Are You Happier?

Lonely is Fine

Junhyung leaned forward as he planted a kiss on the top of Nicole's forehead while he slowly let go of her hand.

"Be safe...alright?"  He asked of her then began walking away.  She watched as he vanished soon as the elevator doors closed.

"Why aren't you talking to any girls tonight?"  Himchan sat down beside Yongguk who shot down the cup of soju into his mouth.

"No one here tonight interests me..." He put his cup down, "everything is bitter tonight."  He stated half drunk.

"Don't drink because you're stress," Yoseob stated from across the table, "I know it's been a hard long week....but don't torture yourself."

Yongguk let the sound of the music covered his ears for him.  The music was loud and energetic yet he felt as though his mind and body couldn't cooperate.  He grabbed for another shot as he felt someone grabbing onto his wrist of his right hand.  He stared up and realized it was Hana; the girl that had been harassing him for the past few years, the one that grabbed Nicole by the face demanding Nicole to stay away from Yongguk.

"Phss..." Yongguk scoffed as he harshly pulled his hands away from her grip now grabbing onto the cup of soju and drinking it down in one shot.

"What's wrong with our Yonggukie tonight?"  She asked in an annoying way as Himchan and Yoseob awkwardly looked away, "You seem a bit aggressive tonight," she placed herself on his lap as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"What do you want?"  He looked at her half daze.  The strong smell of soju linger into her nose from his breath.

"You," she gave him a small smirk while she slid her fingers down his face now, "All I want is you."  She leaned foreword as she pressed her lips against him.  She gave him a small peck then inched slowly away, "I love you."

"You don't love me," he pushed her off sending her onto the floor, "you love the thought of being with me only."  He then took off walking away drunkly.

"Huh..." Hana sigh annoyed and embarrassed as she picked herself off the ground.

"Aish..." Himchan stared at her disgusted as he followed Yongguk.

"You're a pretty girl, don't give yourself away so easily."  Yoseob informed her as he now left too.

"Yah Yongguk!!" Himchan and Yoseob walked out of the bar as they watched Yongguk walking away.

"Bye!" He yelled out without turning back.

"I'll walk him home," Yoseob then ran towards him leaving Himchan behind.

Nicole stared at her phone. It was already eleven at night.  She set her phone on the ground beside her as she grabbed for the converse box underneath her bed.  She placed the box in front of her now as she opened it.

"It's been awhile," a bitter smile surfaced her face.

"Are you going to be okay?" Yoseob asked Yongguk who was sleeping in his bed now.

"Thank you..." He heard Yongguk's deep voice answering back, "your sister came by today..." Yoseob quickly shot a glance at Yongguk who had his back towards him.

"Gyuri noona was here?" He asked surprised.

"You gave her my addressed didn't you?" Yongguk now slowly turned his body around to look straight at Yoseob.

Nicole finished setting the table for breakfast. The morning was a bit dull in Seoul today.  She walked towards Junhyung's bedroom as she slowly opened his bedroom door.  His room was dark with a bit of dull light coming through his bedroom window.  He hadn't come back home, she told herself. She now fully opened his bedroom door as she the switch sending the lights on in his room.  His bed was nicely made, his desk beside his bedroom window to the left and his bed on the right with the end of the bed towards her.  She walked towards his desk and found a picture she thought she once threw away.

"So this is where you've been..." She smiled as she skim her finger tips across the picture frame. 

"Nicole..." She quickly turned around as her hands accidentally pushed the picture frame off Junhyung's desk sending it down to the ground with a loud crash, "are you okay?"  Junhyung quickly went to her side as he dropped down and picked up the shatter picture frame, "You're so clumsy." he laughed as she stared down at him.

"I'm sorry..."

Yongguk sat on the park benched outside the park near his house.  He stared at the playground with no one.  The wind whispered in his ears.  The thought of seeing Gyuri yesterday was too much.


----------------------------------------------------------------F L A S H B A C K----------------------------------------------------------------

"Yongguk..."

"Hyung," Yongguk cut Yoseob off, "tell me honestly...how is she living?"

"Seungho and Gyuri are well...will at least that's what she says." He replied.

"I don't mean the both of them...I mean just her..." He turned his back towards Yoseob while he closed his tired eyes.

"Why do you ask when you're the one that wanted nothing to do with her?"

"Because...today I sent her off like how I did five years ago, because this time something felt wrong...her voice, something about her voice asked me to help her...something about the way she answered me makes me worry." Yongguk hadn't realized he was already in tears, "because she haunts me everyday, because I still have yearnings..."

"Let her go," Yoseob stated, "you have to let her go."

"I want to...but every time I take a step forward she comes to wake me making me take a step back."

"Learn to take a step forward without having to go back." Yoseob replied.

"I just miss how me and her used to be...I miss her comfort..." With that he had fallen asleep.


----------------------------------------------------------------END OF F L A S H B A C K----------------------------------------------------------------


He lowered his head as he now stared at the cement floor.  The wind passed on by.  He imagined himself back in High School.  He sees himself looking out the classroom window and there he sees Gyuri with her group of friends.  Their eyes meets and he feels much better.  Though she was his senior, she was the first girl he had ever loved.  They met through his childhood friend Yang Seungho, and that's when the feelings began to linger and cling.  He snapped out of his thoughts and stared up towards the clear blue sky.

"You're saying sorry when you haven't done anything wrong," Junhyung dump the broken glass frame into his trash can that sat beside his desk, "breakfast is getting cold."  He now looked at her with a smile on his face.

"Oppa," Nicole lowered her head, "why don't you sleep on your bed?  Why do you sleep on the ground?" She stared at the mattress that was laid out on the floor, "Have you been sleeping like this for awhile now?"  She slowly lifted her head to look at him

"Oh..." he lowered his head, "yeah...it's just."

"It's fine," she cut him off, "breakfast is getting cold."  She walked passed him as he slowly followed behind.

Yongguk enter his apartment.  The room was dim with the blinds closed.  He made his way towards his small living room.  He sat down in the middle reaching for the controller in front of him as he turned the channel on.  He stopped at Gyuri and his favorite show, it brought a warm smile across his face.

"I'm okay without you, I'm doing well without you, I'm still able to meet with my friends and go out for drinks, lonely is fine...being lonely is fine."  He whispered these words in denial.

"I have to head back to the station now," Junhyung informed Nicole after breakfast, "you're off work today, go get some fresh air...it's not good to stay home all the time.  Got that?"  He smiled at her who nodded her head, "Bye." He leaned in for a kiss as she slowly pulled away which surprised him.

"I'll see you."  Nicole briefly stated, "Be careful at work."  He gave her an uncertain smile as he looked at her.

"Then I guess I'm off to work," he left without another word.

Nicole heard the doors shutting as she took in a deep sigh of guilt.  She pulled out her phone and went through her contact list.  She stumbled upon Yongguk's number once again and the image of him yesterday night came running back through her mind.  Was it a good thing, or was it a bad thing?  She suddenly had the urge to call him, her hands moved slowly towards the call button, then suddenly she was set a back from her own ring tone ringing.

*Incoming Call*

She stared at the caller id for a few seconds before actually picking up.

"Hey..." Nicole's body became stiff as she listen to the person on the other line speaking, "can we meet up?"

Yongguk waited outside the small cafe shop that was a few blocks away from his apartment.  He looked at his watch then began looking around.

"Yongguk..." He turned around and found Gyuri standing there, "you wanted to talk to me?"

Nicole stood outside Seoul's Hospital.  She looked up towards the tall building.

"Nicole," She felt someone tapping her right shoulder as she quickly turned around and saw Hoya, "you actually came this time." He smiled at her.

"Why wouldn't I?" She smiled lightly, "Where should we go?" She asked.

"Actually," he looked at her a bit concern, "I know you didn't want to do this but it's for the best..." Nicole slowly took a few steps back.

"I told you...already that I don't want to," she argued back.

"Nicole..."

"Ani!" She yelled as the tears welled up, "I don't want to...I told you I'm okay."

Yongguk and Gyuri sat inside the small cafe.  She looked thinner and fragile.  He couldn't understand why though. 

"I guess I'll start first," Yongguk tapped onto the side of his coffee mug with is right index finger, "I guess I was too harsh yesterday...it's just."

"You don't have to explain," she informed him, "I totally understand why you wouldn't want to talk, speak or see me...I wouldn't either."

"Gyuri," he quickly shifted his eyes away from his coffee mug and towards her, "it's just, it's still too much to take in..."

"It's been five years..." She stated, "I just miss my bestfriend."

"That's it?" He questioned her a bit disappointed, "Of course," he chuckled to himself, "Of course, only your friend...I guess I only did learn the bad things after all this time."

"Yongguk,"

"Are you happier now?  Are you living well?  Are you able to laugh now?  Is he treating you so well?  Or are you faking it up until now?" He cut her off, "Because to me, it seems like you'll fall apart at any minute now."

"Bang Yongguk..." Gyuri felt her face burning red as she clenched her fist, "he is still one of your best friend."

"Answer me, so I'll finally be able to cut you out of my life."

"When did you become like this?  When did you become such a...such a..."

"Jerk?" He finished her sentence for her, "The day you decided we were over, the day you and Seungho announced your marriage...the day you walked down that aisle, the day you exchanged vows with him, the day you were no longer mines...so it's been awhile...if you ask me."  He pushed his cup of coffee slightly to the side as he interwined his hands together while leaning forward now, "Phss," he grinned, "Being a nice guy I'm still last, being a jerk I'm still last for you.  What should I do?  Kill myself?"  He stared directly into her eyes.

"Death isn't something to make fun of," she stated a bit annoyed now by his attitude.

"Then is my feeling something to be made fun of Gyuri-ah?  Was it funny to play with my feelings then toss them aside?  Was it funny to announce to me that you were marrying my bestfriend?  I guess it was huh?"