Chapter 13

Scar

 

When Joon opened his eyes, he found he was surrounded by all sorts of people. His parents, his band-mates, his manager, and Bi. Usually, he would be worried when he was crowded by so many bodies, but the only thing that crossed his mind was that there was a lack of Mir. He looked to Seungho and asked where their maknae was.
 
Seungho grasped his shoulder and sighed. “Joon-ah...I really wish I didn't need to tell you this.”
 
As fast as he could, or as fast as his body would let him, Joon sat up. “What happened to him?”
 
Thunder looked at Seungho. “Maybe we shouldn't tell him just yet. He's been through a lot.”
 
“No, tell me now. What happened to Mir?”
 
The people about him exchanged looks. It was his mother who handed him a smart-phone, with a video ready to play. Taking it in his hands, Joon looked about. With no reaction to gauge, he only had the choice to press play.
 
And now we turn to breaking news. At 6:43 this morning, two bodies were found in the maze of the Namgyeong Fortress Park. Upon closer investigation, it has been discovered that one of the bodies is MBLAQ's Bang Mir Cheolyong, shot through the heart at close range. Along with him was a young woman later identified as Ahn Kan Mi.
 
The police have classified this tragic incident as a double suicide. There has been no connection made between this and the suicide attempt of fellow MBLAQ member Lee Joon Changsun.
 
Joon blinked for a moment. The words didn't sink in and he stared at the black screen. Slowly, he lifted his head and looked at his parents. Slowly, they nodded in response and it hit him.
 
Mir was dead.
 
“Wha...how...how did this happen? Did she...how could she...Oh my god.” The phone dropped and his head fell into his hands.
 
“We don't know. He left the dorm last night after your attack and nobody heard from him until this morning. We all saw the news.” Seungho explained.
 
“But...we found this in your room.” GO lifted his hand and in it was a clean-pressed letter. “It's addressed to you. None of us have read it.” He said as he handed the letter to Joon.
 
Nobody knew what to say, so as Joon stared at the white paper, they all filed out. The room was silent for the longest stretch. Joon didn't know if he really wanted to read what Mir had to write. It felt like if he did, then it would be finalized. Mir would truly be dead.
 
But he really didn't have any choice. Joon turned the envelope over and pulled the letter out.
 
Joon,
 
When you read this, I'm sure you'll have heard about my death. Let me tell you the truth that I'm sure, the police wouldn't have realized.
 
I killed Ahn Kan Mi. And then I killed myself.
 
When I realized she was the one to put the poison in your IV bag, I couldn't stand it anymore. You were probably taking the right path, ignoring her, but I couldn't do that anymore. I wouldn't be able to live if she had done worse to you. So I took matters into my own hands. I know I said we would fight her together, but if she could plant a bomb in your car and sneak in into a hospital and poison you - I'd rather she killed me first before she could get to you.
 
Everything in me is telling me that I'm doing the right thing, protecting her from you, but I know the truth. That me and her are just the same – consumed with loving you. The only thing I can reason to be the difference between us is that I won't force you to live with everything I've done. That's why I had to die with her. I wouldn't be able to live with myself, burdening you with my skeletons. I'm happy to die for you to live and find someone you can be with happily and without anyone hurting you.
 
If you hate me, I accept it with my whole-heart. I just want you to know that my last thought were of you. I'll love you even when I'm dead.
 
I love you, Joon,
 
Bang Cheolyong.
 
The tears didn't fall till Joon looked up. He hiccuped and tried to sniffle the water back into his eyes, but they fell nonetheless. The words played in his head again and in shock, he laughed. His hand covered his face and he looked down to cry in dignity.
 
Why did Mir have to do this? Even if death was the only solution, he would've forgiven Mir. They could've moved past it and years down the road, seen it as only a bump they had to go over. Why did Mir have to leave him all alone. Even worse, how could Mir expect him to find a new love?
 
Joon held the letter to his heart. “I love you, too, Mir.”