Chapter 9

Scar

 

"Are you seriously just going to sit there and cut apples for me?" Joon playfully pouted.
 
Mir was doing well with his angry attitude - partly because he was still hurt by the lies, if only a little. So he didn't look at his boyfriend and slowly rotated the red fruit in his hand. "When you get better, there'll be more. So hurry up and get out of here."
 
To emphasis the look, Joon crossed his arms. "No fair. You started out being mad at me and now that you know, you won't even kiss me. I'm feeling very un-loved over here, Mieru."
 
Mir rolled his eyes and handed him the apple - straight to his face. Joon laughed and easily dodged out of the way, taking the fruit with a large bite. Mir scoffed and rolled his eyes once more.
 
A nurse walked in with a large smile on her annoymous face. "I'll change your IV, please." She announced and Mir made room by scooting his chair aside so she could reach the bag of fluids. The nearly empty clear plastic was unhooked and rehooked with a filled gel rather quickly. In a strange moment, both Mir and the nurse watched the nutrients flow down the tube into Joon's arm.
 
The effect was immediate. The apple fell out of Joon's hand and his entire arm froze up. The freezing spread to his entire left side and the muscles in his neck spasmed and stiffened to where Mir could see the veins and arteries not too far under the skin. "Joon?" Mir stood up slowly, cautiously. The stiffness, suddenly, took over his whole body and he was convulsing and spasming, coughing up spit and apple chunks. The scary sound of Joon vainly in air had a sob crawling out of Mir's throat.
 
The nurse - when had she left? - ran in with a doctor on her heels. The elder man none too gently pushed Mir aside and ran his hands over Joon, trying to find the problem. Mir felt his breath hitched in his throat with tears pouring out his eyes. "Joon?" Nurses ran past him and huddled around the arched-up idol and Mir let the dam go. "Joon! Joon!" He ran to the bed, held back only a few feet by a woman. "Tell me what's wrong! Joon! Joon! What's wrong? Joon!"
 
"Cheolyeong-shi, please. You need to calm down. Please, come outside." It was a struggle for her to move the maknae out, but as soon as she did, she ran back into the room and locked Mir out.
 
Mir was tempted to run back into the door, but something inside of him told him it would just create more problems. He was stuck in the hall, pacing and worrying more and more.
 
He didn't know how long it was until the door came un-done and the flood of extra-nurses came out, each of their faces exhausted from the sudden shock. As Mir walked closer, he realized the nurse from before was left behind, cowering beneath the doctor scolding her.
 
"How could you let this happen? Do you know what could've happened if we had missed this?" The doctor snapped at her, sneering.
 
"Sunbae...I'm so sorry. I didn't...I'm so sorry. I just didn't..." She stared through the man, wide eyes showing her terror.
 
"What happened?" Mir cut in, walking straight to Joon's side. His hand slowly reached for Joon's - Joon's limp, unconscious hand. His sight blurred and he had to close his eyes to try and hold his composure.
 
The man and woman exchanged a look and the woman stepped up. She was obviously shamed and she couldn't entirely look at him. "Lee Changsun-shi's IV pouch was combined with an anesthetic that reacted badly with the anti-biotics. I am so sorry, Cheolyeong-shi. I didn't know...I'm so sorry."
 
The IV pouch...That was where Mir stopped listening. The IV, it wasn't the nurse's fault. It was contaminated.
 
I swear, Mir! Me and Joon will be together!
 
Ahn Kan Mi. It had to be her.
 
Mir let go of Joon's hand and marched out of the room. This one move - this terrible, cruel move - was the last straw. Joon didn't want to acknowledge her, but that didn't mean Mir was going to. No, he wasn't just going to acknowledge her - he was going to get rid of her.