Alone

Lonely is Fine

Nicole opened her door and found Yongguk standing outside.  She gave him a warm smile as she gestured for him to come inside.  He took off his shoes and slipped on the house slipper that was provided for him already.  Nicole closed the door behind her shut and led Yongguk towards her small living room.

"I just need to do one more thing then we can go." She stated.

"What is it?" He asked her, "Is it something serious?" He walked over towards her apartment window and stared outside.

"It's just...I just need to make a phone call to one of my close friend." Nicole smile as she left to her room.

Yongguk stared around. Her walls were pretty empty. A small picture frame there a small picture frame here.  He walked over towards the bathroom door and opened it.

"Oh, it's a room?" He told himself, "Who does this room belong too?" He opened the door wider and walked inside. There was a bed nicely made, with the bedroom window curtains closed and a desk next to the window.

Yongguk approached the desk and found a cracked picture frame sitting on the desk.  He picked it up and saw Nicole smiling happily next to a man who must've been the Junhyung boyfriend of hers. He set it back down and noticed a piece of paper on the desk. He picked it up.

"Hoya," Nicole smiled on the line, "I honestly think I'm doing better now."

"That's good to hear," he replied on the other line.

"I saw Yoseob Oppa..." She became quiet after that.

"Oh, really?" Hoya sigh, "How did you meet him?"

"We acted like total strangers..." She finally spoke up, "He isn't like the Oppa I use to know.  Very different. Very quiet."

"Hyung must've felt very uncomfortable." Hoya tried to laugh it off, "Aigooo, I have to go now. Talk to you later?"

"Nee..." Nicole clicked as she grabbed for her bag and headed out her bedroom door to find Yongguk gone.  She looked from across the room and saw Junhyung's bedroom door opened. She slowly approached the open door and saw him sitting down with his back towards her, "Yongguk-ah?" Nicole's voice startled him as he quickly stood up turning around as he mysteriously grabbed the piece of paper and cautiously sliding it into his back pocket, "What are you doing?" She asked.

"Ughhh..." He gulped down his saliva trying to think of a quick excuse, "I was looking at your picture with.." He quickly grabbed for the cracked picture frame, "your ex boyfriend?"

"Oh..." She looked a bit confused, "should we get going now?" He nodded his head in agreement as he set down the picture frame. As they exit the room Nicole closed Junhyung's bedroom door, "Lets go." She smiled.

Night was coming faster than Yoseob had thought.  He closed his eyes and thought about Yongguk's words.  He was becoming frustrated and angry at himself.  How was he going to knock some sense into Yongguk's head.  Did he not know that he was starting a fire he at the end won't be able to put out?

"Today was fun," Nicole smiled, "the evening sky is beautiful isn't it?" She now looked up towards Yongguk, "time sure goes by fast when you're having so much fun..."

"I guess," he smiled, "hey...how about let's go to the club tonight?" He smoothly asked her, "yeah?" The two stopped in the middle of the crowded sidewalk.

"The club?" Nicole shot him a concern look, "I don't like those kind of places..." She said, "I rather stay home..."

"But I really want you there...would you rather me go alone?" He asked.

"Wouldn't you rather go alone?  So that if you flirt with other girls I wouldn't know?"

"Ani," he turned away and began walking, "I think it'll be much more exciting if you were there..." He stopped and turned around to see Nicole unmoved.

"Fine," she walked towards him now, "I'll go with you tonight."

"Good," he smiled, "lets go..." They walked back towards Nicole's apartment like most newly pairs, no skin ship, no hand holding yet.

"I'll be here to pick you up at 9 sharp." He kind of demanded.

"What do you wear to a club?" She asked like a little kid.

"Anything nice...umm like a dress, not a long dress like those in the dramas, the main girl in a nice y fitted black or red dress with high heels..." He smiled.

"y?" Nicole felt uncomfortable just saying that word, "I don't know how to look y..."

"Anything will be okay." He didn't hug her as he got into his car, "bye!" With that he drove off.

"y?" She asked herself.

It was already nine now.  Yoseob, Himchan and Yongguk where outside Nicole's apartment building waiting on her now.  Yongguk continuously stared at his watch.  It was 9:03 and she hadn't called nor come out.

"Let me go get her," he turned off the engine and got out, "Oh..." He close the car door and notice Nicole walking towards him in her three inch black pumps, a sapphire shimmering one strapped dress with her hair pinned up into a messy curly bun showing her bare face and forehead.

"Is this good enough?" She asked a bit uncomfortable.

"That's...that's good." He smiled and was surprised at how different she looked, "Ahh, hurry," he cleared his throat and quickly got inside the car first, "it's getting late."

Nicole opened the passenger door and saw Yoseob and Himchan sitting in the back.

"Hello," Nicole smiled and bowed towards the guys before getting into the car.

Yongguk the engine and they headed towards the club.  Yoseob and Himchan stepped out first when they arrived while Nicole followed behind then Yongguk.

"Here," Yoseob took off his outer dress jacket and covered Nicole up, with that him and Himchan walked towards the entrance first.

Yongguk looked at Nicole from her side view and found himself now starring at the cement road.  He took in a deep breath and looked back up.

"Should we follow?" He turned to his left side and saw Nicole standing there.

"Oh," he smiled, "lets get in line."

When they got inside Himchan gestured for the two couple to get to their small room.

"Hyung, hurry!" Himchan smiled, "here, lets give toast for Nicole!" He lifted up his can of beer as the other two did the same.

"Oh, you guys don't have too..." She smiled a bit embarrassed.

The loud music was pounding. Himchan and Yoseob left to the dance floor as Yongguk and Nicole sat awkwardly in the small room with refreshment scattered all around the table.

"You're bored?" He asked her.

"No..." She gave him a warm smile.

"I am..." He leaned back in his seat.

"Yongguk?" A girl spotted him and walked in with two of her other friends, "You're here today?" She sat on his lap and wrapped her hands around his neck.

"How long have you been here?" Yongguk grinned as he stole a quick glance at Nicole who sat silently pulling Yoseob's dress jacket closer to her now.

"I've missed you so much," she laughed and her two friends stood by the door examining Nicole, "who's that girl?" She turned to look at Nicole.

"Her?" Yongguk looked at Nicole with full attention now, "hmmm..."

"Ani, I can careless, you're all mines tonight!" She laughed and right when she was about to kiss Yongguk he stared directly at Nicole's eyes that stared right back at his.

"Lets go," Nicole took her eyes off Yongguk and saw Himchan standing in front of her now, he grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her out the room.

Before the girl's lip could reach his he pulled away and pushed her off him.

"That was my girlfriend," Yongguk smiled, "I'm sorry I'll be leaving now." He grabbed his things and headed out trying to follow Nicole and Himchan.

Himchan let go of Nicole's hand when they got outside the clubs entrance.  He let out a heavy sigh and stared up towards the sky.

"Is that how he lives?" Nicole's question surprised Himchan, "Is this the excitement that he wanted?"

"He's..."

"He's playing with you!" Nicole turned around and saw Yoseob walking furiously towards Nicole, "Are you stupid!" He grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her only to be stopped by Yongguk holding onto Nicole's other wrist.

"Let go of her." His deep voiced demanded.

"Ani...game over..." Yoseob stated, "I'm taking her home.  You played your game are you happier now?" He became so angry that his eyes turned red and watery.

"Oppa..." Nicole looked at Yoseob.

"Oppa?" Himchan and Yongguk both stated surprised as Yongguk slowly let go of her wrist.

"You two know each other?" Yongguk asked as Yoseob now let go of Nicole's wrist.

"He's...he's my..." Nicole couldn't find her voice, "he's my late sister's fiancé."

"Hyung..." Himchan shot a glance at Yoseob who turned his head away.

Yongguk took a step back and headed back into the club.

"Hyung!" Himchan followed Yongguk leaving the other two alone.

"I'll catch a cab for you." Yoseob walked away towards the street as Nicole followed.

"I'm sorry," she stated.

"Ani," he replied, "can I talk to you for awhile before I send you home?" Nicole nodded her head.

Nicole unlocked her apartment door. She the door light then closing the door behind her locked and shut. She took off the heels that were killing her feet and slipping into her house slippers. She made her way into the shower and washed up. After she placed herself in bed and turned off her small night lamp she slowly closed her eyes.

 


==================================f l a s h b a c k==================================



"Don't blame Hoya anymore..." Nicole stated first, "he did all that he could."

"Aniya, he should've done better..." Yoseob closed his eyes, "then maybe your sister would still be here...she'll be next to me.  I'll be waking up to her every morning..." Yoseob opened his eyes now.

"Oppa..." Nicole looked at him.

"You two should stop before someone ends up hurt." He finally brought up the issue that had been bothering him.

"What?" Nicole asked surprised.

"You two are playing a game on one another not knowing it...you two are cruel...using one another to get over your first love..."

"Oppa..."

"Oppa, Oppa..." Yoseob grunted, "that's all that you can say because you know I'm right...stop it okay?" He looked at Nicole who dare not look at him, "like I told Yongguk don't mess with someone else's feeling just so you can heal yours."

"You knew this because of my reaction towards that girl earlier right?" Nicole lowered her head ashamed that Yoseob had figured her out.

"You didn't seem mad or angry, I walked by and you seemed awkward so I told Himchan to get you," he closed his eyes once again this time lifting his head up towards the sky, "two fire does not stop a burning fire it only increases wild fire to spread..."

"He's a bad man..." Nicole felt her tears trickling down her cheeks, "I hate guys like him..."

"But it seems as though his plan backfired." Yoseob stated.

"What?" Nicole asked.

"I've known Yongguk for the longest time..." He leaned forward folding his hands together, "he's never ran after a girl when she's upset...unless it was Gyuri.  He never tried to stop a girl from leaving...unless it was Gyuri, he's never held onto a girls wrist...unless it was Gyuri's, he's never looked that upset...unless it was Gyuri."

"Yoseob-shi..."

"What I'm saying is...he has really fallen for you without noticing it.  But he's going to keep acting like the punk he is since he's so stubborn."

"I...." Nicole lifted up her head, "I..."

"And after Gyuri...you were the only girl he asked to be his girl...he didn't use those tricks on anyone else...it's hard to believe though it's true.  He maybe get a lot of girls but you Nicole-ah, he saw something in you."

"How did you know?"

"Of course he'll talk to me and Himchannie about it.  That's why we have friends right?" He laughed, "But the question is, if he was to confess that he truly likes you how are you going to take it?"

"Aren't we already dating?" Nicole grinned, "I mean..."

"But for the wrong reasons..." He shook his head disappointed.

"I like him...then I don't..."


==================================end of flashback==================================


Nicole quickly opened her eyes and made her way towards Junhyung's room. She remember the letter she had written. She stared at the empty desk with only the broken picture frame.

"Did I throw it away?" She asked herself, "Of course you threw it away...if you didn't Yongguk would've seen it..." She sigh in relief as she made her way back into her bedroom.

"I like him...then I don't"

1 month later

"You two haven't seen each other at all?" Himchan asked Yongguk who was getting his clothes ready for laundry.

"Yup and I kind of don't want to talk about it." Yongguk sighed.

"You kind of don't want to talk about it.." Himchan smiled, "but I guess I'll get going then." Himchan rolled off Yongguk's bed and headed out and left.

Yongguk sat still for a bit.  He and Nicole hadn't talk after that incident at the club.  He stood up and walked over towards his kitchen opening his fridge which was usually filled with beer bottles and cans were now filled with water and juice. He grabbed for the water bottle and headed back into his room.  Something inside of him changed. He no longer spent his nights at the bar or club but instead out at the gym or home getting back on his feet.  He visited his father often since he must've been lonely since the passing of his late mother.  Yoseob and him became more distant.  They hung around each now and there but not like how they used too. Gyuri had vanished completely. Though he would think of her from time to time. Then there was Nicole...they were still in a relationship.  It's not like they ever had an official break up.

"Should I call?  Should I not?" He sat down beside his bed and placed his water bottle beside him.

"Should I call? Should I not?" Nicole asked herself who was standing outside his apartment building, "Babo...if he wanted to talk to you he would've called a long time ago..." She placed her phone back into the front pocket of her jacket and turned back heading home.

"Aishhh!" He accidentally knocked down his water bottle that wasn't closed as the water spilled under his bed, he quickly picked up the water bottle and noticed something under, "oh...how did this get under here?" He pulled out one of his pants and threw it towards the other pile of laundry he was going to do later on. Then a piece of paper fell out of the back pocket that caught his attention.  He realized that it was the letter he didn't get to read the day he was at Nicole's.  He leaned forward and picked up the folded letter and opened it.

"Dear Self..." He began reading it.