Voicemail

Lonely is Fine

Nicole stuffed the last piece of pancake into as she chewed it down in one big gulp. Yongguk sat across from her with his mouth half opened and stunned by what she had just done. He snapped out of his thoughts as he sat up straight clearing his throat. Most girls that he had taken out to eat would've at least tried to eat elegantly in front of him. He stretched his neck to the side as Nicole wiped away the syrup stain on the outer corner of her lip.

“Thank you for breakfast,” She smiled up towards him now, “I'm so full.” Nicole sat back more relaxed as she patted her stomach.

“You have a big appetite for such a small girl.” He looked at her a bit disgusted.

“I'm not a girl...I'm a women,” she sat up straight, “I should get going now,” Nicole grabbed her belonging, as she stood up from where she had been sitting.

“What?” Yongguk quickly followed in her lead surprising her, “You're going to leave just like that?”

“We'll...it's not like we know each other...” She looked at him a bit confused, “I have to get home soon since my bag has a ripe on the bottom, I don't want to be walking around holding onto my stuffs...”

“Ahh...” Yongguk awkwardly smiled at her, “of course...” he took a step back then sitting back down.

Nicole bowed towards him who now didn't dare to look at her. With that she left him alone in the small restaurant. He looked out the big side window next time him as he could see Nicole waiting by the stop light to cross. The light turned as she began to walk across the street, but what caught his attention was she held up her right hand as she crossed, which brought a smile onto his face since most people nowadays, didn't follow with the old traditions anymore. He watched as she vanished into the crowd...that was the last time he saw her.

 

------------------------------------------------- 3 Months Later   -------------------------------------------------  
 

Yongguk sat silently as the people around him grieved. He stared at the black and white photo of his mother. Why couldn't he cry? Why couldn't one tear fall? He had asked himself this question repeatedly in his head. His father was beside him as he cried his eyes out for his late wife. Maybe it was the guilt that Yongguk had felt. The very last call he got from his mother was the day he had taken the girl that found his wallet out for breakfast which was roughly three months ago, even so he never gotten her name. When he got home from the funeral he slump down onto his bedroom floor with his body now curled up, why was it then that his tears finally fell for his mother.

“Yongguk-ah...my Yongguk-ah...it is me your umma, do you not wish to see me? I knew that someday you would eventually wean off me who has done wrong, I knew that well and so did you...be truly happy my dear son, so I know I have return it all...” Yongguk replayed the message she had left him, three months ago over and over again as the tears ran down his face as he listened to her faltering, low sad voice.

“U—umma....I'm so sorry...” Yongguk clenched the phone tightly onto the side of his ears as he gritted his teeths tightly against each other, “Umma, minhae!!!” He cried out louder this time...his breathing became constant as his body slowly put him to sleep.

Yongguk awoken to find himself lying on his cold wooden bedroom floor. He could hear the rain falling from outside his window. In the dark he slowly pulled himself up as he stared at his old beat up clock on his night stand, it was a little passed ten. He heard the doorbell ringing as he got out of his room. He opened his door and standing in front of him was Gyuri soaked from the rain. He was speechless to see her standing outside his door. Before he could say anything she reached her arms as she wrapped them around his waist.

“I'm really sorry about your mother...” she rested her head onto his chest.

"Gyu---Gyuri-ah..." Yongguk's voice began to falter as he felt her soaked body against his, "...W--what are you doing here?" Yongguk then felt her body pulling away from his.

He then soon realized there was no one at the door.  Yongguk closed his eyes slowly as he shut the door locking it before heading slowly back into his room.  He had been hallucinating of her presence again.  He his bedroom light as he sat at his desk viewing out towards his bedroom window with the blinds closed but the window opened.  Yongguk slowly un-wined the blinds as he could see out towards the city and watched as the rain poured down.  He leaned back into his chair as he drifted away in his own thoughts.

Nicole had been staring at her phone for the past few hours, contemplating whether or not she should make the call...she grabbed her phone off her desk as she went through her contacts she came across Yongguk's number that she had saved.  The two never saw each other again ever since their first meeting.

"Should I call him, or should I not?  Should I call him, or should I not?" She asked herself..."No, no don't call him." She placed her phone back down onto her desk as she stood up and tucked herself into her bed turning her lamp off. In the darkness she slowly fell asleep. 

The sun's ray pierced itself into Yongguk's bedroom slowly waking him up.  He got out of bed as he ready himself for the new day ahead.  He washed up, changed his clothes while heading towards his living room opening the window blinds as he passed the window, to let in the sunlight.  He then made his way into his kitchen.  His home phone was gone.  Yongguk opened his fridge that was empty.  He closed it shut as he walked back into his room grabbing for his wallet then putting on his high top red chucks and headed out his apartment, to find himself face to face with Gyuri.

"G...G..Gyuri-ah..." His deep voice faltered as she slowly took a step forward towards him.

"Aren't you heading to work?"  Junhyung asked Nicole who was drifting off into space in their small kitchen as she slowly stirred her coffee.

"Ohh..." She quickly turned her head to the left to look at him who was dressed nicely in his uniform, "I was just about to...I thought today was your day off?"  Nicole questioned him as she closed the lid of her coffee cup shut, "And where were you last night?  I was going to call but I decided not to..." She looked straight into his eyes now.

"They called me in today, too many criminals now a days."  He smiled, "I had to stay a bit late yesterday since one of the officer didn't come, I was going to give you a call but thought you were probably asleep...sorry to had worried you," he replied "Well, I'm heading out now."  He walked over as he planted a kiss onto her forehead before heading out.  Nicole heard the door shutting as silence quickly appeared.

Gyuri and Yongguk sat awkwardly with one another in his small living room with the sun's ray of light shining through.  She stared at him who didn't look at her.  Gyuri moved a bit closer towards Yongguk who now slowly lifted up his head surprised by her small movements.  She then placed her hands on top of his right hand.

"I'm sorry..." Her voice apologetic as the two locked eyes, "Yongguk-ah..."

"If that's why you came then I think you should get going..." He pulled his hands away from hers as he slowly stood up now placing both of his hands into the back pocket of his pant.

"I just wanted to check up on you...I heard about your umma..." She did not stand up nor look at him now, "I just wanted to comfort my friend...is that too much?"  He could hear her voice drifting now.

"That friend of yours...had died a long time ago."  He flatly replied surprising her.

Nicole locked Junhyung and her apartment door before heading out.  She walked the crowded Seoul street as the wind lightly pressed itself against her fair skin.  Her long brown hair tied back as her bangs slowly shift from left to right.  She walked past 'Seoul's Night Bar' that was closed and thought about the wallet she found three months ago. Her mind slowly drifted off until she felt people pushing her out of their way.  She then kept on walking towards her destination. 

"....." Nicole thought to herself.

"Yongguk..."  Gyuri slowly rose up from where she had been sitting.

"Please leave..."  He asked of her once again.

"What do I do?"  He heard her trembling voice questioning him as he dare not look at her, "What do I do?"

"I don't want to know how he's treating you so well..."  Yongguk finally realized where she was leading him to, "You want me to congratulate you?  You want me to ask you how much you love each other as I weaned away?"  He felt his own voice now shaken by his own questions, "I don't wish to know...I don't wish to know how you're doing especially..."  His eyes wander straight into hers filled with tears, "Please leave now..."

"How long has it been?"  She ignored his request, "Five years?"

"Leave!"  He yelled anger now, "I said leave!!!"  He grabbed her by her left wrist as he dragged her towards the front of his apartment door furiously opening it and shoving her out, "Those five years are ashes!!!  They mean nothing now!!"  He slam the door shut as Gyuri stood still holding tightly onto her bag as the tears ran down freely.

Yongguk slump down as his hands clingy tightly onto the door knob with tears running down his face.

"Please stay..." He whispered as he cried, "Please stay...won't you at least fight with me to just stay?"  He felt his body shaking as his hands slowly slipped away from the door knob with his head resting on his door.

Gyuri looked back towards Yongguk's apartment door one last time before she entered the elevator, "I'm sorry...." she then regretfully enter pressing the button as the sliding doors shut.

Yongguk spent the afternoon indoors.  His stomach growled for food he didn't have.  He sat at his desk staring at some old photos he thought he once threw away. He stuffed them back into his old dusty shoebox as he grabbed for his phone.  He waited as the other line ringed.

"Oh, Let's go out tonight...I need to let out some stress."

It was now around nine o'clock as Nicole left the small bakery shop she worked at.  She gave a heavy sigh of exhaustion while she kicked the concrete cement floors.  The wind was blowing a bit harshly tonight as the coldness pierced tightly onto her face.  The streets were still busy as she walked along.  Nicole stared down at her feet.  She felt a body slamming the side of her right shoulder roughly as her bag swung downward with all of her belonging slipping out.  She turned around angrily as  she let out a slight smirk while she placed her right hand on top of her forehead.

"Yaaaa!!" She yelled at the guy leaving ignoring what he had caused, "Watch where you're going next time!!  Aisshhhhhhh!!"  Nicole then bended down as she gathered all of her items back into her bag, a dark shadow cast itself over her as she slowly lifted her head up. 

"Let me help you,"  Junhyung smiled as he bended down helping her still in his uniform.

"What are you doing here?"  Nicole asked surprised..."Aren't you suppose to be at work?"  The two stood up as he the loose hair behind Nicole's right ear.

"I wanted to make sure you got home safely..." He smiled, "come on, I'll send you home first, before I have to head back to the station."  He grabbed for Nicole's right hand as he led the way.

Nicole was walking side by side with Junhyung, clingy tightly onto his hands as the two walked through the crowd.  Nicole looked up at the sign board, that stated 'Seoul's Night Bar' and she suddenly thought of Yongguk.  A smile crept on her face.

Yongguk along with Himchan and Yoseob turned the corner as Yongguk and Nicole made a quick eye contact totally surprised to had seen each other once again but, the two kept on walking without stopping to even exchange a, "Hey it's you" or "Omg it's you".  He saw how she was holding hand with an officer who must've been her boyfriend. Nicole felt her heart racing, after three long month their first meeting was only through there eyes. He probably was heading to the bar she thought to herself.

"Are you okay?"  Junhyung asked Nicole who looked as though she had seen a ghost.

"Are you okay?"  Himchan asked Yongguk who looked as though he had seen a ghost.

"Oh...ani, I'm fine."  The two of them replied as they both slightly turned there heads back hoping to catch a glimpse of the other but nothing.

"Come on, I hear tonight all the pretty ladies are showing up."  Himchan put his hands around Yongguk and Yoseob's shoulders as they reached the entrance of 'Seoul's Night Bar'. Himchan quickly enter first as Yoseob and Yongguk stayed behind.

"What's up with you?"  Yoseob looked at Yongguk who was looking back at the direction they had just came from, "Saw someone you liked?"  He joked as he stared off into the same direction only to see crowds walking away and towards their way.

"I saw someone..."  He replied deeply, "It's weird though..."

"What?" Yoseob questioned. 

"This feeling..." He replied.