One Chance

Lonely is Fine

Nicole enter her apartment as the silence of the small place became so loud. She the living room light. Sitting on the coffee table there was a note folded nicely with her name on it. She sat down as she grabbed for the note, carefully unfolding it.

June 23, 2007

To my beautiful yeoja chingu,

Today's weather is warm. I'm sitting in my office right now as I write to you. Today's our five years together as a couple. How time flies by when you're enjoying life with the person you love. I sit here smiling like a fool as I think of you. You're probably at the bakery shop...mian haeyo...jeongmal joesong haeyo. I should've done better right? Then maybe we wouldn't have to spend time apart like this on our anniversary. Cole-ah...I miss you at time like this. Hopefully this letter gets to you, because I don't think I'll be able to personally hand it to you face to face. Something doesn't feel right. I'm starting to forget many things nowadays but when I see you, everything comes to me so easily. Thank you for always being by my side. Thank you for always supporting me. Today feels different...if I was unable to be by your side will you be alright? If I was unable to open my eyes will you cry? If I was unable to speak will you say I love you for me? Something doesn't feel right...maybe because you're not here right now. Goodbye.

Love,

Yong Junhyung



Nicole folded the note back nicely to the way it was before. She didn't cry. She didn't say a word. The letter she knew well was written on the day he got shot. In his letter she finally understood he had a feeling of something bad but couldn't figure it out. All he knew was that death was near. She felt her heart beat slowing down as her breathing became light yet heavy.

Himchan was knocking on Yongguk's apartment door in the early morning. He stood out there for a good thirty minutes.

"Yaaa! You punk!" Himchan pounded on the door furiously, "Aren't you going to come open the door?!!" He took a step back as he grabbed his phone from the back pocket of his pant.

"Hello?" Yongguk's deep low voice asked on the other line.

"Aren't you too harsh?? Huh, open the door man!" Himchan scolded.

"I'm not home..."

"Where are you? Are you out drinking in this early morning huh?"

"I'm...dealing with something right now...I'll be home soon, I'll call you then." He replied.

"Yongguk..." Himchan heard him click, "Aishhh this guy."

Yongguk placed the dozen of roses on top of Gyuri's tombstone. He stared at her picture. The sun was being covered by the grey clouds today. The wind was chilly as it kissed his cheeks. He sat down on the soft grass without a word. The wind whispered in his ears, it felt as though he was invisible. He took in a deep breath and exhale lightly. He took out his phone and dialed. He felt the fire in his heart burning.

Nicole stared at her phone. It was Yongguk. She hesitated. She slowly moved her thumb towards the end call button then quickly shift to the receive call button.

"Hello?" Her shaken voice asked, "Hello?" He stayed quiet on the other line. She heard the wind in the background, "Yongguk-shi..." She whispered his name as he stayed silent, "is something wrong?"

"Nicole-ah...lets meet up today?" He smiled on the other line.

"What?" She questioned.

"I'm kind of hungry...I'll wait for you at the place we first had breakfast together...araso?"

"Yongguk..."

"I'll wait until you come..." With that he clicked.

Himchan sat outside Yongguk's apartment door still waiting. He took out his phone as he dialed his number ice again.

"Yaaa, Bang Yongguk." Himchan sigh, "how long do you plan to be out?"

"Himchan...”

 

“Yongguk hyung...what's wrong?” Himchan asked concerned on the other line, “you seem kind of out of it...”

 

“If I turn into someone like Seungho hyung...would you still be on my side?” He asked.

 

“Why are you asking me this?” Himchan answered.

 

“If I started to treat an innocent girl badly...just because I know she'll always be by my side will you still call me hyung?”

 

“Aish, punk why are you talking like that?”

 

“Will you?”

 

“Of course I'll always call you hyung...” Himchan let out a small chuckle, “I mean you're already like that with most of the girls at the club so I don't understand why you're asking me this...”

 

“What if I plan to get serious with someone?”

 

“Hyung....” His eyes became bigger, “you've been seeing someone?”

 

“Gyuri noona left this world behind because of something she thought she couldn't control...because that bastard...that bastard...”

 

“Then why would you want to be exactly like him?” Himchan asked confused.

 

“Because...” Yongguk's one word sent chills down Himchan's body.

 

“What are you planning to do?”
 

“Hey...” Himchan heard a girls voice in the background.

 

“I gotta go now,” Yongguk smiled on the other line, “I'll talk to you later Himchan...bye.” With that he clicked.

 

Nicole stared at Yongguk who put his phone away. He smile at her who now took the seat across from him. He grabbed for the menu as she watched him skim through the pages.

 

“Are you not hungry?” He asked without looking at her, “I mean I know I'm handsome...but I'm not going to fill you up.”

 

“I ate already...” she stated.

 

“I did too...” he closed the menu and leaned back in his seat, “then what should we do today?”

 

“Why are you acting like this?” she asked confused.

 

“You said you were slowly falling for me right?” He smiled, “You can't tell the heart to stop feeling what it feels...”

 

“I'm not your type of girl...”

 

“You're not,” he said, “but it doesn't hurt to give you a chance right?”

 

“How many girls have you said that to?”

 

“One...you.”

 

“I'm sorry, but I don't want your feelings because you pity me...” Nicole stood up as Yongguk grabbed onto her left wrist.

 

“Ani, honestly...I guess I am falling for you to...” He smiled.

 

Nicole felt her heart hurting. The image of Junhyung came flooding back as she closed her eyes with her back turned towards Yongguk. It felt as though the image of him were flying out. Why was it like this? Why? Yongguk though she hated him, though she never would’ve given a guy like him a chance seemed to slowly take Junhyung's place. She hated that. She hated it. Nicole opened her eyes as she slowly turned to face Yongguk.

 

“Bastard...” Nicole stated, “let go of me.” Nicole pulled away as Yongguk stared at her shock, “A guy like you who goes clubbing every night, who has girls chasing after them every morning...who can't get over his first love...don't play with me...” Yongguk stood up from where he was sitting and moved in closer towards Nicole who looked away.

 

“Correct...” he stated, “and yet I'm here like a fool asking you to be with me...” Nicole glared towards him, “maybe this will change your mind?” He leaned in as he pressed his lips against Nicole's. She tried to pull away as he held tightly onto her forcing her to stay.

 

Though she hated him she felt comfort from him. Something she hadn't felt in the longest time. He finally pulled away as Nicole stood still. He grabbed her hands as he led her out the store. Nicole pulled her hands out of his grip as he looked back at her who stood still.

 

“This doesn't mean anything...” she looked at him, “I don't know how many girls you've done that too but I'm not going to be a fool and fall into that trap...” She bowed towards him and began walking away. Yongguk watched as she walked away like how she did the other night.

 

“Please?” Nicole felt his body hugging her from behind in the middle of the street. People were passing by and she could now hear them whispering, “Please just give me a chance...”

 

Nicole pulled his hands off her shoulders. She took a step forward and felt the tears falling down slowly. She wanted to say yes...maybe it was time that she moved on, she wanted to turn around and hold onto him...many things did change in the past months after seeing and meeting Yongguk. The complete opposite of her perfect man. She wanted to turned around but Junhyung was holding her back. Deep inside she knew she could let go but she didn't want too. She stopped a few inches away from Yongguk as she turned around to see him staring deeply at her.

 

“Let me think some things through...I'll let you know...I'll call you...” with that she began walking home as he stood in the crowd.