only to find out it was my parents who had prescribed them for me...” she closed her eyes, “Jaebeom stayed with me at Junhyung and my apartment. I guess I wasn't thinking correctly that I started calling him Junhyung because every time I looked at him all I saw was Junhyung's face...”

 

“For the past years?” he asked.

 

“It was just suddenly that I started to realize it wasn't him...after I met you...” she looked at him now, “It's weird...”

 

“Nicole...”

 

“Life is short, so be careful with the streets and roads that you take, some may lead you home and some may lead you astray...” she stated.

 

For some odd reason he felt as though he would die if he didn't hold her in his arms at the moment. But he stopped himself. She turned away and stood up. He watched as she began to walk away from him. He followed behind only to be asked to keep his distant.

 

“Don't follow me,” she stated, “I don't need for you to comfort me...”

 

“Yaa! Jung Nicole!” His deep voice yelled after her, “You asked me to hear you out....and that's exactly what I'm doing aren't I?!” he was surprised at what he had just now said.

 

“And you have...” she turned around, “I don't want to wander around you because in honesty...I think I'm slowly falling for you...and because of that I'm scared I'm erasing him away...and because you're someone who has girls coming to his house...I think it's best if I stay away...”

 

Her words pierced his ears. He couldn't believe what he had just heard from this girl, this girl that reminded him so much of Gyuri. Why? Why? He thought to himself.

 

“Then why tell me this? Aren't you wandering around me still?” He asked, “It's okay...I guess it's best if I stayed away from you too...you're not my type of girl anyways...”

 

“I know...” she turned around, “I know it well...thank you.”

 

He watched as Nicole walked on away. He wanted to run after her but what kind of guy would he be? He was never the type to run after a girl...this wasn't anything knew to him...those words she said he has heard them over a million times by all the girls he met at the club hoping he'll run after them. But this one, this one he wanted to run and grabbed onto her and never let her go. Comfort her and say how she was the one person he wanted to protect from now on. Yet he watched like a fool as she walked further away from him.